The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2001, 02:33 PM   #26
Patrick Graham

Another WW231 Vote here.
I've done Power Pistol in 9mm but it's a bit much.
Old January 7, 2001, 04:20 PM   #27
bullet44

Hawk;
Yep, red dot cleaner then it was, I also find it gives
better accuracy in lite loads,9mm, 9x18 and also I
have a stub nose 38 that likes it. I use w231,bullseye,
titegroup and will end up with red dot for practice
loads in the above cals.
Old January 10, 2001, 05:14 AM   #28
Walt Welch

I suggest that you go to the proper source for W231 reloading data: the Winchester Reloading Guide. You can download a copy at: http://winchesterpdf.thirdeyemedia.n...dersmanual.pdf

There you will find two different loads for a 115 gr. JHP; 4.3 gr. 231 yielding a velocity of 1010 fps. and a pressure of 25,800 psi. The second load is 4.8 gr. 231, yielding 1130 fps. at 32,100 psi. No bbl. length or OAL was given.

These loads are substantially lower than some you will find recommended. Winchester cut down their loads in 9 x 19 several years ago after rechecking loading data using the more accurate piezoelectric method. Does this mean that it is safe for you to use the old data? Hardly.

You have picked a nasty cartridge to reload. Small variables can make a great pressure difference. Consider OAL; one load generating a safe 28,000 cup went to over 50,000 cup when the bullets were intentionally seated 0.035" deeper. Differences in powder, primer, bullet and case lots can also change pressure. Make sure you take your dial caliper to the range and measure cartridges after they get fed into the chamber. Then take one cartridge and feed it into the chamber several times manually (this simulates repeatedly loading a cartridge used for duty purposes). Make sure there is no bullet set back.

Think I am being picky? I was once reloading 9 x 19 using a Rem 115gr JHP, which I buy in bulk plastic bags. The rim of the hollow point looked funny. I compared some old bullets with the new ones; Rem had changed their manufacturing process; the new bullets were 0.030" longer OAL. Since they had the same ogive, this would have resulted in bullets seated 0.030" deeper than before. Maintain a high level of suspicion.

Consider the above Win data. Without an OAL, these data are fairly useless. You will need to go to other sources to find out their recommendations for W 231 and OALs for specific bullets. Learning to be persistant and thorough in reloading will serve you well. It has me, for over 40 years.

Hope this helps, Walt