The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 3, 2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Farmalljon

New gen 4 Glock 21 and Pierce Ammo w/Brass bullets???

Guys, I just got a brand new gen 4 Glock 21 a few days ago and I'm dying to try it out. I just came from L.L. Bean where I found two 50 round boxes of Pierce 230gr. FMJ .45 ACP ammo for $31.00 per box. It's made in the USA, uses cases that are headstamped "SPEER", and BRASS jacketed FMJ bullets. Anyone ever used this ammo before or ever seen brass jacketed bullets before? My question is, Can I safely shoot this ammo with it's brass jacketed bullets out of my gen 4 Glock 21? Any issues using brass bullets with Glock's polygonal rifling like there is with lead bullets?? There is no mention of brass jacketed bullets on Pierce's website. Can anyone confirm that they have seen factory loaded Pierce .45 ACP ammo loaded with brass jacked bullets? What's going on here?
Old March 3, 2013, 09:01 PM   #2
chris in va

Brass isn't much different from copper in the hardness department. It's actually 70%Cu, 30%Zn. I don't see an issue with it, others can comment further.

BTW I put over a thousand LRN through my 21 with zero leading.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

Remington Golden Saber JHP's are brass plated and some of the best defensive rounds available. The barrel steel is much harder than brass or copper. You'll be fine.

The foreign bi-metal jacketed bullets definitely do wear out the barrel much faster... but even that's negligible. The money saved on buying cheap bi-metal jacketed rounds can pay for 10 replacement barrels by the time you'll need to replace one.
Old March 4, 2013, 09:51 PM   #4
pat701

Shoot it!!