The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 24, 2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Saltydog235

Lessons Learned

Since deer season kicked off, our hog problem has been growing and growing. They come in an eat up all the corn in a single night but there is the problem, we only see the evidence at night.

Well, I organized a hog drive through a bog that's just torn up with hog sign. We walked the entire mile long bog and jumped a few deer but no hogs. After getting back to the clubhouse I went to corn a stand that hasn't had hogs on it yet. Riding back to the club I turned onto the road and 100 yards from me 15 big pigs were crossing the road. I goosed the truck and got near them, jumped out, realized I had unloaded my shotgun and cased it, grabbed my rifle, jumped up on the toolbox but had no shot at them through the thick planted pines. Had the shotgun not been cased and set up where all I had to do was drop a shell in the chamber with the mag still loaded the Benelli and I could have flat out massacred those pigs.

Heck I had forgotten I did have my .357 S&W 66 sitting in the console with two speed loaders of 158grn HP. From now on the scattergun will be in the front seat, mag loaded and ready to drop the first shot in the action and a revolver will be close at hand or maybe the 1911 at the very least.

Dern sneaky pigs.
Old October 24, 2011, 08:25 PM   #2
darkroommike

I guess it depends on where you live. In SD we can't carry a shotgun "loaded and locked" in a vehicle.
Old October 24, 2011, 10:42 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I guess it depends on where you live. In SD we can't carry a shotgun "loaded and locked" in a vehicle.
It depends on the definition of "loaded".
Around here, there has to be a cartridge in the "firing position" (in the chamber for most firearms, or top of the magazine for open-bolt designs); and it must take fewer than 2 actions to cause the weapon to discharge (not including taking the safety off).

So... If you have an empty chamber in a closed-bolt firearm, that will take 2 actions to make it fire, you're good to go (such as operating the slide/bolt/whatever, and pulling the trigger; or cocking the hammer of a single action revolver, and pulling the trigger). According to the legal definition, it is unloaded.

When I'm leaving for a hunting trip, I fully load the magazine/cylinders of every firearm I am taking. Rifles and shotguns will keep an empty chamber, to be legally unloaded. Handguns can legally be concealed in my vehicle, though. The handguns all remain legally "loaded".

And, then there's Wyoming... When I hunt in Wyoming, I still return to the empty chamber, when getting in a vehicle. But, I don't have to. If I wanted to, I could keep every firearm in the vehicle in Condition 0, while remaining legal.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; October 24, 2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: typo typo typo
Old October 24, 2011, 11:14 PM   #4
Discern

Do your laws and regulations allow shooting from a road and/or from a vehicle?
Old October 25, 2011, 01:27 AM   #5
briandg

I hope you manage to kill every hog you ever see in your entire life from this point forward. I even suggest that you give up deer hunting, and go into hog hunting.

Kill all those things.
Old October 25, 2011, 06:08 AM   #6
Saltydog235

This isn't a paved or state maintained road. Its a logging road on the timber tract the club is on. We don't hunt the roads or allow shooting down them as a general practice but with a shotgun and limited ranges coupled with the hog issue, its not a problem.