The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 28, 2011, 05:51 PM   #101
C0untZer0

I don't know everything that goes into determining what guns criminals use - but one factor is that they use stolen firearms. So the most popular caliber being sold to the public eventually factors in to what criminals use to commit crimes.

Another factor I beleive is that most criminals tend to get less expensive weapons, thus you see a lot of Lorcin, Raven, Bryco, and Davis firearms.

I am guessing that that the Smiths are seen because of their popularity, there are a lot out there so as a percentage of stolen firearms there are a high percentage of Smiths, therefor a large number of Smiths find their way into the hands of criminals.

The statistics have been changing... moving from a preponderance of 38 special to a preponderance of 9mm autos.

What I'm getting from these statistics is that it would be rare to be assaulted / shot at with a .44 magnum.

Less rare but still improbable to be shot at with .357 magnum The statistics don't show if .357 magnum bullets are coming out of the .357 magnum revolvers

Most likely to be shot at with 9mm, 38spl, 22, 380 auto or a .25

It could move the decision making pprocess away from Level II vs. IIIa and more about IIa vs. II

Level IIa doesn't seem that bad to wear...
Old September 28, 2011, 05:53 PM   #102
Shadi Khalil

C0untZer0,

For all the thought and research you've put into this, you'd better be wearing a vest by the end of the week.

Old September 28, 2011, 09:05 PM   #103
chadstrickland

True enough bud..true enough

I was just sitting here thinking that a criminal is just a person that commits crimes. I am a person and if i was to snap and rob a gas station or w/e I have a ar15, fn spr 308 rifle and sig p226 pistol. Those would be my weapons of choice.

Although I don't know how much money I could make using almost 6000 dollars worth of guns that I would have to throw away after nocking over my only local gas station that probably only has 400 bucks in the register. Counter productive perhaps but after watching cops dumbest criminals lol it wouldn't be far off the mark. Especially since the people that work there has known me since I was a infant.

Idk perhaps I just cannot see things from a criminals perspective. I would feel safer to protect myself against someone using equal to greater firepower than I would bring to a fight.

On the other hand I cannot really protect myself against someone on a hill top with my 308 about to shoot me in the head so if I was to wear body armor I would go for the most comfortable stuff out there. Protection from pistol rounds would be sufficient. But I am fat and lazy so if I felt the need to put a vest on its going to be 111a with 4a trauma plates. However that is just my personal opinion. If someone eles thinks it is a good idea and the rewards outweigh the suffering then im not going to hate. Or if they are like double naught spy and like to wear them in the winter because of not only protection but how it helps keep there core body temperature up then I think that's a brilliant idea that im probably going to borrow and see how it works

But just as a final thought. My luck if I was to suffer and wear body armor someone would shoot me in the side where no plate is at with a bow and arrow
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old September 28, 2011, 10:11 PM   #104
TXGunNut

You are on duty, on patrol. The weather has been warm--about 80 degrees. Most folks are nice and comfortable in their summer weight clothing.-Powderman

Yep, try bike patrol in TX. Morning lows of 80, highs in triple digits. It's not about the funk, it's the heat rash! Good news is that when you actively work 8 hour shifts on a bike you can't eat or drink enough to gain weight. And yes, I wore a helmet too!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 28, 2011, 10:21 PM   #105
C0untZer0

A criminal is not merely someone who commits crimes. Especially when we are talking about armed robbery or buglary. In most cases, criminals are very different pyscologically from your average law abiding citizen. Generally speaking, criminals have very poor impulse control, exhibit poor emotional control, generally have fewer coping mechanisms and inferior coping mechanism, or maladaptive coping mechanisms like addictions. Some criminals are very smart and I've remarked before that they may exert a lot of metal energy learning how to bypass very sophisticated theft deterent devices and alarm systems, and if they'd just applied that energy in school, they would have a god job and wouldn't need to turn to crime. But it's really more than that. It's not just about intelligence, it's about socialization and being social. It's a very complex social issue with complex psycological components.

Generally speaking though, a criminal is not going to hand on to a AR15 or an M1A rifle for very long, he or she wants the money, not the rifle and they can't really use a rifle to rob people.

Criminals are going to gravitate toward handguns as a tool for carrying out crimes.

The reason I'm saying this is that generally speaking I am not in danger from a law abiding citizen who owns quality firearms suddenly flipping and deciding to rob me or just kill me.

Generally speaking if I have an encounter with a crimina it will be with a Smith, Lorcin, Raven, Bryco, and Davis firearms in 9mm, 38spl, 22, 380 auto or a .25
Old September 29, 2011, 11:20 AM   #106
Glenn E. Meyer

Psychological - helps to spell it correctly, if you expound your theories - which may or may not be true.

But that's not our domain - this is about dressing up. So let's skip the social science babble.
Old September 29, 2011, 11:53 AM   #107
Stressfire

Quote:
Generally speaking if I have an encounter with a crimina it will be with a Smith, Lorcin, Raven, Bryco, and Davis firearms in 9mm, 38spl, 22, 380 auto or a .25
6 inch knife or dagger might be a concern - easier to get (even for criminals)

Vest might pad a bit, but with enough force or a sharp enough tip, that puppy is goin through
Old September 29, 2011, 01:49 PM   #108
C0untZer0

I was making a point Glen that criminals are not merely “one of us” who one day decide to use the weapons they have to rob and kill. Most criminals follow a psychological pattern that is different.

Many people on this board have a quality handgun in a major caliber, a shotgun, and a high-powered rifle. Very few criminals do. The things that make criminals different mentally – whether it be called greed, stupidity, shortsightedness or whatever, makes it unlikely that I if I face a threat from one of them – I am facing a 7mm mag deer rifle, or 10mm auto or .44 magnum revolver.

I was refuting a point that chadstrickland made “I was just sitting here thinking that a criminal is just a person that commits crimes. I am a person and if i was to snap and rob a gas station or w/e I have a ar15, fn spr 308 rifle and sig p226 pistol. Those would be my weapons of choice.”

That seemed to indicate that you never know whose going to turn rogue and need to wear Level III with trauma plates to be prepared.
Old September 30, 2011, 10:07 AM   #109
Glenn E. Meyer

That's it, the thread has strayed from it's purpose and into areas that the OP has only uninformed speculation. Seems to be more for attention than realistic advice.

Closed.