The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 30, 2009, 10:57 AM   #1
carguychris

Shipping ammunition

Howdy all,

I've got several boxes of ammo that I can't use.* I'm thinking about advertising it online, but I'd like to be clear on the legalities.

I understand that I have to label the box with "AMMUNITION, SMALL ARMS" and the letters "ORM-D" with a rectangular box around them. I also understand that I have to use UPS or FedEx.

Questions:

1) Which states or cities have restrictions on receiving ammo?

2) Do I have to file any hazmat paperwork, or is the labeling on the box enough?

3) What steps should I reasonably take to ensure that it's not going to someone underage? Is it OK to simply opt for the "Adult Signature Required" option when I ship it?

Thanks!

*The ammo is .32 Long! Don't go PMing me in hopes of scoring some .22LR, 9mm Luger, or .380ACP, I don't have any of that to sell to you!
Old April 30, 2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

ORM-D (Other Regulated Material - Domestic) shipments are regulated by the D.O.T.

The following is taken from the Adazon (Label & Barcode Solutions) site.

Quote:
Title 49 CFR states in Chapter 1, section 173.63 the packaging exceptions to full regulation. Under that section, (b) Cartridges, small arms, may be reclassed, and offered for transportation, and transported as ORM–D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM–D material is limited to:

Under this “limited to” section, there is item (i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun; and (iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shot shells.

This is the critical part to shipping ammunition. If it is 50 caliber or less, or 8 gauge or less, UPS will take the shipment in a sturdy box marked with a ORM-D, Cartridges, Small Arms label on the outside of the box. UPS does recommend using this label as opposed to a regular ORM-D label from our research and inquiries to UPS themselves. Part 172, subchapter E states the label should be affixed near the shipping address location on the package. By placing it here, the carrier will see it as they direct the package to the correct location during shipment.

Now, under section 173.115, part (v) it states that cartridges, and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packaging. The label marking is the same as above.
It is lawful to send ammunition through the US Post Office, but of late, non-FFL holders have had some trouble in local offices accepting shipments. Varies by locale.

The black label, with yellow lettering, is the one reccommended by the D.O.T. A single page pdf of this label is available here. Also available are blue and white labels, in the same format.
Old April 30, 2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Chipperman

Just advertise locally. You'll probably get as much money right now, and with much less headache.
Old April 30, 2009, 12:50 PM   #4
carguychris

Quote:
Just advertise locally. You'll probably get as much money right now, and with much less headache.
I was intending to do that; I just wanted to check my options. Ironically, I'm selling one of the few pistol calibers that my local dealers have planty of.
Old April 30, 2009, 01:35 PM   #5
CowTowner

And which caliber would that be?
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 30, 2009, 01:40 PM   #6
carguychris

Quote:
And which caliber would that be?
.32 S&W Long. "Cowtown" as in Ft. Worth? You want to buy it? PM me.
Old May 29, 2009, 05:54 PM   #7
Jofaba

This is pretty closely related so I feel comfortable posting my question in here, saving the creation of a new/near identical thread.

I am trying to sell my GSG5 on this site. I would like to juice the sale a bit by including around 400 rounds of Federal value .22 ammo. Is that legal? I know I can't ship them together, and I will be sure to follow all laws if I have to ship the gun and ammo, though I am really hoping to find someone local so we can exchange in person (also saving them shipping and fees).

Is it legal for me to include this open box of ammo with the sale?

Thanks!
Old May 31, 2009, 10:06 PM   #8
EOD Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipitas
ORM-D (Other Regulated Material - Domestic) shipments are regulated by the D.O.T.
It's Other Regulated Material - D. The D doesn't stand for anything. There used to be 5 subdivisions of the ORM hazard class, A through E. All the others were integratred into other hazard classes, leaving ORM-D by itself.
Old June 1, 2009, 05:43 AM   #9
dakuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofaba
This is pretty closely related so I feel comfortable posting my question in here, saving the creation of a new/near identical thread.

I am trying to sell my GSG5 on this site. I would like to juice the sale a bit by including around 400 rounds of Federal value .22 ammo. Is that legal? I know I can't ship them together, and I will be sure to follow all laws if I have to ship the gun and ammo, though I am really hoping to find someone local so we can exchange in person (also saving them shipping and fees).

Is it legal for me to include this open box of ammo with the sale?

Thanks!
As long as it is shipped separately and packaged sufficiently, I can't think of any reason why you could not include the ammo.