The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 5, 2009, 06:22 PM   #1
justinicus

7.62x39 and the dreaded magnet test

Alright, I'm irked. I'd known about steel-core ammo for a while, and I thought that's what the "magnet-test" was all about, when it came to using ammo at the range. I just learned today what "bi-metal" means, that it is also forbidden at all my local ranges, and that the 500rnds of Wolf soft-point I had on backorder from Cabela's fit that particular bill (not listed in the product description, of course).

Cabela's folks dug that information up for me, though, and cancelled my order without a hitch... but now I'm left with a few extra bucks and no ammo. I think I have it figured out now -- if it's under $0.50/round, it's verboten. Does that sound about right?

Does anyone know of a budget-priced 7.62x39 line that uses a proper range-friendly copper jacket and lead core? I have an SKS here that I'd sure like to put my first shots through! On that note, I've heard all about the slam-fires on soft American primers... is there any hard primed military-style stuff with a copper jacket? Or am I stuck spending $50 or so on one of those Murray firing pins?

Thanks in advance!

----- EDIT ------

Totally forgot; what started me wondering how much I DON'T know... Winchester Super-X. I thought, hey, there's a brand I know.. shouldn't have any problem with them, right? Then in the Sportsman's Guide description, "SilvertipĀ®: Bullet made of hard alloy that protects the lead core and delivers top energy release." Hard alloy? bi-metal is a hard alloy! :O

Anyone know if Winchester Super-X "hard alloy" will pass the magnet test?

Last edited by justinicus; April 5, 2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: added info
Old April 5, 2009, 06:28 PM   #2
ISC

look for some yugo ammo. its corrosive but fmj lead
Old April 5, 2009, 06:34 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

find a better range...
Old April 5, 2009, 06:44 PM   #4
KLRANGL

You're not talking about Blue Ridge are you?
They always give me **** when I bring in wolf, but its not steel core so they let it pass. Its got steel in the jacket so it doesn't pass a magnet test, so sometimes they bust out the clippers and destroy one of my bullets. On occasion ive been known to fill up all 5 mags with wolf and run 2 Winchester rounds on top just to not get hassled. Deceitful yes, but im not breaking range rules.
If the range really doesnt allow steel jackets (bimetal) which is stupid, then find some Yugo as ISC said...

True steel core should be banned from import by the ATF and as such should be hard to source.
Old April 5, 2009, 06:59 PM   #5
justinicus

Yep, Blue Ridge, and I remember hearing the same about the NRA HQ, though I haven't been there yet. Are you sure BR lets you use steel-jacketed? I was just there about a month ago, and saw them turn a guy away for that. I wonder if it was just a clueless clerk, or if they changed the rules...
Old April 5, 2009, 09:50 PM   #6
B. Lahey

Sellier & Belloit makes some nice no-steel 7.62x39. It's not supercheap, but it's quite a bit less expensive than the Winchester and Federal hunting ammo.
Old April 5, 2009, 10:16 PM   #7
alberich

The problem with cheap military surplus is the hard jacket, not the core, and ofc the corrosive primes.
However this is not a prob with rifles with hardchromed chambers and bores, originally designed for a fullauto fire using this stuff.
I'd never use a cheap surplus in a "civilian" rifle, namely if it's smallbore fast round like .223 Remington, but 7.62x39 will be more forgiving.
Old April 5, 2009, 10:45 PM   #8
cornbush

There are a couple manufacturers in South Africa that make good copper jacketed stuff, can't remember their names though. I think one of them might have been CHEETAH.
Old April 6, 2009, 12:13 AM   #9
KLRANGL

Quote:
Are you sure BR lets you use steel-jacketed?
They let me use mine, and it was in late February (they just clipped one of the bullets in half). I'll most likely be heading there tomorrow with a bunch of wolf 762 so we'll see what happens. If they give me problems, i'll just talk engineering speak about how mild steel isnt a problem until their heads explode...
Old April 6, 2009, 08:01 AM   #10
justinicus

For the record, I just heard back from the NRA rangemaster -- they say bi-metal is just fine at the NRA HQ range. Thanks for the leads everyone!
Old April 6, 2009, 11:14 AM   #11
chris in va

It's been about a year since I went to the NRA range, but they had no issue with Wolf steel jacketed ammo. It was leaving sparks on their backstop.

Have you checked out The Cove in Gore yet?
Old April 6, 2009, 09:03 PM   #12
Willie D

I've had this problem at one of the ranges I frequent too.

Federal American Eagle or Remington UMC can sometimes be found cheaply or bought with a coupon. Every once in a while Dick's has half off if you buy one at full price or something similar

Yugo milsurp is non-magnetic but corrosive.

New ammo from the former Yugoslavia is non-magnetic and non-corrosive (Privi Partisan, Igman)

Seller and Belliot IS magnetic. I bought a bunch thinking it wasn't and couldn't use it at the aforementioned range. However, it is much higher quality than Russian stuff.
Old April 6, 2009, 09:16 PM   #13
B. Lahey

Quote:
Seller and Belliot IS magnetic
Ha!

Well I'll be dipped...

Just checked it and you are certainly correct. Brass cases but some kind of copper-plated magnetic material for the projectile jacket.

Never had any cause to test it, none of the ranges I shoot at care about steel core/jacket/case ammo and I always assumed it was brass/copper/gilding metal.

Learn some thing new every day. Sorry if my dumb assumption caused anyone to buy unsuitable ammo.
Old April 6, 2009, 09:24 PM   #14
pizzapaiute

I was reading a gun rag today that recomended pulling the bullets out of the
the case and seating a non magnetic bullet. They recomended removing a grain or two of the original powder on five loads, testing them for higher pressures then going with the original charge on five. After that you're good to go.
This article was about 7.62X39 steel case, magnetic ammo. There was no mention of doing anything about the case neck or case mouth when seating new bullets.

Tags
7.62x39 , bi-metal , budget , copper jacket , sks