The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2006, 09:35 PM   #1
PDshooter

Defeating Mil, crimp

Tryed out my RCBS deburring tool in this adapter. I've used the RCBS primer pocket swager tool........Just waaaaaay to slow,. Used the Lyman hand reamer, gizmo set-up
I just figuard I would try it at work using the drill press. I'll tell you it buzzes right through that Mil, crimp NOW!
Can crank out 100rds brass in 15min
Shoot Shovel Shut-up!
Old February 15, 2006, 10:47 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

Yeah, I consider a drill press a reloading essential. Even a $50 Chinese bench model will do if it has a half inch chuck. The Lee chamfering tool at low speed is better for chamfering and deburring case mouths because it takes a much lighter cut. RCBS and Lyman work good for cutting out mil crimps.

The RCBS brushes or an inch of stranded electrical wire make short work of cleaning primer pockets. I clean heavily tarnished cases by chucking a taper and sliding cases onto the taper while I am holding the case in steel wool.

Made up an accurate quill stop and trim my cases on my drill press. Have also just chucked my Forster lathe type trimmer for that chore and for neck turning.

Maybe the neatest trick is that my drill press is also my 28 gauge shotgun press. BPI had a sale on primed 2.5" hulls and offered a deep discount on the roll crimping tool. I am not a high volume 28 gauge shooter so being able to load a hundred shells in an hour and a half with odds and ends and crimping on the drill press suits me fine.
Old February 16, 2006, 08:08 AM   #3
hivel37

Of all the tools/junk in my shop, I don't have a drill press. You fellows have just convinced me it's a "necessity". Lowe's has a Delta for about $100. I'm sure it chinese, but so are most tools now.
Old February 16, 2006, 09:07 AM   #4
PDshooter

Hivel37
Try "Harbor freight" CK them out on the web. They have drill press for around $50.........It's all chink stuff! We don't make anything here anymore
Shoot Shovel Shut-up!
Old February 16, 2006, 09:26 AM   #5
TimRB

" Lowe's has a Delta for about $100. I'm sure it chinese, but so are most tools now."

I've had a Taiwanese Delta for years now. It's fine. A drill press is another of those tools that, once I bought one, I couldn't imagine why I didn't get one long before.

Tim
Old February 16, 2006, 09:29 AM   #6
sundog

I've been using a Hornady deburring tool for years -- by hand. A couple twists, it'll bottom out (large pocket) and yer done. Slow, fingers get tired, but it works. If I had alot to do, it would definitely be with a drill press. sundog
Old February 16, 2006, 01:37 PM   #7
Tim R

Being a High Power shooter who uses lots of GI brass, I've found I like the "feel" of a swaged primer pocket better than cuts ones. If you need to go fast, and don't want to be tired, the Dillon Super Swage is the only way to go.
Old February 16, 2006, 02:43 PM   #8
Rico567

+1 on the handiness of a drill press around the reloading bench. I have one of the $50 Chinese bargain-store types, and it serves fine for light work as described in this thread. One caution: these presses are unserviceable for use with the drill press case trimmers sold by Lyman and others. The reason has nothing to do with the power of these machines, it is that the stop for the chuck is mounted with a piece of nylon. No matter how gently one approaches the trimming process, it's pretty much impossible to achieve uniformity in the resulting trimmed cases better than ± .003 or .004. On a bigger drill press, with a heavy metal mount for the stop, these trimmers work fine.

- Mark Twain
Old February 16, 2006, 09:11 PM   #9
bigautomatic

My deburring tool fits perfectly in my 18 volt DeWalt cordless drill. Super fast.
Old February 18, 2006, 03:27 PM   #10
45/70 GOVT.

I use a Lee case trimmer in my drill press put the shell holder in the vise and the cutter in the chuck instant. Tim Taylor case trimmer. My drill press has a 1 H.P. motor on it.
Old February 18, 2006, 08:58 PM   #11
hippo

RCBS makes a mil crimp swager that works very well. Sure, it is an extra operation, but it is precise and no guess work and drill press eating a finger or two.
Old March 4, 2006, 10:39 PM   #12
flutedchamber

I can personally swear by the Dillon Super Swage. I have used it in pistol and rifle. The swage removes no brass, it just gives the primer pocket a nice radius.