The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 13, 2006, 10:50 PM   #1
Bigoledude

Don't call me a ninny

I'm older and am now more sensitive to recoil. I'd like to have one of those H & R single-shot rifles chambered in 45-70. The Buffalo Classic with that 32 inch barrel looks sooo nice.

*Will that heavier/longer barrel help tame the recoil?

*Would I be able to install one of those cylindrical recoil eaters you see in Brownell's?

*Is there enough room in the stock? Would the stock be more likely to crack?

*Would a good recoil pad be just as effective?

*I can't help but wonder if those small actions can withstand a steady diet of really stout 45-70 punishment!

I know it's a lot of questions but, all these questions are what's delaying me buying the gun.
Old January 13, 2006, 11:04 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Yes, but at 8 lbs it is still pretty light as .45-70s go.
How about the .38-55? That is what I shoot except that mine is a Winchester. Not as much choice in factory loads, .38-55 is better off for a handloader, but the recoil is much less.
Old January 13, 2006, 11:42 PM   #3
Bigoledude

I do handload and have been wanting the old 45-70 for a long time.

Just was wondering what would be the most effective way to tame the recoil.

Can't wait to see one of these bigole Russian boars drop lika-sacka-potatos!
Old January 14, 2006, 02:51 AM   #4
mete

Recoil pads like Pachmyer Decelerator or Limbsaver, a PAST gel pad in your jacket. Mercury recoil reducer. Heavier gun.Lighter bullets [300 gr] and reduced loads. The standard factory 300 are only about 18,000 psi pressure , so the gun will hold up. I wouls start with a long barrel and recoil pad. 45-70 is a beautiful cartrige !!!
Old January 14, 2006, 04:23 AM   #5
mtnboomer

Yeah, a Limbsaver Magnum recoil pad and a PAST shoulder pad would probably be your best bet. I'm not sure if the stock on your rifle is thick enough for a mercury recoil reducer to be installed. If your stock is close to the same size as my H&R Handi-Rifle - probably not. I wouldn't shoot anything in it more powerful than 405-gr. "Gov't" equivalent load - not that the gun won't handle it [it will] - but you probably won't. And that load will drop any boar in it's tracks.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old January 14, 2006, 12:42 PM   #6
Harry Bonar

45-70

Dear Sir:
I certainly share you-alls desire for a 45-70. My late son gave me a Browning relpica of the High-wall 45-70 with octagon bbl. I have a Marlin 1895 lever 45-70 and 444, and a 45-70 Marlin 1 of a 1000. All of them kick!
I cut my teeth on a trapdoor, with a pound of 3fg black powder in a paper sack, a sharpened nail to drive primers out, caps to put in with the breeechblock, greased 400 gr, bullets in a sack, and let me tell you - that kicked, but the sandstone rock just flew!!
Those are days gone buy when this boy didn't have the cash to but a "Limb-saver pad". But, I really feel after having used them that they are about the only solution for recoil - it softens it from a bone jaring punch to a big dog jumping on you and no one is upset by that. That's what I'd recommend - a good "limb-saver" or sorbothane pad, magnum in thickness.
Either that or load lighter bullets down to trap-door velocities.
Harry B.