The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 9, 1999, 10:27 PM   #1
Grenadier2

How do you repair that?

Yes, I know, "take it to a gunsmith". But I dont have any in the area that I consider to be reputable.

Its not bent bad, but its got a little play in it (side-to-side), not enough to affect timing. It does shave a very small amount of lead (at the forcing cone) when fired, however.

I suspect the last owner closed it by the "TV Detective method" (slapping it shut by flicking the wrist). I got the piece cheap, but Id like to fix it.

Id like some good info before I just bash it with a big hammer
Old July 9, 1999, 11:04 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Grenadier2, a gunsmith who works on revolvers will have a specilized tool to straighten the crane. I wouldn't begin to try it without the right equipment. There are a lot of smiths around who do this type of work including me. George
Old July 10, 1999, 11:08 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

It's summer time and you can take an NRA summer gunsmithing program on fixing revolvers. It'll cost you a week of vacation time, some money for tools, room and board, but besides walking away with some tools of the trade (we made a lot of our own tools when I went) will give you a lifelong skill. If you can't go yourself, George does good work.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt