The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2015, 12:05 PM   #1
Nick_C_S

.223 Brass

Okay, I kind of made the transition to long gun ownership - I purchased two AR-15 lowers. Up 'till now, I've only owned handguns. Figured it was past time to have a couple AR's. I'll build them in due time; and "I know a guy," as it were, who will help me.

My question is about brass. I will eventually load my own. But first, I'm going to start with factory ammo and use the spent brass.

So the question is: What factory ammo should I buy that'll give me good quality brass for reloading? (Or conversely, which brass should I avoid?)

In the handgun world, Winchester White Box has always been my go-to without fail or disappointment. But the handgun world of reloading and the rifle world of reloading are very different animals, I realize.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old December 4, 2015, 12:21 PM   #2
rg1

Remington .223 brass is a good reloadable brass. Nothing wrong with Winchester. Best military reloadable brass is Lake City. In the past Federal .223 brass has not been recommended but now Federal owns Lake City. If you can buy Lake City LC ammo that uses LC cases that's what I'd buy but you have to be careful to not buy LC ammo that uses Federal brass. Maybe someone who knows about which Lake City ammo that uses LC cases can give advice as to which to buy. I only have purchased Remington factory and can highly recommend their brass but most of the brass I reload for AR's has been buying 1000 round lots of once fired LC cases. Only issue with LC cases is they have crimped primer pockets which has to be removed and best removed by swaging.
Old December 4, 2015, 01:35 PM   #3
cwall64

When I got my first AR I grabbed a 500 round case of the American Eagle 55 FMJs (AE223) and at the same time order a couple of thousand Lake City once fired brass. The American Eagle was decent on accuracy and was the right price. I started reloading the Federal/American Eagle brass (while I processed the LC) and I have 3 or 4 reloads on it so far and it is still going.
Old December 4, 2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Jimro

If you are going to reload, do yourself a favor and start off by buying a lot of a thousand or so milsurp 5.56 brass from a dealer?

I like gibrass.com but I've also purchased from Wideners.

It's a lot cheaper to buy components in bulk than even economy commercial loads.

Jimro
Old December 4, 2015, 05:50 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

If you buy the Federal brown box with military style headstamp (FC and two digit date code, but nothing naming the chambering) AFAIK and AFAICT, it is made to mil spec from 70:30 cartridge brass. Standard Federal commercial brass is softer and made from 80:20 low brass. The latter has some accuracy advantage the first time it is fired. The former is tougher and better suited to handle semi-auto extraction.

You can also buy new military brass by General Dynamics at Midway, currently on sale. But for 20% more, you can get new Lake City at Natchez.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle