The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 28, 2015, 02:49 PM   #1
Mike38

Multi use primers?

I just got home from a local gun show. Bought some reloading supplies. I normally use Winchester primers for pistol and all around rifle loads. Remington Bench Rest primers for serious paper punching. I noticed some Sellier & Bellot primers, and they were $6 per 1000 cheaper than Winchester. Also, I noticed it said on the carton of the S&B primers "For small rifle, pistol and revolver reloading". I never knew such a thing existed, both rifle and pistol? Any thing I should know about these before I start loading? Thank you.
Old November 28, 2015, 04:29 PM   #2
condor bravo

It was confirmed in a recent thread that CCI small rifle primers are the same as a certain CCI small pistol primer but boxed under different labels. Others will speak up to confirm or refine that statement. So in all likelihood the S & B primers are similar and interchangeable between rifle and handgun.

Last edited by condor bravo; November 28, 2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old November 28, 2015, 04:39 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

A standard small rifle primer is like a magnum pistol primer, generally speaking. Handguns don't normally group as tightly as rifles to begin with and so are usually less sensitive to optimized priming, so the interchangeability with these primers is good. However, it generally is the case that the mildest primer that does the job well gets you the best accuracy, so a Remington 6½, for example, may be a little better in a pistol accuracy load than a warmer brand would be. You'll also find the primer cups for rifle are sometimes thicker (especially magnum rifle primers) so some handguns, especially tuned DA revolvers with their lightened springs, can experience ignition irregularity with them. If that happens to me, I go straight to a Federal standard pistol primer, as they seem to be the most sensitive.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 28, 2015, 10:54 PM   #4
Mike38

Looks like I'll be good. Kind of nice knowing I can use the same S&B primer on both .223 and 9mm Para. The price is appealing. Winchester primers are $29 in my area. The S&B are $23. Saw some Wolf primers for $20 / 1k but I think I'll pass on those.
Old December 1, 2015, 12:37 PM   #5
jdc606

I have been using the S&B primers in 9mm because they are a lot cheaper than the CCI. I have gone through 2,000 of the S&B and can say they make a good practice round primer. Gotten about a dozen primers in each brick that required 2 strikes to fire. Two primers went bang on the 3rd strike (striker fired Glock 26). Good for practice rounds as I can check my shooting form (flinching?) when nothing goes bang. Would not use for SD.

Talked with a long range/accuracy shooter at the range one day. He said if I ever come across Wolf primers I should get them. Said his groups really tightened up after switching to the Wolf primers. He was, of course, using rifle primers.
Old December 1, 2015, 04:02 PM   #6
Bucksnort1

Mike38,

A little over one year ago, I posted a thread asking for reviews on the S&B primers. Someone responded with something like, "I've used thousands of them and they all went bang." Works for me.
Old December 2, 2015, 11:51 PM   #7
oldreloader

Mike38 I wouldn't shy away from Wolf/Tula primer. I started using them when I couldn't get CCI, Win, or Fed. I had just as soon have them as any of the others now.
Old December 3, 2015, 09:51 PM   #8
Mike38

I loaded 50 rounds of .223 in "decrimped' LC brass, with these S&B primers. Kind of funny looking as compared to the Winchester I am used to. They are flatter on the face (the exposed part) and seem strange to me. Maybe they are a bit softer than the Winchester? I plan to shoot them this weekend, hope things work out.
Old December 4, 2015, 12:18 AM   #9
CommandoX

Good primers for me

Like a couple others, I've been using these primers lately.

Cabela's has been running specials with free shipping on these and $20 Hazmat fees. I've made it worth my while.

I currently have only used them in pistols but have been pleased with them. The look nice in revolver brass.

I too have had a few (5 I think) out of 5000 that have taken an extra hit to go off. Flawless in revolvers for me although since I use a Lee Classic Turret Press I have to make sure they get seated "firm". If not they can hang up the cylinder's action.

I like em and the price is great.