The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 10, 2013, 03:42 AM   #1
ZVP

Ruger Target Model .22 autoloader?

Quick, someone convince me why I should buy a 5 1.2 bull barreled Stainless Target Model Ruger!
Is it that the things are sso accirate that you can blow Candles out with them, or are they superbly reliable, digesting almost sny .22 fodder out there?
Is thegrip angle optimum for both target and plinking operations or do you need custom grip panels? Everyone knows the CIA and Mob Gangsters use the Ruger .22 Suppressed for "social work" and it has been so competent at the task that is the favored assians choice?
Prices for the Stainless beauty are under or a bit over $500 and that's a real value!
WHy should I buy one?
ZVP
Old January 10, 2013, 11:09 AM   #2
Japle

Well, they certainly are accurate. I’ll admit mine was pretty tricked out when I shot this target, but that influenced the ease of shooting, not the accuracy.

They generally feed just about anything. Mine won't cycle with CCI “Quiet” or Aguila 38 gr subsonic ammo, but perks with everything else.

The other cool thing about them is the billions of ways they can be tricked out.
The one below has very few Ruger parts left in it.
Volquartsen fire control parts, Tactical Solutions upper, FO front sight, TC Contender rear sight, aftermarket grips and mag base pad, titanium bolt racker.

Old January 10, 2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Japle

Oh, and speaking of suppressed:

Old January 10, 2013, 11:18 AM   #4
AndyWest

At some point, you're not shooting a Ruger Mark any more
Old January 10, 2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Hammerhead

The basic models shoot just as well.
Mark II NRA/WBR commemorative. This gun stays with me for the duration.
Old January 10, 2013, 01:07 PM   #6
weblance

I can get 3/4" groups, rested at 25 yards, with my scoped Mark II Target stainless 5.5". Seriously. I never would have thought a pistol could be so accurate until I installed the scope. The Mark Series Rugers will shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds before needing any type of repair. You will wear out long before they will. That accuracy, and durability, is all I will ever need.
Old January 10, 2013, 02:44 PM   #7
m_liebst

For the price-imo-it's worth every dollar.

Pros: Fixed-Barrel design for precise target level accuracy/ Heavy bull barrel
Least finicky -IMO- with all variations of .22lr ammo out there
Proven for decades as rugged and long lasting with little up-keep
Unlimited upgrades/ Mods and very affordable price

Cons: Not so good out of the box trigger
MK3 models have the un-needed LCI & mag release trigger lock-up!
Breakdown seems to be difficult to some newcomers

I've got one and it's incredibly accurate to the point that i've used it to hunt small game when scoped. Never have problems with ammo and I've put sofar about 12 k through the gun in th 2 years I've had it so far.

Last edited by m_liebst; January 10, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old January 10, 2013, 03:03 PM   #8
AndyWest

Quote:
I've never heard it put this way.
Old January 10, 2013, 06:02 PM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
Dissassmebly of the Rugers is not difficult. It's just different than pretty much any other pistol.

Keep the instruction manual handy the few few times and you'll be fine.
Old January 10, 2013, 06:21 PM   #10
AndyWest

How to define difficult relative to pretty much everything else? Number of steps? Tools recommended by the manual? Tools actually needed? Likelihood of scratching something? Maybe telekinetic powers to manipulate internal parts as you reassemble it, which is even harder than takedown. Cleaning difficulty? Holy nooks, crannies, and angles!

I won't deny Ruger Marks are THE king of affordable 22 quality. I owned a Mk3 long, stainless fluted (Target Hunter I think it was). Extremely accurate and reliable. But honestly I just didn't have the patience since I fully clean after every shoot.
Old January 10, 2013, 06:57 PM   #11
Pilot

The Ruger MK series pistols need no tools to disassemble nor reassemble. Well maybe a paper clip to ease pulling out the takedown lever on the back of the grip.

If you can read the manual, and actually have it with you when you take apart the psitol for cleaning then you can easily do it. There are also a plethora of Youtube vids now available to walk you through it, so there really are no excuses.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:38 PM   #12
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWest
How to define difficult relative to pretty much everything else? Number of steps? Tools recommended by the manual? Tools actually needed? Likelihood of scratching something? Maybe telekinetic powers to manipulate internal parts as you reassemble it, which is even harder than takedown. Cleaning difficulty? Holy nooks, crannies, and angles!
It always cracks me up when someone posts a comment like this. Reassembling a Mark pistol is like changing the oil in your car. The first time you do it, you might have to stop and think for a moment or two, but after the third time, you can do it with your eyes closed. Some people will never be able to change the oil in their car, but most of us can do it with ease.

You dont need telekinesis to point the muzzle skyward, and pull the trigger at the same time, while closing the mainspring housing. If you truly cant do this, google Majestic Arms Speed Strip Kit.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:48 PM   #13
Doc TH

It is an excellent, accurate and reliable pistol. Disassembly becomes easy with a little practice.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:48 PM   #14
arizona98tj

The only tool needed for disassembly...IMO

Old January 12, 2013, 10:59 PM   #15
AndyWest

OK, I'll quit hating and I'll admit I was going too far. In fact I would like to have my Mk3 long fluted stainless back now that I'm disciplined in cleaning patience.
Old January 12, 2013, 11:49 PM   #16
Shadi Khalil

I got one for my birthday this year and its fast becoming my favorite range gun. I've only shot it at around 25 yards and its plenty accurate. I recently changed the front sight to a hiviz and that will probably only modifications I make.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:09 AM   #17
CajunBass

The range I usually go to, only has seven yard handgun lanes, so I can't brag about any long range shooting, but this is about typical of what my MK III, 22/45, with a 4" bull barrel, and a cheap BSA red dot sight would do at that range. It was actually booringly accurate. Get the dot on target, pull trigger, and reacquire target, pull trigger again. This was about seventy rounds, standing, two handed hold, while I waited for the range to go cold. Most of them just went through the hole after a few minutes. The ammo was either Federal bulk pack, or American Eagle I forget which. The ones that missed the X ring, I rushed the shots.

I don't have that gun anymore, and it's one of the few guns I've ever sold that I wish I had back. I may have to buy another one one of these days.

For all the hoopla about cleaning them, it's not that hard if you just read and follow the directions. It's that simple. The trick is to READ and FOLLOW...to the letter. Every word is important, as is every step.

Personally I just spray mine with Gunscrubber most of the time and put some oil on it and it's good to go.
John 3:16 (NKJV)