The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 14, 2012, 06:10 PM   #1
jerryboy

Need ammo storage!

Guys,
I'm looking for some kind of Ammo locker for my garage...it's got to be lockable and heavy duty. Somewhere in the 100-150 dollar range, and I don't care what it looks like. Preferably steel or heavy aluminum. I can use padlocks if need be. Mil Surp is OK too.
Any ideas??
Old May 14, 2012, 06:30 PM   #2
BarryLee

So, are you looking for just some kind of metal cabinet or a purpose built ammo locker? If all you want is a metal cabinet I would check out some used office furniture stores. Also, home centers would have new models, so you might check them out.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 14, 2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Pahoo

MilSurp ???

Have you considered a Milsurp metal case, as an option. I use two 20MM cases and they are very secure. Didn't have to sink a bunch of cash into them. I've seen a tone of different styles in the sportman's guide. Nothig fancy, just very secure and dry. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 16, 2012, 11:07 AM   #4
oneounceload

Used fridge would work as well
Old May 16, 2012, 02:41 PM   #5
BarryLee

Kind of an addition to the idea of looking at used furniture you might also look for used Flammable Storage cabinets. They are kind of pricey new, but I have occasionally seen them for sale used pretty cheap.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 16, 2012, 11:31 PM   #6
pturner67

Stack-On GCB-5300RTA Security Plus Pistol and Ammo Ready to Assemble Storage Cabinet for $142 on Amazon
Old May 17, 2012, 06:22 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Hard to beat a Stack On for what you are looking for. Do the google and you should find several offerings.
Old May 17, 2012, 08:45 AM   #8
Don P

Just remember the humidity thing seeing you are in SC.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:06 AM   #9
bigalshootmupper

This looks like a good deal (airtight 4ft x 1ft x1ft $100):

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...x?a=558440&e=Y
Old May 21, 2012, 09:45 PM   #10
kilimanjaro

I use an office-type locker, sheet steel, 6 shelves, quite sturdy, and in black paint. Holds the weight quite well and the stuff is out of sight. Cost was about $75 at a used-office furniture store locally.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:20 PM   #11
scottd913

ever thought of going to the used appliance store and buying an old stove no need to lock it, just pile a bunch of crap around it. out in the garage hidden in plan sight. besides its fireproof: just a thought.
Old May 22, 2012, 12:47 PM   #12
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I bought an old used freezer than never worked, gutted it, built shelves in it, put ammo in it and its lockable. Just looking nobody has any idea whats in it and I ain't telling.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 25, 2012, 02:22 AM   #13
mitchntx

craigslist is your friend.

All kind of metal lockers for sale. I bought a metal printer stand and it works perfect.
Old May 25, 2012, 09:31 AM   #14
kayakersteve

Here is mine....

This is an old double walled cabinet - the original lock is not used as I never got the key when I picked it up at a yard sell. I added a latch with padlock and it is fairly secure. Also, have a dehumidifer in it to have keep moisture down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvfJzlZin7Q