The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2001, 10:54 AM   #26
JerryM

Ron,
Thanks for the input. So few can afford a Ransom Rest that it is difficult to get that data.
Hot Core, Regarding rifle cases and group size, I don't know if it is psychological or not. In terms of absolute accuracy and super accurate rifles, I suspect that any deviation makes a difference. In terms of hunting accuracy I doubt it. From a practicable side I always insisted my big game rifles group in at least 1.5 MOA. I was able to shoot 2 MOA groups from a sitting position at the range. I once took two rifles to the range. One was a 1 MOA rifle and the other a 2 MOA. I shot out to 500 yards from sitting. There was no difference in the group sizes. I could keep all shots in the 10" bull and couldn't do better with any hunting rifle. Still I wouldn't accept the 2" accuracy. While I never weighed my rifle cases I keep the individual boxes of cases together along with the number of times I have reloaded them including the number of times they were neck sized and FLRS. I only hunt with new or once fired and neck sized cases. It's fun and interesting. Thanks for all the good inputs to the questions. Jerry
Old January 11, 2001, 03:29 PM   #27
Hot Core

Hey Jerry, I understand what you are saying.

By the way, it may be of interest for you all to know that I've found the Federal Cases (rifles) to be considerably more uniform in weight than those from Remington or Winchester.

That said, have any of you guys noticed the opposite or a different Manufacturer of cases that is very uniform?

I've "heard" that the Lapua cases are quite uniform, but I've never tried them.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core