The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 1, 1999, 11:34 AM   #1
John G

How common is the 1903 pistol from Browning, made by FN? Are they still floating around out there, or is it a lost cause to try and find one in decent shape?

------------------
Where the choice is between only violence and
cowardice, I would advise violence."
— Mohandas Gandhi
www.acs.brockport.edu/~jg5708/gunclub.htm

Old July 1, 1999, 12:13 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Saw two at a gun shop in Fallston, MD on Saturday. Don't remember the price, but phone is (410) 879-3562.

Jim
Old July 2, 1999, 11:09 AM   #3
John G

Thanks Jim. I'll have to give them a call soon. Any more info on pre-war Browning pistols would be appreciated.

------------------
Where the choice is between only violence and
cowardice, I would advise violence."
— Mohandas Gandhi
www.acs.brockport.edu/~jg5708/gunclub.htm

Old July 2, 1999, 02:16 PM   #4
BigG

They were made in such great numbers that I remember seeing a photo of the 1 Millionth pistol, which was presented to JMB, hisself.

------------------
Yankee Doodle

Old July 3, 1999, 12:15 AM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have seen the photo, also. The pistol is the Model 1900. The Model 1903 Browning (not to be confused with the 1903 Colt Model M) was not made in such large numbers, but was adopted by Sweden (and I think some other countries) as a service pistol. Thousands of the Swedish pistol, made by Husqvarna, were imported years ago and some more have been brought in recently. Most of these were converted (by jugging the chamber and cutting down the recoil spring) to .380 ACP. I have seen only a few, Belgian made, in the original 9mm Browning Long caliber. The Swede models also have a front sight modification; the rear of the half-moon sight is cut to give a better sight picture. This was done by the Swedes and is correct for the Swedish guns.

Jim
Old July 3, 1999, 10:18 AM   #6
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

JOHNG
The Browning Model 1903: Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre, Herstal-lez-Liege, 9mm Browning long; 205mm over all, 128mm barrel, 980gm seven round mag. This was an improved form of the Model 1900, chambering a more powerful cartridge in an attempt to interest the military.

This model is sometimes listed as the Browning #1, No 1 being retrospectively applied to the Model 1899. The advent of more FN-Brownings soon forced the abanonment of this system, whereupon a variation of it was applied to indicate caliber. The No1 came to signify 6.35mm, while No 2 guns were all chembered for the 7.65mm Auto ctg. No 3 rarely encountered, was reserved for 9mm short. Excepting in Spain, where the differentiation presisted into the 1920's. This system had been abandoned by the begining of WWI.

HJN