The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 13, 2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Smaug

Picked up a Lee Hand Press - Pretty sweet!

I do all my other reloading with my Lee Classic Cast.

I picked up the Lee Hand Press because I thought it would be cool to do loading in front of the TV or stereo in a recliner couch.

I did 100 rounds of 45 ACP with it the other night, and it took me about 3 hours.

The main weakness of this press is that it has no power or leverage on the down-stroke of the ram. So flaring the case mouths was really tough. If the tightness releases gradually on the downstroke, such as resizing straight-walled brass, it is no problem. But when it releases all at once, it is kind of awkward. Do-able, but you don't want to be doing hundreds of rounds this way. I do all my priming with the Lee hand priming tool; seems to be less hassle.

All in all, I've been really happy with my Lee stuff. It is always adequate, plus a bit extra, instead of being 40X stronger, heavier, and more expensive than necessary. I really like the thought they put into the design too. Like the decapping pin that is held with a collet, and other simple designs that no one else seems to have thought of. Lee always manages to do more with less.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old July 13, 2008, 10:29 AM   #2
mniesen89

Well, you could have just moved the tv and recliner to the reloading bench!

The handloader will loosen up a bit, when I started in reloading last year I frst bought the Lee to do rifle cartridges! 1 sore arm and 10 hours later it got the job done. Its definitely not made for speed but after the break in time its great for pistol calibers.
Old July 13, 2008, 03:06 PM   #3
BntBrl

I got a Lee handpress to. I use it to deprime with mostly. I have used it to size a box, then later on Id deprime and bell, and get them ready to load later. It is easier for me to do a box of 50 or 100 throughout a day or two than to sit down once a week and make 800 bullets.

Before I started reloading I shot up maybe a box to two boxes a week. Now I will shoot 2 or 3 boxes a day. What happened?
Old July 13, 2008, 04:08 PM   #4
yammahoppy

I am just getting into this "hobby" and got the hand press. I plan to start hoarding brass for what I want to load then get a different press (when the funds are more available). I bought some brass from GIbrass and am in the process of de-priming it. I have the Lee decapper in it right now and it works great.

Just a note to all the helpfull folks here. The new guys that come here are very lucky to have this knowlege here and at THR.

Thanks.....
Old July 13, 2008, 08:16 PM   #5
Hook686

I have two Lee Hand Press units. I only reload straight wall pistol cartridges with it and use the Lee Carbide Speed Die for those. During this 'Single stage' reloading process I use an old Lyman 310 too for priming. The 2nd Lee Hand Press has a Lee Factory Crimp Die in it for the .357 and .44 magnum rounds.

I find it a useful portable press that I can produce 30-60 rounds an hour with ... a nice tool.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old July 14, 2008, 12:21 PM   #6
striker55

When I first started reloading in the early 80's it was one of those Lee kits you used a hammer. No press at all, did my reloading in front of the tv banging away with the hammer.
Old July 14, 2008, 12:44 PM   #7
Hanzerik

Your right about the sore arms. I got mine last week and have loaded right around 420 rounds of 45ACP. I found that a couple of tuper-ware bolws come in handy for catching the cases after de-capping/sizing, priming, expanding, and taper crimping. I turn the shell holder to face away from me and just tilt it over and they fall right out and into the bowl, speeds things up a little.
Old July 14, 2008, 12:46 PM   #8
zxcvbob

I use mine mostly for doing .30 Carbine case prep while watching TV. I don't watch TV when actually reloading, but sizing, capping, and trimming cases is a great mindless activity to do in the easy chair.
Old July 14, 2008, 10:00 PM   #9
gandog56

If you just wanted a workout, should have moved a TV in front of your weight bench!