The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2006, 09:47 PM   #1
dmented692006

2 problems - case trimmer and calipers

i bought a lyman universal case trimmer and i read the instructions over and over and it talks about adjusting the lock rings or what ever you call them and i can see how they would work for short cases like a 9mm but not for bigger cases like a 30-06 or 45-70. the rings are too far away from the body of the trimmer to stop the cutter, is there something im missing here or not understanding? do you even understand what im talking about?

Another thing, i bought a pair of cabelas digital calipers and when i measure my cases i keep getting different readings, they are all around the same measurement but hardly ever exactly the same, should i send them back? also the numbers always flash, they dont stay on constantly they blink, are they supposed to do that? its really annoying. and i am zeroing my calipers.

Thanks
Old March 4, 2006, 03:58 PM   #2
jeffdt

Well as far as your cases go, they will vary a bit. No two cases will expand or stretch the same amount. To set up your Lyman, find a case that is as close a possible to your desired trim length. Lock it in the chuck, losen the set screw on each wheel and slide the cutter holder so that the cutting blade just touches the case mouth. Then slide the adjusting rings up to the cutter body and tighten the screws.

The caliper, I dunno. I use a Lyman digital myself.

Jeff
Old March 4, 2006, 04:29 PM   #3
Foxman

The digital calipers are a bit misleading, the last digit is called "the least siginificant digit" and for all practical measurements can be ignored. The readings will vary, you have to get used to using the same pressure each time you take a reading as even a slight change in pressure will move the last digit particularly, also it pays to rotate the case lightly in the jaws to settle it as they tend to cock onto an edge when you close up on the case. It just takes a bit of patience and practice to get the feal of it. +1 on jeffdt advice with the trimmer, I use one too and as he a says run cutter up to case mouth, then slack screws and run rings upto the trimmer body, nip the screw on the main ring and use the fine adjuster ring to get right cut them nip that screw too to keep your setting
Old March 4, 2006, 07:35 PM   #4
Tim R

I do pretty much the same thing as the other guys. I use a case already trimmed to the lenght I want to gage set up.

Calipers... There is an art to using these. Each measurement must use the same pressure to close the caliper on the item being measured. Sorta the same as when using feeler gages, not too tight, not too loose.
Old March 5, 2006, 01:26 AM   #5
steve4102

I will try and answer your questions the best I can. Please forgive me If I sound irritated or angry, a lot of my posts come across as that way, must be my lack of writing skills.

Just about every piece of handloading equipment with a "nut" or "Locking Ring" will need to be "Locked" in place for repeatability and consistency. Your Lyman Trimmer has 2 sets of nuts or locking rings that need to be locked down in order to work properly and of course unlocked for adjustment. These two adjustable lock rings are the "Black" nuts on the shaft of your trimmer. Both of these nuts have a set screw(Allen wrench) on them. The one closest to the crank or handle locks the nuts to the shaft. The other ring is for fine tuning your settings. You need to loosen the Allen set screw and slide the locking rings into place. Once you have figured out how to adjust the locking rings, go back and read the instructions again. This will help you set up your trimmer correctly.

As for the calipers, The only time my calipers "Blink" is when the battery is low. When you say, "I keep getting different readings", what exactly do you mean. That is, how many thousands are we talking about.
Old March 5, 2006, 03:24 PM   #6
dmented692006

when im measureing my 45-70 cases with my calipers the same case will read 2.93 then 2.99 then 2.96, its jumps all over
Old March 5, 2006, 05:47 PM   #7
dmented692006

Also, the black adjustment rings dont touch the orange part, the body of the trimmer so i dont see how they adjust anything.
Old March 5, 2006, 06:01 PM   #8
steve4102

Quote:
Also, the black adjustment rings dont touch the orange part, the body of the trimmer so i dont see how they adjust anything.
1.Stick one of your sized brass into the trimmer
2.Losen the set screw on the locking rings and slide the rings all the way to the handle.
3.Push the handle assembly inward untill the cutting head just touches the brass.
4.Now, push the locking rings inward towards the bullet until it touches the orange thingy.
5.Tighten down the set screws on the locking rings.
6.Give it a spin and measure length.
7.Fine tune the trimmer by losening the set screw on the ring closest to the orange thingy, rotate the ring in to remove less brass and out(towards the handle) to remove more brass.

The black locking rings do not adjust anything they are nothing more than a set of STOP collers. They are kinda like a stop coller you would attatch to a drill bit to set hole depth, only they are highly accurate.
Old March 5, 2006, 06:38 PM   #9
dennymac

Trimmer Locking Rings

Good evening. The locking rings are supposed to be on the outside of the trimmer body. They screw together and have indexing marks on the outer surface. Loosen the locking ring set and slide them towards the rotating handle crank. Set a case in the trimmer then slide the locking ring set towards the trimmer body until they touch the body. Screw the rings apart several rounds and lock the outer ring to the handle shaft. Rotate the handle a few times and see if it trims the case. Remove the case and measure it. If it is too long, turn the locking ring with the marks towards you, that is to say, away from the trimmer body. If I remember correctly, the marks are .001 inch each. Adjust the ring until you get the correct length and then lock it down. Trim all of your cases, but, feel free to check them for length as you go, so that if it gets out of adjustment you don't ruin too many cases. Best of luck to you. DennyMac