The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 22, 1998, 08:57 AM   #1
Andy

I saw the posting concerning the photon lights and went to the website. These things look pretty cool! Anyone have any experience with them? What color is the best? The neat thing about these is that they are extremely simple to make. Anyone could make one if they wanted to, but it probably wouldn't be as small or tough.

Andy
Old December 22, 1998, 01:41 PM   #2
Kodiac

They are pretty nifty.
But as Jeff Cooper says "It is an answer in search of a question."
Dont really see a need for them personally.
I think you can get them or something like them in some gumball machines!
Old December 22, 1998, 02:39 PM   #3
Greg Melcer

Sorry Kodiac, you've got it all wrong. I love my Photon II lights! They're perfect for everyday carry. I have a yellow one on my key ring and I use it quite a bit.

Ever need to see what you're about to step into? Sure, just whip out your Surefire 9Z and destroy your night vision for the next 2 minutes! Or, you can pull out your Photon which will supply enough light to illuminate your next few steps and it won't cause you to see big orange blobs dancing about.

Seriously, if you don't have one, get one. They are expensive for such a little light, but you'll find yourself carrying it everywhere.

As for colors, I have the yellow and the blue. The yellow is easier on the eyes, and makes a better reading light. The blue is kinda harsh in my opinion, and it's hard to read by, but aim it at the ceiling of your bedroom and it'll light up the whole place!

Those are the only colors I'm familiar with, but I hope to add a white and orange light in the near future.

You'll find a lot of others that share my high opinion of these lights.
Old December 22, 1998, 06:32 PM   #4
Mike in VA

Well, I, too, saw all the hoo-ha and went to the website and ordered one. That was on Saturday 12/19. It arrived today 12/22, on $.78 postage. It's smaller than I expected, it really is about the size of a quarter, and it's a bright little sucker (I got the turquoise). I routinely carry a mini-mag in my kit (I have an iside office and I find I need it about 1/month when some dweebster hits a power line with a backhoe), but this little dude is way cool. I haven't decided to put it on my keyring or on one of my pocket knives. Then again, my wife keeps playing with it, so maybe I'd be wise to order another one or two. . . yeah, I could see a buncha these as stocking stuffers next year, plus a few for the boat, ummm, maybe trite, but let here be light! M2
Old December 23, 1998, 12:24 AM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Great devices. Durable, longlasting and bright. Don't forget all the ladies in your lives that won't go out with a 6Z in their purse. Put a Photon on their keychain and see if it gets used.
Rich
Old December 23, 1998, 08:19 AM   #6
Blues

I think they're great.

I've purchased all of 'em except the infrared.

Have come in handy on and off the job several times already. I also make sure my wife carries one with a small knife on her key chain. (She carries the blue. I routinely carry the red and white with me daily.)

If you'll forgive a plug for a good guy from the knife boards, Tim Flanagan of Nor'east knives offers good prices on the photons.
His address:

[email protected]

Btw, I don't get a kickback, though I'll sure suggest it next time.

Blues

------------------
Live Free, or Die

Old December 23, 1998, 10:27 AM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Blues-
Tim's my source also. Good guy...good prices.
Rich
Old December 24, 1998, 01:40 PM   #8
Senator

I've got a couple of the green Photon II's. The green should help preserve night vision, and the battery will last for over 7 days straight! The Photon II's have an instant on pressure switch as well as a continuous on switch. I carry one on my keychain, and my wife carries one also. Everyone that sees the Photons just loves them. I picked up some for stocking stuffers. They're well worth the price IMHO.

Here is a great link for Photon info. It explains what the different colors are good for, battery life for each color, etc... A great resource:

http://www.photonlight.com/

Here's a few links from TFL's sister forum, BladeForums.com, discussing Photon usage:

http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000041.html

http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000055.html

Hope this helps.

------------------
Kelly

Deo Vindice
Old December 29, 1998, 12:09 AM   #9
Marcus

Photons answer the question "Why buy all kinds of tactical stuff and train to use it,live life in condition yellow,get a CCW and then fall on yer a$$ on the back steps cuz somebody didn`t turn the walkway light on and you couldn`t see where you were goin!" It`s perfect for those times when you didn`t want to take a Surefire cuz you wouldn`t be out that late,or the shirt your wearing wouldn`t cover it, etc. I`m addicted to mine,I use it every day. I like it so much I sell them at my shop now! No,I can`t beat the best internet prices so don`t buy them from me,but for those that don`t have one GET ONE you won`t be sorry. I haven`t found anyone yet who bought one and wasn`t thrilled with it,and I sold a lot in the last few weeks. As for the color,I`m carrying a yellow now which is very bright but has a narrow beam. I`m switching to an orange,just as bright with a wider beam and not as hard on night vision. My wife has a turquoise mainly because it`s pretty. It`s also very bright and has a very wide beam. The wider the beam the less the range generally. BTW for those that are interested the PhotonIIs with dual 3V batteries (W,T,B) and 14-18hr. battery life can also be used with dual 1.5V batteries and a 125+hr. battery life! This comes right from the manufacturer. Marcus
Old January 1, 1999, 01:10 AM   #10
Dean

The Photon's are great little lights in my experience. I use them on keyrings, zipper-pulls and even dog collars at night. I prefer the green color because it has a long battery life and doesn't totally destroy your night vision. The blue Photon's are VERY bright and really light up an area or walkway. Give these little gadgets a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.