The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 12, 2001, 09:45 AM   #1
Hutch

I was just given an odd-looking .22LR single shot, and I'd like to find out more about it if possible. From across the room, it vaguely resembles a Carcano carbine, in that it has fake magazine well protruding from in front of the trigger guard, and integral to it. It has a wooden forend handguard, held in place by 2 barrel bands, for and aft. It has no serial number, and the receiver "bridge" has some very faint inscription that I THINK reads "Hoban" and "Michigan". This writing is perpendicular to the axis of the bore. It has a seperate cocking piece on the bolt, and the cartridge must be inserted in the barrel, as there is no loading tray. It has a common looking rear sight, with aleaf to slide for and aft to adjust elevation. The front sight looks like it may have met with an accident, and at this point almost looks like a rather steep, if narrow revolver ramp sight.

Any guesses on this wee beastie?
Old April 12, 2001, 11:02 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Any chance of posting some photos?

It could be a Carcano youth training rifle, but without photos no way to tell for sure.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 12, 2001, 11:19 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Hutch:
If you will take a #2 graphite pencil and mark over any markings on the gun. This should make them visible and easier to read. Doing this may give us the mfg.

HJN
Old April 12, 2001, 11:02 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Boy, that one rattled the brain cells. The Hoban was a cheap little .22 rifle that was made up to sort of resemble not the Carcano, but the U.S. M1 carbine, or at least one model was. I think the date was about 1950. I can find nothing on them in any books, but I think they were made in Detroit. I doubt there is any established value on the Hoban, maybe $20 or so unless one encounters a collector of obscure boys' rifles.

Jim
Old April 13, 2001, 08:20 AM   #5
Hutch

Okay, a dilemma

Given this rifles relative worthlessness, I'm somewhat conflicted about what to do with it. I'm seriously considering waiting on a "gun buyback" and taking fifty bucks for it. In one regard, it gives me more than the gun is worth, at the expense of the fuzzy-minded idiots who run such charades. On the other hand, I'd hate to be seen as supporting the buyback process in any way. Any opinions on this dilemma? I'll probably post this question in the GD forum sometime.
Old April 13, 2001, 11:17 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

If it is functional, hang on to it. Someday it might make a beginner rifle for a child or grandchild.

Jim
Old April 14, 2001, 12:40 AM   #7
Paul B.

Looks like a carcano? Hmmm. Anybody remember that cheap looking .22 you could get from selling some kind of Salve. I think the brand name was Clover brand Salve, or some such.
You saw the ads in the comic books, which is probably where the gun belonged. I din't think anybody ever sold enough of that stuff to ever earn one of the guns.
Paul B.
Old April 16, 2001, 10:13 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

post a pic of it and link it here. Heck, if it's Italian, I'll buy it for $50 plus postage.
Old April 18, 2001, 11:33 AM   #9
Hutch

Okay, okay, I'll see if I can shoot a pic and get it here. This'll be a new one for me, but I need the experience, now that I have a digi-cam. It'll have to wait until next week, tho'. Thanks for all the help so far.
Old June 8, 2002, 04:24 PM   #10
BonesofGa.

I got one that says , on the reciever, Hoban Rifle No. 45. But under the handguard, it says Page-Lew's Arms Co. ChicopeeFalls, Mass. 22 L.R. Model 49. Also, on the reciever, it says Hoban MFG. Co. Salem, Mich. From the little info I got, somebody called it a " W.W. 2 Camp Blanding Training Rifle, I'm not sure why. Maybe this will help in finding a little more info.
Old June 8, 2002, 05:39 PM   #11
C.R.Sam

Paul B.......That was White Cloverine Salve. Once you ran out of relatives it was a bear to get rid of.

Sam
Old June 12, 2002, 12:40 PM   #12
Cap n ball

Hutch, If you decide to take it to a gun buy-back don't turn it in. Instead trade it with another buyback patron for something better. They still get their money or whatever and you get a better gun.

CR Sam, I thought that stuff came from bears.