The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 17, 2017, 11:49 AM   #1
baddarryl

Recommend me a used Scope

Hi all. I am going to upgrade my father's 700 BDL in .30/06. I don't like how matte looks on it so I want a blued one. Maybe I could find a deal on a used one? What old blued scopes are worth looking for? Likely a 3x9x40 ish for a hunting rifle. I am looking for Leopld or Weaver quality and specific models. Thank you!

Last edited by baddarryl; July 17, 2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old July 17, 2017, 12:44 PM   #2
eastbank

leupold has had new 3x9-40 verix1,s for sale for around 150-170 dollars, i bought several with in the last month at 149.00+ tax each and they come with the forever warrenty as the higher priced models. eastbank.
Old July 17, 2017, 10:12 PM   #3
baddarryl

Thanks. Do you have a link for that? I can't find them.
Old July 17, 2017, 10:32 PM   #4
std7mag

I'm a Vortex guy myself. Really like the CrossfireII. Good deal for the money.

For hunting i have 2 of the Redfield Revenge 4-12x42(i think)
Made by/for Leupold. Mine are the Accu-Ranger Varmint. Hard to find nowadays.
Old July 17, 2017, 11:03 PM   #5
Lucas McCain

If your going to buy a used scope, check to se if the lifetime warrranty on it is transferable. I do know that Leupold Golden Ring optics a Nikon are.
Go to the manufactures web site and check.
Old July 19, 2017, 12:45 AM   #6
bamaranger

used

I buy a fair amount of used Leupold's on eBay. Leupold's warranty goes with the scope, no matter how many times it's changed hands. I believe Burris is the same way, but I have no experience returning a Burris.

I buy fixed power Leupolds, even as far back as the "M8' models, and use them with no complaints. The newer fixed power Leupold's go by F-II and F-III. I also buy Vari-X-II-c's when I can get the price I want. These are older 1990'd scopes. Then you get into more recent models, VX-I, VX-II, etc. ( I think)

Leupold's model and year designations are a bit confusing, as the older Vari-X line has several renditions, each a slight improvement over the other. A bit of research should yield the last/latest of the Vari-X's, before they went with the VX-series. I think the Vari-X-II-c was the last of the breed, in the mid 90's. Research yourself before committing.

Although Leupold will fix your scope if they can despite the vintage, certain VariX models are no longer eligible for a recticle change.