The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 25, 2017, 08:03 PM   #1
1Longbow

AR Questions

So I'm not up on AR's and their parts, but my son has a couple of them on his Christmas wish list,and I thought of you guys.
He has a Windham SRC AR 15,and has on his list an Ambidextrous mag release and an ambidextrous Safety
Question are these manufacture specific? Good makes or models to look at, price range? Thank you for all your help

Last edited by 1Longbow; November 26, 2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old November 25, 2017, 08:29 PM   #2
turtlehead

Do you mean SRC? That's the one with a carbon fiber lower receiver in .556.

If so, it should use standard parts.
Old November 25, 2017, 09:31 PM   #3
Tacticool1976

longbow, i have a Windham and really like it, i have the MPC RF model and it has served me very well.... my dad has the carbon fiber model and he really likes it..

I'd say they are a good middle of the road rifle, isnt going to break the bank, and isnt going to fall apart in your hands or go take a dump on you.. i think i paid 700$ out the door for mine.. obviously depending on your budget, you could get a BCM or Colt 6920 or Sig M400...
Old November 25, 2017, 10:04 PM   #4
1Longbow

Sorry ,
Yes SRC
Old November 25, 2017, 11:07 PM   #5
turtlehead

I just finished cleaning my trunk AR. Built it 5 years ago with parts from 15 different manufacturers. Every part fit like a charm. It's like a Lego rifle. It's pretty unusual to have a part that's out of spec.

I can't help you with the parts you are asking about as I don't use them. Assume your son is left handed. However, I think you'll find the parts you run across that serve those purposes are on the high end side. And they'll be well made and fit correctly.

Someone should be along to give more specific advice.
Old November 25, 2017, 11:56 PM   #6
brycewise

Quote:
Question are these manufacture specific? Good makes or models to look at, price range? Thank you for all your help
You listed Ambi mag release twice so Im assuming you meant "Ambi mag release and ambi bolt release or ambi safety lever"

But to your question about manufacture specific parts... Generally no, they arent specific to each Brand. Very few companies that sell rifles actually make all the parts for them in house... The actual components for the rifle are made by a small number of machine shops and sold under various brand names like "Windham" or "Ruger" both probably use parts that were made in the same place.

Most AR 15's use components that are known as "mil Spec".
Mil spec is a specification for standardized tolerances, build materials and dimensions of the various components that make up the rifle.
So, for example, if you have a "Mil Spec" lower any "Mil Spec" lower component should work regardless of what company sells the part.

On rare occasions with a low quality manufacture, a rifle may make it past poor quality control and be out of spec, but Windham isn't a junk brand and the components you are talking about will be easy to install and assess their fitment and function in the unlikely event something is out of spec.

The parts from a quality brand are probably in the 25 to 50 dollar range.

Good brands to look at... from least expensive to most expensive are Strike Industries, Phase 5, Spikes tactical, troy industries, Wilson combat, BCM...

Before you buy anything I would suggest you find a video on you tube detailing the installation so you can determine if that is something you are comfortable with attempting yourself, and you can see what tools are needed and order them at the same time as the parts.

So... as long as your rifle is mil spec and the parts you buy are mil spec you should be fine.

Hope this helped...
You can PM me here if you have any questions...

Last edited by brycewise; November 26, 2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old November 26, 2017, 12:11 AM   #7
Charlie98

Personally, I would just get him the AR and be done with it. Let him shoot it first and decide what he thinks he needs on it. I've found the box stock AR to be a pretty competent package... without all the ambi stuff... assuming he is right handed. If he is a lefty... get him a lefty AR.

My daughter is right-handed, but left-eye dominant... I've taught her to use a righty AR, shooting left-handed.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old November 26, 2017, 12:05 PM   #8
1Longbow

Thanks ,really messed up the post ,but fixed it now
Old November 26, 2017, 01:32 PM   #9
brycewise

Yes you should be fine with both... There are different types of safety throw levers you may come across like standard, extended, short throw or 45 deg. throw... and standard or extended options for Mag releases... If it isn't a "Surprise" present I would ask what his preference is.
Old November 27, 2017, 03:22 AM   #10
marine6680

There are some ambi parts available, like mag releases, safeties... That are fairly generic, in that they are designed to fit any standard forged milspec lower...

Key being a standard forged milspec lower. Deviate from that, and the fit isn't guaranteed.

Milled receivers might cause fit issues. Deviate from standard 7075 aluminum construction, and you may have issues with wear... As many ambi mag releases impinge against the receiver, it creates a wear pattern on a standard lower, plastic/composite/carbon fiber may not like it.

Ambi bolt catches are more difficult, they usually need to be built in, or the lower modified... Though there are some gizmos like the Magpul B.A.D. lever that help fill the role without modifications.