The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 15, 2020, 04:29 AM   #1
TimW77

MORE Scope Questions

Had a previous thread about lower powered scopes such as 1-6X scopes...

Purchased BOTH a Vortex Strike Eagle in 1-6X and 1-8X...

Have not received either yet so do not know how they will be...

Question now is on higher powered scopes such as 4X, 5X or 6X scopes with at least a 5 times zoom range so looking for something like a 4-20X, 5-25X, 6-30X or similar scopes...

One scope I'm looking at is a "sniper" MODEL: ZT5-25x50FFP...

This scope has a FIRST Focal Plane Reticle which I prefer. Have not had time to look at any other scopes of this type yet...

This/these scopes are for several rifles including AR-15 in .223 Rem and 6.5X38mm Grendel plus bolt action and AR-10 TYPE in 6.5 Creedmore, .308 Win and maybe .30-06 and .338-06...

Tim

Last edited by TimW77; January 16, 2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old January 15, 2020, 09:09 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

I see a lot of choices, but no questions.

Difficult to answer if you don't ask.
Old January 15, 2020, 10:40 PM   #3
jmr40

Not sure what you want to know. But some nuggets of wisdom.

A higher quality scope is far more important than a lot of X's. Above 10X and you start seeing negatives that may offset the positives. It is possible to shoot pretty darn accurately with 1X for each 100 yards, a 10X scope will get you to 1000 yards. I can see someone wanting 12X or maybe a little more, but not anything 20X or more.

If you're using it on a hunting rifle 2nd focal plane is just fine. Even on a target rifle 1st focal plane isn't that much of an advantage.

I have the 1-6X Vortex you've ordered. It is a decent scope and I like mine for what I use it for. The crosshairs are pretty thick on these to make them easy to find quickly and in low light. But that does make it a little harder to aim them precisely compared to a target scope with very fine crosshairs. That isn't a negative. That is what they are designed for.

Winston Churchill
Old January 16, 2020, 09:12 PM   #4
TimW77

"It is possible to shoot pretty darn accurately with 1X for each 100 yards, a 10X scope will get you to 1000 yards."

That is EXACTLY what I like!!!

And generally don't go over 12X...

"Even on a target rifle 1st focal plane isn't that much of an advantage."

First Focal Plane is just a personal preference...

"A higher quality scope is far more important than a lot of X's."

Agree, have several $800 and several $1400 scopes, NONE are over 12X !!!

TW
Old January 16, 2020, 09:19 PM   #5
TimW77

"I see a lot of choices, but no questions."

Reread, "question now is"...

TW
Old January 16, 2020, 09:33 PM   #6
TimW77

Uses for Scopes / Rifles / Cartridges

Currently being disabled and almost unable to stand let alone walk...

Primary use for these scopes right now is for target shooting. Local range I use is limited to 200 yards and a friend has a range out to just short of 400 yards.

With current disabilities I have trouble setting up targets out to just 25 yards...

Could hunt from a stand / fixed position but can't get to a stand more than a few yards away!

TW
Old January 17, 2020, 02:59 AM   #7
Scorch

I never trust unknown brand scopes. Lens quality is one of the first things to go when price is the main consideration. For the same money, you can buy a Vortex Diamondback or a Konus and get a lifetime warranty. Add a little more and you can buy a Weaver or a lower end Leupold. Your choice.
Old January 17, 2020, 07:28 AM   #8
agtman

Too many low-end, low brand or re-branded, Chi-Com junk optics masquerading as scopes on the market today. Poor glass, spongey imprecise dials, little to no Q.C.

Definitely a roll of the dice coming outta da box.

Nope, the wise Fuddley chooses wisely. Stick wth known optics makers whose Q.C./Q.A. can be vetted.
Old January 17, 2020, 11:21 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

As a general rule the faster the target moves, the lower the magnification you want. For moving targets the size of the field of view is important. Higher the X, the smaller the field of view.

For targets that don't move, higher powers do well, up to a point. Past that point you get increased mirage (heat simmer) and higher powers magnify every tiny rifle movement. When you got up to 18x or so you can easily see your heartbeat in the crosshairs, even if the rest of you is rock still.

I have a 6-18x on a .22-250 and a 6-24x on a ,25-05 varmint gun. To get a good look I crank them up. To get a good SHOT, I crank them back down to about 9x, or less.