The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 20, 2020, 01:52 PM   #51
stagpanther

As with any cartridge--ya get what ya pay for if you don't measure where your bullet engages the lands (or throat, in this case, if that's what ya mean), unless you're implying something else is going on?
Old January 20, 2020, 01:59 PM   #52
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
Because he's going to either...

1. Blindly follow a "recipe" that -- in fact -- jams a bullet into the freebore/throat of that rifle, or
2. Use a "similar weight" bullet at an OAL wherein the different shape jams a bullet into the freebore/throat.

Cast-Bullet-wise it will jam/fail to completely close & fully rotate the bolt/require mortaring to extract the cartridge/much higher pressures
Jacket bullets will jam/fail to completely close & fully rotate the bolt/require significant mortaring to extract the cartridge/significantly higher pressures

Someone who truly know what they're doing can overcome/accommodate these narrow parameters/issues/vulnerabilities in using a straightforward engineering approach to check form & function below letting the bolt go. New guys have enough of a problem w/o having to deal with them straight out of the starting gate.
I could not care less about cast and I am sure Winchester probably does not either. As far as jacketed goes, I really dont see the problem there either. Even if you straight up jam the crimped bullet into the lands, you should be fine IF you used the correct dia bullet and IF you began with the starting load, you should be fine.
Old January 20, 2020, 02:11 PM   #53
stagpanther

I've never had any of the 350L handloads I've done come even remotely close to jamming--pistol bullets are way too short to seated long; and the two or three rifle bullets that you can use for the 350L would need to be seated pretty long to get anywhere near jamming, might be able to do with a bolt gun magazine that allows COL to go well past 2.26, but I don't think it's easy to accomplish a jam even if you tried on purpose. Unless for some strange reason your jamming the case mouth into the throat itself--which I guess is possible under certain circumstances.
Old January 20, 2020, 02:12 PM   #54
mehavey

Quote:
You should be......
Oh you kid.....

Too bad about cast, though.
That's where the real rubber meets the real road in that kind of cartridge.
Everything else is ho-hum pedestrian

ps: The exposure of the Speer 180FP's straight shank -- a bullet which is an outstanding performer -- is very sensitive to the short freebore distance.
Old January 20, 2020, 03:38 PM   #55
reynolds357

Quote:
Oh you kid.....

ps: The exposure of the Speer 180FP's straight shank -- a bullet which is an outstanding performer -- is very sensitive to the short freebore distance.
Used to the firearms manufacturers stated in their manuals to only use factory ammo. I now see why.
Old January 20, 2020, 03:42 PM   #56
reynolds357

Quote:
Oh you kid.....

I quit being a kid a long time ago, but I wish I were still young. It would be nice for the joints to not hurt.
I have hand loaded for about every modern non proprietary cartridge out there, and quite a few proprietary. I have loaded for a pile of wildcats. I have designed and built a couple of wildcats.
Despite not doing things the way you think they should be done, I have never blown up a firearm or even had a mishap. Reloading is not complicated.

Last edited by reynolds357; January 20, 2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old January 20, 2020, 06:18 PM   #57
mehavey

Troops, I'm not exactly new to this Legend rodeo:

Today's venture:

From this I would offer that fitting the bullet OAL, exposed shank diameter/length, and ogive roll-off was unique in every case.
Nothing cookbook or set solution about any of it.

(And as Stag can attest, even a "tried&true" case manufacturer provided an unpleasant surprise)
Old January 20, 2020, 06:57 PM   #58
stagpanther

There seems to be a tough learning curve with many of the new cartridge introductions these days. One thing I've noticed--not necessarily a correlation, but generally the more sensationalized that introduction is (i.e. claims that are barely "true") the more lipstick they're putting on problematic debutante.