The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 21, 2018, 10:27 AM   #1
Mikeshootny

New To Shooting....Suggestions For First Handgun

Hello everyone. I’ve just recently gotten into shooting and am planning to buy my first handgun. I’ve been advised to go Striker Fired, 9MM. Im looking at a few options and was hoping to get some thoughts from those familiar with following pistols: Glock 19, Walther PPQ M2, HK VP9, and HK VP9SK

I am going to shoot all 4 of these guns in next 1-2 weeks. I’m just wondering what opinions people have on them. Does anyone really stand out as a softer shooter? I know that Glocks have a fantastic reputation for reliability. How’s the reliability of the Walther and the two HK’s? Any thoughts are most appreciated!
Old March 21, 2018, 01:19 PM   #2
Fishbed77

Quote:
I’ve been advised to go Striker Fired, 9MM.
IMHO, one's first handgun should be in .22LR.

As a newer shooter, you need to build your skill, which you will be encouraged to do as you make more hits with a .22LR (hitting the target is fun and encourages more shooting) than you will with a larger defensive cartridge.

That said, I'm of the opinion that 9mm is the best all-around defensive caliber for a new (or experienced) shooter. Whether you get a hammer- or striker-fired pistol is up to you. Both have their advantages, and you need to do some research before just going on someone else's advice.

Quote:
I know that Glocks have a fantastic reputation for reliability. How’s the reliability of the Walther and the two HK’s?
The Glock and Walther designs have a well-earned reputation for reliability. HK makes some of the most reliable pistols on the market, but the VP9 has not been without issues, some of which HK has yet to fully address. Again, I recommend that you do your research.
Old March 21, 2018, 02:11 PM   #3
GunFickle

I'll second the .22 cal for your 1st gun. Much easier to develop good technique and much cheaper to shoot. I have 3 9mm, 3 .380s and I shoot my Ruger MK III more than the other 6 combined.
Old March 21, 2018, 02:20 PM   #4
RAfiringline

I guess I'd recommend 3 guns.
1) a Crosman pump 177 air gun - you can practice just about anywhere, anytime, cheap both in gun and ammo. (~$60)
2) an inexpensive 22 revolver or auto. (~$250 ).
3) a quality 9mm. A Glock 19 (SA only) or a CZp01 (DA/SA, a little safer for a beginner). ($500-600).

Last edited by RAfiringline; March 21, 2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old March 21, 2018, 02:26 PM   #5
Skans

Personally, I like hammer-fired double action / single action 9mm's with a manual safety. I'm not comfortable carrying a Glock-type gun with a round in the chamber. If it's just going to be a range gun, then it probably doesn't matter.
Old March 21, 2018, 02:33 PM   #6
Johnny B

My recommendation is to rent or borrow as many guns as possible before making your decision. Also, don't be afraid to buy used; as long as it's well-maintained and properly functioning, you will not lose much, if anything, should you change your mind down the road, which I can almost promise you will as you learn more.

Of the guns you listed, I would probably buy the Glock, but not necessarily because it's the "best shooting". I actually don't really care for them, but they are definitely a proven platform with extensive aftermarket support.

Guns are kinda like shoes. There are different styles to accommodate a myriad of various needs and tastes. That's why I highly encourage that you try as much as you can to form your own opinions.
Old March 21, 2018, 02:49 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

The previous comments all make valid points.
1. Don't eliminate a hammer fired gun just because you "have been told".
2. Don't be too anxious to go right to a center fire chambering like 9MM. Although one of the most common, and available at lower cost center fire rounds, it is still considerably more costly than a 22 rimfire.
You will be needing to do a lot of shooting to learn properly.
If at a later time you want to sell the rimfire (I highly recommend against it) to put the money toward a 9MM you probably won't lose a lot of your original money.
3. Rent, try, shoot. A lot before you decide. Especially if you have limited funds to buy, and/or will be oy a one gun person.
4. Take training classes as much as possible. Proper training can save lots of time, and money in learning proper techniques. It's a lot easier to learn with good instruction now than to try to correct bad habits later.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 21, 2018, 03:36 PM   #8
fullsize only

I would recommend getting a sp101 in 357.

1. It shoots 38 specials as well, which you can practice with at a decent price.

2. Revolvers are much easier to learn/operate.

3. When you get comfortable with it, you can go to 38 +p ammo or 357 for self/home defense.

4. Then you can get the 9mm. Comparable recoil with the 38 +p ammo so the transition should be smooth.

5. Finally, when you get proficient with the 9mm, you can use the sp101 to train your date with when you take them to range and show them how "John Wick" you'll get if someone messes with them. LOL.
Old March 21, 2018, 05:19 PM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, Mikeshootny!

I'll join the chorus singing "Get Thee to a Range." We can chew the fat all day about which guns hold how many, which ones last longest, which . . . . . At the end of the day, we live in an age of plenty when it comes to pistols, so you'll be able to choose from a variety of pistols that will meed your needs. None of us, however, can tell you which one of those you will like best, which one will fit your hands. All of the pistols you listed (Glock 19, Walther PPQ M2, HK VP9, and HK VP9SK) are built by reputable manufacturers, and each has its following.

It would help if we knew a few of things: What's the purpose of this gun? I know you said it's to be your "first handgun," but to what end? Simply learning to shoot? Range time? Are you planning on carrying it? Using it for home defense? If it's for home defense or self defense, do you have the budget for a second pistol, or are you strictly limited to one?
Old March 21, 2018, 05:21 PM   #10
TJB101

Great comments from everyone ranging from 22LR to a soft shooting SP101.

I’ll recommend a 500 Magnum ... very easy on your hands ... just kidding... don’t buy this gun, ever.

What’s the planned use for said gun? Sorry if you denoted the reason already. For fun plinking I would by a 22 revolver. For more of a home protection / plinker I would buy the SP101 that someone else mentioned. I’m a reloader and I roll some super soft 357 loads that feel like a 22 out of my GP100 and SP101.

Enjoy whatever you consider getting

Tim
Old March 21, 2018, 05:21 PM   #11
MandolinMan

You will get many different answers to your question mainly because we're all different and have varying preferences and needs.

As others have mentioned, a 22 LR handgun is a great place to start. The minimal recoil of the round makes learning to shoot much easier. Also, its not something that you will outgrow. Many experienced shooters regularly shoot .22LR because ( aside from being very fun) its great for refining proper technique.

That said, a full sized 9mm pistol is not a bad place to start either. Recoil is fairly mild and ammo is very reasonable. My preference is strongly toward hammer fired pistols ( Sig, CZ, Beretta, H&K, 1911's, etc). I won't say that they are 'better'. Its simply my preference for a number of reasons. My advice to you is to try as many different pistols as you can and make an informed decision based on your needs and preferences.

Also, get some quality training early on as bad habits shooting habits are difficult to break and sometimes dangerous.

Welcome to TFL!
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old March 21, 2018, 05:39 PM   #12
TunnelRat

The only pistol on your list I haven't owned was the sk. At a certain point a lot of it comes down to personal preferences. In terms of reliability and overall quality I don't see any issues with what you listed.

I think 22LR has merit, but I also know people that can shoot a 22LR pistol just fine that fall apart when it comes to shooting centerfire pistols. The techniques transfer, but learning to deal with the recoil and overcoming what is for many people a natural adverse reaction to that recoil isn't something that is well done, IMO, with a 22.

Revolvers are nice too. My first handgun was a S&W Model 19 that now a friend of mine owns. If you can master the long DA pull of a revolver you can likely master most triggers. I still take my current revolver out on occasion just to practice trigger control.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 21, 2018, 05:54 PM   #13
WVsig

I will go against the grain on this one. I hate the 22LR recommendation for new shooters. I see it all the time but in my experience shooting 22LR in a pistol does not translate as much to shooting larger caliber handguns and people claim it does. Here is why:
  • There is no recoil. Managing the recoil impulse of say a 9mm is a huge part of shooting a gun well. With 22LR you are not learning that skill. Yes you learn trigger control but you can do that with dry firing.
  • Too many 22LRs a have manual of arms that do not translate to other pistols. I love my Ruger MKII but the way it operates does not translate to my Sig P228.
  • The cost can be an issue. A decent 22LR is $300 plus ammo to shoot. Plus there is the cost of range time.

My advice to new shooters is to go to a range that rents guns or go with a friend with a good number of guns. Shoot them. Some will feel better in the hand than others. Some will feel right while others will feel strange. You can narrow the field down a bit. All of the guns you are looking at are reliable and should serve you well. If you can take your time shoot all the guns more than once. I would say 50 rounds out of each if you can do it. From there you have a decent chance of choosing one that will work for you.

Then instead of that 22LR pistol go get yourself some training. Take a 1 day basic pistol fundamentals course. Do not substitute a CCW course for this training. Make sure the course is going to have a fair amount of range time where you will shoot 300+ rounds. If you tell us where you are located we might be able to steer you in the right direction. This should cost you $75-$150 depending on your area and your class. This will give you a good foundation from which to practice. Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

From there run your gun. Shoot as regularly as possible to refine and maintain your skills. Read about dry fire drills and practice. Once you have been shooting for a bit maybe 6 to 9 months take another class. This time a 2 day class that will build on what you were taught in the first classes and help you move to the next level. This class will cost in the $175 -$250 range. It can be a lot more but it does not have to be.

TRAINING more than anything else will help you learn to shoot better. It will make a bigger difference in your ability to learn to shoot well in a shorter period of time than what gun you choose. That $300 invested in training will yield better results than a 22LR pistol would. IMHO If I could go back and start all over again I would have taken more training courses and bought less guns. I would be a better shooter today and the safe would still have plenty of guns in it.

Last edited by WVsig; March 21, 2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old March 21, 2018, 06:07 PM   #14
Kvon2

Are you interested in other suggestions? I took your post as you've narrowed down the list and wanted some thoughts on those 4.

There's a lot of talk about .22lr and while its a good suggestion for both new and experienced shooters, you'll probably have the bug for a larger caliber soon. But then again if you get a 9mm, you'll still want a .22lr at some point.

My point is, get what interests you, don't let people talk you out of it.
Old March 21, 2018, 06:09 PM   #15
photographix

Welcome!

I have a 9mm Walther PPQ M1, and I really like it. (The primary differences between the M1 and M2 is that the M1 has a paddle mag release and that the mags are not compatible.) It's easy to shoot, more accurate than I am, and very comfortable. And it's very well made and reliable.

I should have gotten a .22 first, though. Since I got my .22, I've become a better shooter, and my technique with the 9mm has also improved.

As others have said, a .22 would enable you to shoot a *lot* without breaking the bank. .22 ammo is about 1/4 the cost of 9mm ammo. A brand new good .22 pistol would cost about half or less of a Walther, Glock, or HK.

You can also consider getting a .22 version of a 9mm pistol. That would let you get used to the ergonomics of a particular model.
Old March 21, 2018, 06:12 PM   #16
kmw1954

Mike, Welcome to the group 1st of all!!!

My 1st handgun was a S&W Model 19 4" 357mag. of which I didn't shoot a lot of magnums thru it because the same person that got me shooting also got me reloading. That first year I shot a lot of very light target load lead Wadcutters and Semi Wadcutters.
Then I got out of shooting for many years until about 2 years ago. Then the first gun I purchased was a used Taurus PT92C 9mm. This is also the first gun my new wife had ever shot.. Now in less tan 1 yr. she now owners her own Springfield XD Mod2 9mm and a recently purchased Springfield XD Mod2 45acp.

If you have any friends that shoot then go with them and shoot theirs to get a feel otherwise find ranges that rent and shoot as many as you can and remember once the range guys find out you are in the market for a new gun they will become very accommodating. After all they are there to sell guns!

Unfortunately I do not have any experience with any of the guns you have asked about but still the best advice is your own so go shoot'um! Personally when I look down the sights I can't tell if its a hammer or striker.
Old March 21, 2018, 06:15 PM   #17
WVsig

Man I think I am the only person on this board that finds shooting 22LR boring. LOL I can't remember the last time I shot 22LR.
Old March 21, 2018, 06:24 PM   #18
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVsig View Post
Man I think I am the only person on this board that finds shooting 22LR boring. LOL I can't remember the last time I shot 22LR.

As my post before yours alluded to I really am no fan either for many of the reasons you mentioned. I know some people do find it helps, but I barely shoot my 22s. Mostly I use them to introduce new shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 21, 2018, 06:28 PM   #19
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
As my post before yours alluded to I really am no fan either for many of the reasons you mentioned. I know some people do find it helps, but I barely shoot my 22s. Mostly I use them to introduce new shooters.

I agree with that. I will often put a 22LR in the hands of someone who has no shooting experience but we quickly move to another gun. The next step is often a revolver with soft shooting 38 Spl loads. I then move on to semi-auto 9mms.
Old March 21, 2018, 06:30 PM   #20
Fla_dogman

I kinda disagree with the 22 caliber first unless you've got money to burn. A gun is a tool, determine what the use or job it is to be used for then get the right tool for the job. If concealed carry is the purpose then a slinder auto might be an option. If it's home defense and target shooting then a larger weapon would be great. You might consider staying away from barrels under 4 inches because short barrels are a little more snappy. If you can, try as many different models of the caliber you want. Look for one that provides a natural feel when pointing at the target, triggers that is not too hard or travels too far etc. If you're not familiar with guns find someone who is to help you. They is a lot of variety out there so do your leg work, you'll be glad you did.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old March 21, 2018, 06:47 PM   #21
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVsig View Post
I agree with that. I will often put a 22LR in the hands of someone who has no shooting experience but we quickly move to another gun. The next step is often a revolver with soft shooting 38 Spl loads. I then move on to semi-auto 9mms.

I do basically the same. I use the 22 to introduce the concepts of trigger control and sight alignment before making them deal with recoil too. It also covers some of the basic function of a firearm. Doesn’t take long before we move to a revolver or a 9mm.

Old March 21, 2018, 07:09 PM   #22
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeshootny View Post
Hello everyone. I’ve just recently gotten into shooting and am planning to buy my first handgun. I’ve been advised to go Striker Fired, 9MM. Im looking at a few options and was hoping to get some thoughts from those familiar with following pistols: Glock 19, Walther PPQ M2, HK VP9, and HK VP9SK

I am going to shoot all 4 of these guns in next 1-2 weeks. I’m just wondering what opinions people have on them. Does anyone really stand out as a softer shooter? I know that Glocks have a fantastic reputation for reliability. How’s the reliability of the Walther and the two HK’s? Any thoughts are most appreciated!
IMO the Glock 19, Walther PPQ, and HK VP9 are all terrific pistols with excellent reputation for reliability/durability and I own all three. If I could own only one it would probably be a Gen 5 Glock 19 especially if concealed carry was a concern.

The choice of what works best for you however can depend greatly on how well a particular pistol interfaces with your hands and fingers including reach to trigger which is why it is best to try and rent/borrow whatever you are considering to try with live fire at the range which will also demonstrate recoil characteristics of a particular pistol.

However you would be much more able to pick out a pistol that works best for you after some basic training. IMO one on training, which could happen with a very small group, on safety, stance, grip, trigger control, and sight acquisition by a qualified instructor who could coach and correct you on such will go a long way to being able to do that. Often such training also have multiple popular handguns to try out.

IMO using a .22 pistol for training can also be beneficial such as for sight acquisition and trigger control without the distraction of recoil and loud blast. Whatever you end up shooting wear good eye and hearing protection. I wear ear plugs and muffs.

I am also a big fan of dry firing to work on trigger control. I use a LaserLyte
9MM laser training cartridge for that and it makes it more enjoyable and instant accurate feedback.

Good luck!
Old March 21, 2018, 07:18 PM   #23
Mikeshootny

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! Let me give a little more info and answer some of the questions. I absolutely intend to try out multiple pistols. I am going to use a highly experienced instructor right from the start to assist me in becoming a proficient shooter. I intend to shoot a lot and put a good deal of time into it. I plan on using a pistol for several things. Just shooting enjoyment at the range with friends, for home defense(God willing I’ll never actually need it for that!) and down the road, for concealed carry. My thinking is that I’m gonna buy two pistols, but not at the same time. Something like one of the guns I mentioned and then a compact 9mm down the road, 6-12 months, to possibly use for concealed carry. Yes I know the VP9SK is a subcompact. I only mentioned that to see how folks feel about it compared to the three other, bigger guns.

I’m confident I can do just fine learning on a 9mm. I know a retired cop that taught his wife and daughter to shoot on a Glock 19 without a problem. Granted he was very good at instructing them step by step......but I have access to very good, patient instructors. I just wanted to get oeople’s Thoughts on the pistols I mentioned. I greatly appreciate it.
Old March 21, 2018, 07:25 PM   #24
CalmerThanYou

I really like the HK VP9 It does everything well. Perhaps a big step for a fist gun, but one you would likely be happy with for a lifetime. Sample a few at the range and you should get a feel for what is right for you.
Old March 21, 2018, 07:43 PM   #25
Spats McGee
Staff

Well, I can't tell you about all of them. At least not from firsthand experience. In fact, I only have experience with one of them, the G19. As a jack-of-all-trades gun, it's hard to beat. Relatively inexpensive, notoriously reliable, with more aftermarket support than you could possibly use. With all of that said, I'll repeat what I said earlier: All of the pistols you have on your list are built by reputable manufacturers. Unless you just get a lemon, which is possible, any of them would serve you well for decades, with proper maintenance.