The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 5, 2017, 08:56 PM   #1
red caddy

SOTA arms .458 SOCOM

This past weekend I pulled the trigger on a SOTA Arms .458 SOCOM complete upper (couldn't pass the sale price)

I have purchased several comp uppers from then and been very satisfied, Can anyone shed a little light on the .458?

I don't want to discuss my choice, I just want to gather information.

Thanks, RED
Old August 6, 2017, 06:50 AM   #2
fourbore

It is not a SAAMI standard round. I copied this from the sota website.

"NOTE: This caliber is not currently SAAMI approved! Loading dies are all being made as the manufactueres best guess since there is no specific print numbers. We have seen dies that produce brass that works as well as dies that do not. "

I have an RRA and load starline brass with IMR 4198, Hornady 350 FTX and CCI large pistol primers. I wont mention the dies because it appears you will need to contact SOTA for guidance. I planed to try reloader 7.

You might want to get a box of loaded ammo from SOTA or find out what they use to test fire. Just to start out on the right foot. I never purchased any factory ammo and I really should have. it seems a fine line to stay under max pressure and have full functionality. And the max loading data varies quite a lot. Most of the data I referenced was found on line. Barnes has some data you might try the 4227 loads.

Barnes lists LilGun powder and there were warning and concerns over that choice and I decided to stay away from that one. I forget the issue. Google will find a lot of discussion.

I work up until the bolt stays open after the last shot. That is my load. I will move higher to look at primers than back down. This is a low pressure round. Nothing even close to the 223. Tricky to load - for me anyway.

This is a lot of fun shooting. It really should be a standard. Ego or greed? I cannot say.

BTW, Rock River Arms is licensed to build the 458. Appears SOTA is not. I never had any question about dies. I will mention now, I use Lee. It is a little misleading to say there are no prints. The manufactures has to pay up first.

What kind of deal can I get on a SOTA and where?
Old August 6, 2017, 07:03 AM   #3
fourbore

I checked some old targets. I am shooting at 50 yards with a 4x scope.

I got any where from 2 to 3 inch groups (3 to 5 shots) with 300 grain hornady bullets and 4198.

With 325 Hornady and 4198 I got 0.75 inch groups. Basally one hole. So, thats my load for now.

I use the RRA Operator stock that has a thick rubber recoil pad. I also installed the optional smith brake. It has a very soft recoil setup like this. Much less than a 30-06 or 308 sporter. Some complain or brag about the power. I bet they have made a bad choice for the stock. You dont want a flimsy push button adjustable stock with a hard plastic butt pad.
Old August 6, 2017, 07:08 AM   #4
Capt Rick Hiott

Here ya go guys.... http://458socomforums.com/
Old August 6, 2017, 03:55 PM   #5
44caliberkid

It is a really fun caliber. Best if you can handload. I like the Nosler 300 grain ballistic tip. I love how that expensive brass just pops out on the table about 18 inches right of the ejection port. Never lose one. I get 1.25 inch groups at 100 yards. I'll probably never kill anything but paper with it. But when my wife retires I'd like to spend some winters in Texas, so I might get to shoot a hog someday.
Old August 6, 2017, 07:18 PM   #6
rickyrick

Quote:
... winters in Texas, so I might get to shoot a hog someday.
off topic but, I used to have what I called the "Saint Valentine's Day Massacre" at least where I hunted in Texas, it was always the most active pig time period. Would have a great time... my ex wife wasn't too pleased with my activities on that day.
Old August 6, 2017, 07:55 PM   #7
red caddy

Yep, I've been reading everything I can find on screen, the 525 and the 300 Nosler seem to be leading the charge , 'specially with the 1:14 twist 16 inch H-bar style barrel. Acuracy and terminal performance seem to be very close to what I'm used to with the 45-70, pretty neat trick, with seriously reduced powder capacity, and gas opp.

This build is a flight of fancy for me, I wanted a serious thumper, yet lighter and better balanced than my pet 45-70. Marlin 1895, 22 inch barrel, 1:20 twist. (with scope and 10 rounds on board in the full length tube, it's on the short side of 11 lbs.)

The Marlin has never failed me, out past 250 yards, DRT. I also shoot a H&R heavy barrel 45-90 and a Quigley copy Sharps in 45-120. none of them has ever failed to deliver 1 shot DRT.

I don't chase critters anymore, I sit my plump little butt down, shoot from sticks and send the grandboys to do the heavy lifting. (sometimes, it's good to be old...)

I have an Anderson lower and now some concerns about the adjustable stock standing up to the recoil, anybody help with real world experience?

From what I can gather, Lee dies and a FCD is the most trouble free way to go, any buddy know different?

OK, that's enough questions for now, more real world experience is requested.

RED the sheep dog
Old August 6, 2017, 08:42 PM   #8
mete

I hunt with a Browning 1885 in 45-70. I use a factory loaded 300 gr Barnes which goes about 1850 fps. You should be able to match that with a SOCOM.
Performance ? excellent on deer of up to at least 300 lb.