The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 29, 2017, 09:15 AM   #26
F. Guffey

And then there were smiths and reloaders that got the cleaver ideal to convert 7mm57 to 280 Remington. Again, not a good ideal, because the 7mm57 has a generous neck meaning when finished the shooter/smith/reloader will have an artifact from the 7mm57 that causes the fired case to have two different diameter necks.

And then there was another 8mm barrel with the same problem.

F. Guffey
Old June 29, 2017, 11:38 AM   #27
Jim Watson

Was the "artifact" enough to make extraction hard?

I once read an article "A Conversion Failure" about an 8mm '06 rechamber that left a ring on the case.

A friend has a .280 that used to be a 7mm Mauser. But it got that way with a new barrel.
Old June 29, 2017, 12:37 PM   #28
F. Guffey

Quote:
I once read an article "A Conversion Failure" about an 8mm '06 rechamber that left a ring on the case.
If that was possible I would have two of them. The difference in length from the shoulder to the case head between the 8mm57 and 30/06 is .127". It is possible to have a Mauser chamber with a generous neck, if that happens we are beck to having two different neck diameters.

I have fired 8mm57 ammo in a 8mm06 chamber; if there was any truth to the old but cute saying the firing pin drives the case forward to the shoulder of the chamber my cases would have separated because we all should know the case can not be stretched .127" between the case head and case body. But we still have reloaders that insist everything gets into a race for the front of the chamber when the trigger is pulled. I could have an exception because I have killer firing pins and I use factors like time and distance.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; June 29, 2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: remove case head
Old June 29, 2017, 12:53 PM   #29
Jim Watson

I believe the ring described in the article WAS on the neck.
Old June 29, 2017, 04:04 PM   #30
Unclenick
Staff

Jim,

I saw that at the bottom of their page, too, but when I looked at the context of the whole page, I concluded it was referring to 7.62×39 adapters. Just bad page layout because of the words "or the .308 in the 30-06?" but then goes on to describe the 7.62×39 adapter, only.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 29, 2017, 07:53 PM   #31
Jim Watson

Yeah, you would have to be pretty curious to find out just what they are selling.

And we still don't know what the OP wants to convert.
Old June 30, 2017, 09:21 AM   #32
F. Guffey

Quote:
The outer portion in the chamber/barrel hood area is a sleeve that's fitted over the inner portion of the chamber -- the actual chamber -- and then (from what I've read) silver soldered in place.
Same thing only different: Drill out a 45 ACP barrel and save the lugs and hood, then purchases a barrel blank, the length does not matter this method works on 38 Super. This has been done on pistols with extended frames and slides. Turn the outside of the barrel blank to fit the sleeve then chamber. Most weld, I suggested threading both pieces, some of these pistols shot as good as rifles at 100 yards.

http://silfos.com/htmdocs/product_su...w_to_info.html

F. Guffey
Old June 30, 2017, 11:12 AM   #33
Jim Watson

This was one approach used by Clark to build .38 Special wadcutter guns back when gunsmiths had to make stuff instead of ordering it.
I don't know how he retained the tube in the monoblock, though.