The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 29, 2016, 02:12 PM   #1
cougar gt-e

USPSA fixed time stage

Hi, never shot a fixed time stage. Exactly how does it work?

An example is the Baseball Standards classifier. Four strings of fire,each is 4.5 seconds. I understand beginning with the beep, but how do you know when to STOP?

I tried six weak hand only shots and it was 6 seconds. I'm pretty sure there is no way I would hear a par time beep over the gun firing. Does the RO stop the shooter, or is it on the shooter to not go over time?
Old October 30, 2016, 08:14 AM   #2
g.willikers

Unless you're trying to win the match, just shoot all the targets as quickly and as accurately as you can, and accept the penalties if it's over the time limit.
It probably won't make enough difference in your final score to matter.
The idea of going to a match for most of us is to have fun and the more you shoot the more fun it is.
If you're bound and determined not to go over the time, just ask the range officer to holler out when the timer sez stop.
There's all kinds of ways to make sure the competitors hear the stop buzzer, from a smack on the shoulder to an air horn.
One of the places I used to attend used a stop plate connected to a timer, and everyone shot until that one was down, penalties acquired as earned.
No arguments with that method.
Old October 30, 2016, 12:50 PM   #3
Don P

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there is no way I would hear a par time beep over the gun firing. Does the RO stop the shooter, or is it on the shooter to not go over time?
I'm hearing impaired to a degree. You can hear the beep over the gun fire. It's not the RO's responsibility to stop you from shooting. Once the beep has occurred the RO will let you know "IF you didn't hear it" It's common practice and also in the rule book for the RO not to interfere with the shooter during the course of fire unless it is a safety violation.
To answer the question its on the shooter, not the RO. When you have time go here, www.uspsa.org and take a look at the rule book
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 31, 2016, 08:39 AM   #4
g.willikers

Don't sweat getting range officer assistance if needed.
If you are a new match goer, you will probably get more than you asked for anyway.
Old November 1, 2016, 10:39 AM   #5
RickB

I've shot lots and lots of fixed-time classifiers, and you do have to be quick to react to the timer - if you can hear it.

Generally, if you trigger a shot at the moment you hear the timer, that shot won't be late, since (IIRC, haven't shot a USPSA match in three or four years), you get a .3 second "grace period"; your shot won't be late unless the timer reads 4.81 seconds.

When I was a nooby, I used to decide, in advance, how many targets I could hit in the provided time window, and just shot that many rounds. I figured three alphas was better than three charlies and two mikes.
As my shooting improved, I could at least get off the minimum number of rounds in the allotted time.
Ultimately, I think the best single classifier I ever shot was a fixed-time stage.