The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 29, 2017, 06:21 PM   #1
dallasb

9mm suppressor help

Hey guys,

Possibly picking up a 9mm carbine in the near future, what are your guys suggestions for a 9mm suppressor? I already have a 30 cal and 22, so it doesn't HAVE to be a multi use unit. Requirement order:

1. Hearing safe. Doesn't have to be Hollywood quiet but something in the 130db would be more than adequate.

2. Price. <$500 before stamp. I already have a SBR 300blk that is scary quiet.

3. Size/weight/material

4. QD vs direct thread. I have used both and while a QD is nice to have, it is less important than the three above

The short term plan is that this will live exclusively on the carbine. Sometime in the future I may put it on on a 9mm pistol. I haven't fully decided if I want to invest in a barrel for my g19 yet.

Also, would it be better to go ahead and go with a 45cal silencer so I could run more than a .357 bullet through it?

Thanks,

Dallas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by dallasb; March 29, 2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old March 29, 2017, 06:46 PM   #2
smee78

I was in your position a few years ago and I went with a 45 Octane. I liked having more options on what I could run it on.
Old March 29, 2017, 09:07 PM   #3
dallasb

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee78 View Post
I was in your position a few years ago and I went with a 45 Octane. I liked having more options on what I could run it on.

Do you shoot any 45 suppressed?

Old March 30, 2017, 07:36 PM   #4
smee78

Yep, I shoot more 45 suppressed than 9mm lol. Its subsonic out of the box and is hearing safe on my applications.
Old March 30, 2017, 07:46 PM   #5
dallasb

Quote:
Yep, I shoot more 45 suppressed than 9mm lol. Its subsonic out of the box and is hearing safe on my applications.

Now how about 9mm through your 45 can?

Old March 31, 2017, 06:24 AM   #6
TMD

I also have an Octane 45 and use it for .45acp, 9mm, and .300bo. With the 9mm endcap shooting 147g loads at around 1000fps its quieter than the .45
Old March 31, 2017, 06:29 AM   #7
dallasb

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. The octane is a little over my price range with a price at silencershop of $830.

Old March 31, 2017, 07:51 PM   #8
smee78

May want to shop around, I got mine for cheaper. I also will suggest that a can is not something you want to get a cheap version of, save up a little more and get a good can with a proven record.

Yes the 9mm 147grn loads are quiet also, I built a 300BO pistol to run subsonics through but haven't shot it yet. Also the Octane is rated for 300BO subs only, not supers.
Old March 31, 2017, 08:19 PM   #9
dallasb

Quote:
May want to shop around, I got mine for cheaper. I also will suggest that a can is not something you want to get a cheap version of, save up a little more and get a good can with a proven record.

Yes the 9mm 147grn loads are quiet also, I built a 300BO pistol to run subsonics through but haven't shot it yet. Also the Octane is rated for 300BO subs only, not supers.

Thanks I appreciate the input. I am no stranger to buying quality suppressors, just didn't think this particular application needed Hollywood quiet l, only hearing safe. Do you have any other recommendations for silencers for my particular application other than the octane?

Old April 1, 2017, 11:48 AM   #10
dallasb

What do you guys think about the omega 9k?

Old April 2, 2017, 09:03 AM   #11
9x19

If you are shooting FMJ only, the Omega might work, but for peace of mind, wouldn't having the ability to dis-assemble it for cleaning be a better bet on a pistol caliber silencer?
Old April 2, 2017, 09:20 AM   #12
dallasb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
If you are shooting FMJ only, the Omega might work, but for peace of mind, wouldn't having the ability to dis-assemble it for cleaning be a better bet on a pistol caliber silencer?

Yea makes sense. I do plan to shoot a fair amount of coated bullets through it.

Old April 3, 2017, 03:51 AM   #13
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasb
1. Hearing safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smee78
Its subsonic out of the box and is hearing safe on my applications.
Guys, please stop using the term "hearing safe" to describe silencers. No silencer is hearing safe from a medical perspective, not even a .22 silencer. All silencers -- even the quietest .22 can shooting subsonic ammo out of a bolt-action rifle -- produce decibel levels that are well above the threshold for permanent hearing damage from prolonged exposure. A .22 silencer with the aforementioned ammo and host produces decibel levels in the 115 dB range, which is about the same level as a jackhammer.

The silencer industry uses the term "hearing safe" to describe any silencer under 140dB. This is a deliberately misleading term, and it's a misrepresentation of the rules for noise exposure. The 140 dB threshold is what OSHA uses for the upper limit of the safe dB threshold for a one-time impact noise. But that doesn't mean any sound below that is safe and won't cause permanent hearing loss.

Here are the decibel guidelines for daily exposure as described by the American Hearing Research Foundation (emphasis added):

"Habitual exposure to noise above 85 dB will cause a gradual hearing loss in a significant number of individuals, and louder noises will accelerate this damage. For unprotected ears, the allowed exposure time decreases by one half for each 5 dB increase in the average noise level. For instance, exposure is limited to 8 hours per day at 90 dB, 4 hours per day at 95 dB, and 2 hours per day at 100 dB. The highest permissible noise exposure for the unprotected ear is 115 dB for 15 minutes per day. Any noise above 140 dB is not permitted.
[...]
Combined use [of ear plugs and muffs] should be considered when noise exceeds 105 dB. Note that for such situations, it may be that there is no type of hearing protection that will stop a very loud noise from affecting you."

http://american-hearing.org/disorder...-hearing-loss/

In comparison, a centerfire rifle with a silencer is usually in the 135 - 140 dB range. A pistol with a silencer and subsonic ammo is usually in the 125 - 130 dB range. And a .22 with a silencer and subsonic ammo is usually in the 115 - 120 dB range.

Now, I'd be interested to know how the recommended exposure levels translate to an intermittent sound like gunfire. I'm not at all claiming that the exposure times allowed for each dB level directly translate to gunfire. But those numbers still show that suppressed gunfire can cause hearing loss, it just probably takes longer than a constant noise would take.
Old April 3, 2017, 05:50 AM   #14
dallasb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard View Post
Guys, please stop using the term "hearing safe" to describe silencers. No silencer is hearing safe from a medical perspective, not even a .22 silencer. All silencers -- even the quietest .22 can shooting subsonic ammo out of a bolt-action rifle -- produce decibel levels that are well above the threshold for permanent hearing damage from prolonged exposure. A .22 silencer with the aforementioned ammo and host produces decibel levels in the 115 dB range, which is about the same level as a jackhammer.

The silencer industry uses the term "hearing safe" to describe any silencer under 140dB. This is a deliberately misleading term, and it's a misrepresentation of the rules for noise exposure. The 140 dB threshold is what OSHA uses for the upper limit of the safe dB threshold for a one-time impact noise. But that doesn't mean any sound below that is safe and won't cause permanent hearing loss.

Here are the decibel guidelines for daily exposure as described by the American Hearing Research Foundation (emphasis added):

"Habitual exposure to noise above 85 dB will cause a gradual hearing loss in a significant number of individuals, and louder noises will accelerate this damage. For unprotected ears, the allowed exposure time decreases by one half for each 5 dB increase in the average noise level. For instance, exposure is limited to 8 hours per day at 90 dB, 4 hours per day at 95 dB, and 2 hours per day at 100 dB. The highest permissible noise exposure for the unprotected ear is 115 dB for 15 minutes per day. Any noise above 140 dB is not permitted.

[...]

Combined use [of ear plugs and muffs] should be considered when noise exceeds 105 dB. Note that for such situations, it may be that there is no type of hearing protection that will stop a very loud noise from affecting you."

http://american-hearing.org/disorder...-hearing-loss/

In comparison, a centerfire rifle with a silencer is usually in the 135 - 140 dB range. A pistol with a silencer and subsonic ammo is usually in the 125 - 130 dB range. And a .22 with a silencer and subsonic ammo is usually in the 115 - 120 dB range.

Now, I'd be interested to know how the recommended exposure levels translate to an intermittent sound like gunfire. I'm not at all claiming that the exposure times allowed for each dB level directly translate to gunfire. But those numbers still show that suppressed gunfire can cause hearing loss, it just probably takes longer than a constant noise would take.

I completely agree that some people will infer that the term "hearing safe" means they can shoot as long as they want and as fast as they want without any issues. They would be incorrect. However, according to OSHA, 140 db will not cause hearing damage if firing a single shot, so the term does have some merit. At 115db if you are shooting faster than 1rnd per second, the maximum exposure time is 15 minutes of continuous use.

With all that being said if someone is going to be shooting either quickly or for a long period of time, it is good practice to wear some form of hearing protection regardless of how loud the noise is.

Now, any more suggestions on suppressors?

Old April 3, 2017, 09:50 AM   #15
9x19

Have you looked at Silencer Shop.... they are a good resource for comparisons on size/weight/price.

Here's a direct link for pistol silencers sorted by price (low to high)

https://www.silencershop.com/silence...sc&order=price

If I were looking right now, I'd be really, really interested in the Rugged Obsidian.

The modularity is an interesting feature, and the guy behind it (Henry Graham) is a really good "engineer/designer".
Old April 3, 2017, 09:59 AM   #16
dallasb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
Have you looked at Silencer Shop.... they are a good resource for comparisons on size/weight/price.

Here's a direct link for pistol silencers sorted by price (low to high)

https://www.silencershop.com/silence...sc&order=price

If I were looking right now, I'd be really, really interested in the Rugged Obsidian.

The modularity is an interesting feature, and the guy behind it (Henry Graham) is a really good "engineer/designer".

Yes I've been lurking on silencer shop. I seen a obsidian at the last NRA show. The only concern I had was I couldn't pin down why it was more expensive than say the Griffin. I'm by no means saying it's a bad suppressor, just not sure why it cost an extra $100 is all.

Old April 3, 2017, 05:13 PM   #17
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasb
However, according to OSHA, 140 db will not cause hearing damage if firing a single shot, so the term does have some merit
I'm not aware of OSHA (or any other organization that addresses hearing safety) making the claim 140 dB can't cause hearing damage with a single noise like a gunshot, they simply cap the one-time daily impact noise exposure at a 140 dB level.

But as for the silencer, if I were getting a dedicated 9mm silencer for a carbine and I didn't plan to use it on other hosts, I'd get an Omega 9K. I like shorty cans on carbines since they keep your overall length down, and the Omega 9K is pretty quiet for how short it is. Another bonus is that it's rated for 300 Blackout supersonics as well as subs.

Last edited by Theohazard; April 3, 2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old April 4, 2017, 10:30 PM   #18
Deja vu

I got a Liberty Mystic X and I love it. I use in my my Ruger 77/357 and my Coonan 357 magnum 1911 style gun.

I load up some 210 grain cast lead bullets and they are super quiet.

The can is a combination of Titanium and Stainless steal.

It can all so work on 223s and 300 Black outs (both sub and super sonic), 7.62X39, and is full auto rated for 9mm.The newer ones are rated for 300 Winchester magnum (from a longer rifle barrel)

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old June 21, 2017, 10:46 AM   #19
dallasb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja vu View Post
I got a Liberty Mystic X and I love it. I use in my my Ruger 77/357 and my Coonan 357 magnum 1911 style gun.

I load up some 210 grain cast lead bullets and they are super quiet.

The can is a combination of Titanium and Stainless steal.

It can all so work on 223s and 300 Black outs (both sub and super sonic), 7.62X39, and is full auto rated for 9mm.The newer ones are rated for 300 Winchester magnum (from a longer rifle barrel)

Finally sold a few things so will be picking one up soon. I was going n liberties website and looked at the centurion. I like that it's slightly shorter and lighter than the mystic x, while still keeping all the caliber choices.