The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 17, 2020, 05:38 PM   #76
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
You guys are hilarious!
I'm 65 years old. I have been carrying a gun since I was 18 years old. Been there, done that-ALL of it!
I choose what is convenient and adequate for me. You carry a Desert Eagle if you want.
It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.
Same age as you and carrying the same amount of time, 98% of which has been full size handguns carried on a daily basis.

It is the Indian, but the arrow is also very important, if the Indian wants to prevail, across as broad a set of encounters as he might come across.

Those damn Blue Bellies will dick you every chance they get if you arent prepared and let them .
Old October 18, 2020, 01:53 PM   #77
CDW4ME

Old October 18, 2020, 08:50 PM   #78
Bill DeShivs

I accept responsibility for my actions.
Old October 21, 2020, 07:34 AM   #79
Carmady

Speaking of Indians, in a John Wayne movie on a stagecoach heading west a passenger said, "I think I saw an Apache," and John Wayne replied, "If he was an Apache you wouldn't have seen him."
Old October 21, 2020, 11:58 AM   #80
heckcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Im 5' 6" too, and it makes no difference.

Ive carried full sized handguns (1911's, SIG P220s/226's, Glock 17's, etc)with one or two reloads, and a lot of times, a BUG with it, every day for over 40 years now. Its easily done, "if" you want to do it.

Personally, I think pocket carry is the worst place to carry, especially if its the only gun you are carrying. Youre limited in the size and type of gun you carry, and access pretty much sucks in most "realistic" instances.
Do you have any advice or recommendations for the rest of us vertically challenged folk who wish to carry more than a sub compact?
Old October 21, 2020, 04:20 PM   #81
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckcat View Post
Do you have any advice or recommendations for the rest of us vertically challenged folk who wish to carry more than a sub compact?
Simplest advice is "just do it".

We all have to figure out what works best and where your sweet spot is. Just takes time and effort. Its not likely to happen on the first try either. Youll probably go through a couple of different holsters before you find one you like.

Dont buy cheap holsters, mag carriers, or belts. Besides the gun, they are the other must haves, and you dont want junk.

Ive always perfered 1.75" belts, as they are more comfortable and stable.

I like IWB/AIWB. Thats always worked the best for me, and once I got used to it, it was very comfortable. Takes a little time to figure that out though, as your body needs to adjust to the gun being there.

Ive always worn clothing that was my correct size without the gun being there. Some will tell you that you have to go up in size, but I never liked doing that, as those clothes dont fit and it looks like it. Wear clothes that fit, and youll be better off.

With IWB and your proper size pants, things feel snug at first, but the pants stretch and your body gives, and it soon feels fine. The other advantage is, the gun stays in place better and doenst move around.

Lots youre going to have to figure out, and the only way to do it, is to do it and give it a good try.

Cooler weather is coming. Its a good/easier time to figure things out too. Learn to dress in layers. Youll be warmer, and that way you can take your coat off when you come in, and still have a cover garment over the gun.