The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 10, 2020, 03:31 PM   #1
simonrichter

5.7 pros and cons

Finally, the legendary but until recently unobtainable 5.7 has reached my country in the form of the Ruger 57. It's more than tempting, since 5.7 is an interesting (mildly put) caliber for a gun afficionado. Yet, since the number of guns obe can purchase with the standard permit are limited, reason points its reproachful finger... So, here are some thoughts, please correct / add:

pros:

+ negligible recoil for a caliber in that ME range
+ flat shooting
+ high mag cap within normal grip configuration
+ extremely lightweight, both the ammo and the gun
+ cool factor...

cons:
- price (ammo is between EUR 1,20 and 2,40 a bang, the Ruger 57 is around 1.350,--)
- less combinable (e.g. there is no carbine that takes R57 mags like the many ones taking Glock mags, right?)
- caliber is suited for this particular size of pistol only (Other than 9mm, a compact or subcompact 5.7x28 pistol would be somewhat pointless, wouldn't it?)
- supersonic round that's hard to suppress / doesn't very much exceed .22lr in the subsonic version

...did I miss any aspect...?
Old October 10, 2020, 04:42 PM   #2
zoo

Looks like you did pretty good on all the pros and cons but for the ability of the round to penetrate body armor when using the right load.
Old October 10, 2020, 05:33 PM   #3
stinkeypete

"flat shooting" in a semiautomatic format seems a bit of a non-sequitur.

The nice thing about .45acp and .22LR subsonic is that although they might be a bit parabolic, they roughly hold zero at 50 feet and 50 yards- the common target ranges I use.

Without a scope and silhouette style positions or bracing- I honestly can't hold target at much more than 75 yards anyhow.

I think the major disadvantage is that it may become an obsolete chambering but hey, maybe it's just a simple rebarrel to make it in to something more common... like maybe .32-20???

If you had to rebarrel a Ruger 57, other than 25 auto... what could be done?
Old October 10, 2020, 05:48 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Quote:
+ flat shooting
I agree with stinkeypete. "flat shooting" is pretty much a non-issue in this, and most other handguns
In my opinion flat shooting doesn't enter the conversation until ranges reach, or exceed triple digits in yards or meters.
Quote:
- caliber is suited for this particular size of pistol only (Other than 9mm, a compact or subcompact 5.7x28 pistol would be somewhat pointless, wouldn't it?)
Why? there are plenty of popular 357 Magnum snubbies sold every year.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 10, 2020, 07:37 PM   #5
rock185

simonrichter, I think you have it pretty well covered. I had the use of the FN pistol and plenty of ammo for some time. I thought it an interesting, but odd pistol. I could have purchased the pistol for a very reasonable price, but didn't. It was a little too odd for me. Were I in the market nowdays for a 5.7 pistol, I'd go with the Ruger instead.

BTW, the FN SS192 ammo I was supplied averaged 2025 FPS from the pistol. Impressive velocity from the pistol's 4.8" barrel I thought.
Old October 10, 2020, 10:46 PM   #6
Forte S+W

I prefer 7.62x25 Tokarev, it's a bigger, more powerful round which tends to be substantially cheaper due to the amount of surplus ammo on the market, not to mention surplus pistols to shoot them from.

You can get old MilSurp Tokarev TT33 Pistols for around $300 or so, generally in very good condition, which are pretty nice-looking pistols, like a cross between the FN 1903 and Colt 1911 in appearance.

Here's my Romanian Tokarev TTC, not the best example, but it suffices.
Old October 11, 2020, 04:20 AM   #7
volkstrm

Did you think of going with a 1911 in 22tcm/9mm? This way you have one gun two calibers.
Old October 11, 2020, 06:05 AM   #8
simonrichter

Quote:
Did you think of going with a 1911 in 22tcm/9mm? This way you have one gun two calibers.
n/a where I live, otherwise, I find the .22tcm more versatile than the 5.7 for this reason. Does the .22tcm conversion retain the locked breech / short recoil operation or is it delayed blowback like the 5.7?
Old October 11, 2020, 01:08 PM   #9
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkstrm View Post
This was going to be my suggestion too. Too bad it’s unavailable, it’s a blast, literally. I love mine and ammo is reasonable at $20.00/50.