The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 30, 2019, 02:28 PM   #51
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond
Well, I did the plunk test and the round fell in flush and rotated without resistance so I think the cartridge OAL fine for my chamber.
Just be sure to check SEVERAL rounds out of several boxes before you become sure that the ammo is OK. Some factory ammo can be irregular, too.
Old July 4, 2019, 06:11 AM   #52
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Just be sure to check SEVERAL rounds out of several boxes before you become sure that the ammo is OK. Some factory ammo can be irregular, too.
Good point. I'll grab a fist-full and try them all.
Old July 4, 2019, 09:03 AM   #53
wild cat mccane

a good point too.
Old July 5, 2019, 01:30 AM   #54
JohnKSa
Staff

Have to say that I'm not a fan of S&B ammo. At least in 9mm--that's all I've tried.

In one of my pistols (non-CZ) I consistently get 2-3 failures to go into battery out of every 50 round box. As if the rounds are slightly oversize and won't fully chamber. They feed fine, the slide just won't close all the way.

This same pistol reliably feeds and fires the Winchester Forged steel cased ammunition that seems to have a really poor reputation for quality. In fact, it has no problems with any ammo I can ever recall feeding it except for S&B.

Another pistol I owned some years ago (same brand and model as the one I'm talking about above--and also obviously not a CZ) had a similar issue with S&B and would fail to go fully into battery maybe 3 times out of a 15 round magazine.
Old July 5, 2019, 04:39 AM   #55
Pond, James Pond

Here's a picture of a failure to feed back from January. This is what I see with what now seems to be the same mag.

A very small rearward draw of the slide and the whole round flips up in to the chamber and goes into battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rD6bngO3RqKYV2qpoJ+tPA_thumb_218d.jpg (151.8 KB, 88 views)
Old July 6, 2019, 12:54 AM   #56
Ignition Override

Mr. Pond: If you decide to sell it, can you easily acquire an affordable CZ 'PCR'? I hated to read about those issues, but the SP-O1 seems to be the only CZ handgun I've read about with numerous problems (some had to replace different springs in new guns).

My PCR was bought with about 80-120 total rds. in it, and has been 100% reliable. As good as my 1994 Sig P228 and .380 Russian Makarov.

A very small fraction of the CZ ammo has been Russian steel-cased, the rest has been the lowest-cost, US-made 115 grain brass-cased, i.e. Rem., Win, Blazer, Federal etc.

A chunk of almost every ammo box has been kept in a labeled, small plastic bag-these 24 pieces = approx. 1200 rds. used since I bought it.
The mags are MecGar.

Last edited by Ignition Override; July 7, 2019 at 12:22 AM.