The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 17, 2001, 10:40 PM   #1
Roadrunner

Northern Virginia TFL Shotgun Shoot at the Bull Run Shooting Center

Sorry guys for not checking in sooner, been preoccupied with our hearing at DEA. I've been itching to shoot, especially since I just picked up a Remmington 700 PSS .308 recently.

Is a Saturday shoot, late morning or early afternoon, convenient for everyone? With the hearing phase over, my weekends are pretty free.

Weather permitting, which of the following Saturdays works?

August 25
Sept 8

The weekends can get busy with everyone trying to get in a many trap, skeet, and sporting clay rounds in during the day. An alternate would be for a weekday evening shoot.

Depending on everyones schedules, we could shoot after work. I've got an old schedule which lists the weekday hours as 4-9:30pm. I might be in the area of the Bull Run Shooting Center tomorrow. If so, I'll get the current hours and prices for shotgun rentals and ammo.

This link is an "unofficial" link with several photos of the shooting center:
Bull Run Shooting Center
Old August 18, 2001, 12:27 AM   #2
David Park

Hi, I'm busy on Sep. 8, but I'm free in August. Sounds good so far.
Old August 18, 2001, 12:30 AM   #3
Jamie Young

I would go for August 25th. The other is too close to Labor Day and I think I have a few picnics to go to. If you choose the 25th count me in
Old August 19, 2001, 03:54 PM   #4
MBG

I'm in PA for the weekend of the 25th, and the rest of my time is pretty much booked until late September. I might have to miss out on this one.

Marty
Old August 19, 2001, 07:25 PM   #5
ljyang

I'd be in for a morning shoot on the 25th, I've got a picnic at 2pm. the 8th is out for me, finally have my MSF course that weekend.
Old August 20, 2001, 09:35 PM   #6
David Park

I picked up a Hunter Education flyer today and noticed there's going to be a class at Bull Run on the 25th. However, they're not shooting until the 26th. I had wanted to take the class, but I see classes are going to be offered at Fort Belvoir (practially my back yard) later on, so no loss.

It's looking like late morning this Saturday is the best time. Is that final?
Old August 20, 2001, 10:33 PM   #7
Roadrunner

Lets shoot this Saturday, Aug. 25 at 12 noon.
Having only one vehicle between my wife and I, I need to drop her off at Tysons Corner to work before heading to Bull Run.

Bull Run Shooting Center
Bull Run Regional Park
7700 Bull Run Drive
Centreville, VA 20121
703-830-2344

I hope these MapQuest links work:

Road Map to Shooting Center

Aerial Photo of Bull Run Shooting Center

Directions:

1. Route 66 West towards Front Royal
2. Take Exit 52 (I believe that's the correct exit number) to Lee Hwy (stay in Right Lane).
3. Turn Right at the traffic light.
4. Continue on Route 29 (Lee Hwy) for a few miles.
5. Turn Left on Bull Run Post Road.
6. Follow Bull Run Post Road into Bull Run Drive (You'll see a sign for Bull Run Park).
7. You'll take Bull Run Drive over Route 66.
8. Just as you pass over Route 66, take the Left turn at the sign for the Bull Run Shooting Center.
9. That road runs along Route 66, then take the first Right which leads up to the shooting center.
10. We'll meet on the front porch of the club house.

Shotguns rent for about $5.00 (I'd suggest renting an over/under shotgun, they're easy to use.)
Boxes of shells run about $4.00
Round of Trap/Skeet/Sporting Clays/5 Stand $3.50 to $5.00

Hope this works for everyone.
Old August 21, 2001, 12:38 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'll see you Saturday!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 23, 2001, 08:46 AM   #9
ljyang

see you guys on saturday. btw, what games do you play? I've only shot the wobble trap game. having just started, that seemed like the easiest to shoot. what does everyone else do? I'd like to try my hand at normal trap and maybe skeet if someone wants to give me pointers my first time on the stand. I figure my shotgun skills are still too poor to really enjoy 5stand or sporting clays, but I'm in for any game this saturday, I just may need some pointers along the way.
Old August 23, 2001, 10:34 AM   #10
Roadrunner

I thought maybe we should start off with wobble trap. It seems to be the easiest and a real confidence booster. Then decide which to shoot next: trap, skeet, 5-stand, and/or sporting clays.

Looks like it should be a nice day to be outdoors.
Old August 23, 2001, 12:16 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

SPORTING CLAYS! SPORTING CLAYS!

Old August 23, 2001, 03:46 PM   #12
Mal H
Staff

I hope to be there with you all on Saturday.

Roadrunner - I sure need all the confidence builders we can muster up. As I said before, shotgunning of any type is one shooting sport I haven't tried very much. So at best, I am a rank novice in that field. Please be gentle.

Two questions:
Can I bring my own shells or should I plan to buy them there? I have some Fed 7 1/2 general purpose shells. Are they ok for what we are planning?

Has someone definitely check with the center to be sure it is open to the public on Saturday? David mentioned that there is a class going on and it would be shame for all of us to get there to just be turned away. We couldn't convene at the NRA range 'cause it's closed this month.
Old August 23, 2001, 04:22 PM   #13
K80Geoff

Wall Mart Federal Shells

Mal those Federal Shells are just great for sporting clays. I use them in my guns and they work just as good as premium Remington and Winchester shells. Judging from the trash barrels at the last few sporting clays courses I have shot they are very popular.

I have never been to a clays course that requires you to buy shells there, if they did they would not be in business very long as diehard shotgunners just would not shoot there. They will always charge more for their shells anyway, so buy more Wall Mart value packs.

I wish I could go, would love to be there but I have a date with a paint brush this Saturday If it is successfull please hold another shoot so I can find a way to come.

Geoff Ross
Old August 23, 2001, 04:28 PM   #14
Mal H
Staff

Thanks Geoff, that's what they are - the Wal-Mart 100 for $15 deal. I couldn't pass up buying a few cases of them at that price.

Too bad you can't join us, but that would be a fairly long ride for you. And to give up painting for some shooting? Why would you even consider that?
Old August 23, 2001, 04:40 PM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

Shells are $5.25 a box, we don't need reservations, one friend of mine is coming, and a coworker MAY be coming.

Old August 23, 2001, 06:21 PM   #16
Jamie Young

Well Fellas it looks like I'm going to be coming down there to join you this weekend I'm going to Rent a gun and probable buy everything else down there. I only have access to a 16ga and finding ammo for it is a real pain. I got a little training from the Sporting Clays Master K80Geoff a few weeks ago and I'm ready to take you all on Actually I'm glad I'm not the only Novice here but I'm ready for some fun.

Seeya on the front porch of the Club House. I'll be the tall skinny guy with the Molon Labe Hat on
Old August 23, 2001, 06:22 PM   #17
ljyang

so how many shells should I plan on bringing? I know 25 are used for every round of trap/skeet but what about in 5 stand or sporting clays? I've only got a couple boxes left and I'll be stopping by walmart or galyans on my way out saturday morning. just trying to figure out how much I should buy/bring.

and can someone let me know what sporting clays are like? I've heard it's like golf with a gun, so I'm guessing it's a walking course? how long does a full round usually take to shoot? how many 'holes' are on the course?

and I'm a complete novice to this (well, I've shot about 5 rounds of wobble.) so I'll need some instruction as we go...

see yall on saturday.
Old August 23, 2001, 09:41 PM   #18
Roadrunner

You'll need a box of 25 shells for 5-Stand. The same for regular trap and skeet. If we can shoot a round of sporting clays, I think we might use more then 1 box.

I always carry extra boxes of shells in my range bag. If anyone runs low, I can lend a few boxes.

I'll call tomorrow afternoon and confirm there are no special events happening that would prevent us from shooting on Saturday.
Old August 24, 2001, 03:26 PM   #19
Roadrunner

I just call and confirmed there are no special events being held tomorrow at Bull Run, the range is open. See you all tomorrow.
Old August 25, 2001, 12:22 AM   #20
K80Geoff

Shell Requirements

Trap = 1 box of shells (25)
Skeet = 1 box of shells (25)

Sporting Clays usually consists of 100 birds, but it is advisable to bring at least 5 boxes (125) of ammo as you often have to shoot pairs over when the second bird breaks.

5 Stand requires 30 shells per round of 25 as the first target at each stand is a two shot single, which means you are allowed "Full use of the gun" and can take two shots at the bird. The sequence is usually a single, a report pair and a true pair at each stand.

Always have a few extra shells with you even for skeet and Trap, you never know when you might have to take a shot over.

In skeet if you shoot at the first bird of a pair and a piece of the bird breaks the second bird, or your shot takes out both birds, you will have to shoot the pair over, but only the second shot counts.

In Sporting Clays if you are shooting a report pair and the second bird comes out broken, you shoot the pair over. The first bird is established but you must shoot at both birds of the second pair to score the second bird.

If you are shooting a true pair or following pair and one of the birds is broken the pair must be taken over. Nothing is established.

Geoff Ross
Old August 25, 2001, 11:08 AM   #21
Jamie Young

I guess this time I'm the NO SHOW!!! I could have gotten there in an hour and forty minutes but it took me an hour and 40min to get to Wilmington Delaware Everyone is going to the Shore and 95 South was packed. I turned aroudn once I realized I might not get there until after 3pm at the rate I was going. Whoa is Me
Old August 25, 2001, 04:27 PM   #22
Mike Irwin
Staff

Soda,

We were wondering where you were. I left a note for you at the front desk just in case you got there late. Don't worry, we'll be doing this again.

There were 7 of us there.

We shot Wobble Trap, or 5-stand I guess it is also called. What a neat take on the game.

I have to blow my own horn and say I had a FANTASTIC day.

I haven't picked up a shotgun for clay sports in close to 8 years.

Well, I rented a Browning Gold Sporting Clays semi-auto, and I could hardly miss.

My first round was a 23 of 25, my second round was also 23 of 25, and my third round the recoil was starting to get to me, so it was only 20 of 25.

The only thing I can really attribute it to was the fact that the Browning fit me like a glove -- it came to my shoulder naturally, pointed like a dream, and hits were easy with it.

I didn't get a lot of really solid "smoker" hits, but I was hitting consistently.

I'm sitting here giving serious thought to trying to find one of these guns.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; August 25, 2001 at 10:01 PM.
Old August 25, 2001, 06:03 PM   #23
Jamie Young

I feel bad now I'm usually the one ridiculing people for backing out and not showing up Well I am long over due for a new shotgun. I'll have to get one before the next gathering.
Old August 25, 2001, 07:45 PM   #24
Mal H
Staff

We all had a great time. And like Mike mentioned we practically decided to make it a regular event, maybe every other month or so. Many thanks to Roadrunner for putting this one together.

We looked for you SodaPop and figured you would find us if you got there a little late. We'll let you know when the next one will be so you can join us.

I'll tell ya what - Mike was smokin'! No practice at all, rental shotgun, brand new to the Wobble Trap sport (as were all but one of us I think) and what does he do? 66 out of 75 that's what. I asked him if he was going to make an offer on that gun when he returned it.

When I got home I told my wife, "You know this trap stuff ain't so hard, heck I had a no-hitter going for a while but then one of those dang clay pigeons got in the way and ruined it!"
Old August 25, 2001, 08:16 PM   #25
Jamie Young

Ok so if its every other month. August in VA, Sept in PA, October in VA, December in PA, January in............. Its too cold in January