The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 13, 2011, 12:48 AM   #1
Doublea A

Apparently The Message Is Still Not Clear For Some.

Hello fellow enthusiasts, the gun grabbers and the sheeps will love to use articles like this to perpetuate their anti-gun rights ideologies. This article shows multiple negligence and carelessness. My goal is for us to be able to identify and discussion them so we can keep the education going. so please keep the comments flowing.

Gun in carry-on accidentally fired
A police officer accidentally fired a gun found in a passenger's bag Sunday at Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

(CNN) -- Some travelers sleepily making their way through airport security in Atlanta Sunday morning got a startling wake-up. A gun detected in a carry-on at a checkpoint at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport was accidentally fired by an investigating officer around 9 a.m. Sunday, according to a police report.

Transportation Security Administration screeners reported the gun to Atlanta police officer N.J. Phillips, the officer wrote in an Atlanta Police Department report. The gun's owner was telling Phillips how to clear the loaded .22 Magnum revolver when it was accidentally discharged, Phillips reported. "The weapon was pointed down towards the screening table."

"I was grazed by a pellet fragment on the left side of my face," Phillips wrote. "However, there were no visible injuries."

The gun's owner, Richard Popkin of Kathleen, Georgia, told Phillips he didn't realize the gun was still in his bag, according to the police report. Popkin said he originally intended to pack the bag in his checked luggage, but he removed it because he was concerned about the weight limit for his checked bag, according to the report.

Popkin was arrested and charged with carrying a deadly weapon at a public gathering, according to the police report.

The TSA followed standard procedure in alerting local law enforcement, the agency said in a statement. "TSA also has opened an investigation and has the authority to level a civil penalty when a firearm is brought to a checkpoint."

TSA officers have discovered more than 1,100 firearms at checkpoints this year, the agency said. Firearms are not allowed in carry-on bags or at security checkpoints.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/12/travel...iref=obnetwork
Old December 13, 2011, 01:03 AM   #2
ClayInTx

Popkin intentionally removed the gun from his checked-luggage bag and intentionally put it into his carry-on bag??????

And then said he didn’t realize the gun was in the carry-on????

He’s either very bad at being a liar or very good at being stupid.
Old December 13, 2011, 03:24 AM   #3
BlackFeather

I fly maybe two or three times a year, not much, but I still see people hastily move their luggage around. I've had to do so myself, and while I rarely travel with a firearm, there are always a few knives in my checked baggage. I could see someone not remembering what bag has what if they packed it all the night before, but the gun wasn't even in the right travel case. They make it sound like he had no intention of even packing the gun. Seems odd to me.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old December 13, 2011, 07:15 AM   #4
Jamie B

The education is simple: don't be stupid enough to take your baby gun to the airport.
Old December 13, 2011, 08:04 AM   #5
Skadoosh

To me, what stood out even more than the gun being in the bagage was the fact that the investigating officer obviously did not safely handle the firearm and negligently discharged the weapon...further endangering the public.
Old December 13, 2011, 08:37 AM   #6
Deja vu

Quote:
To me, what stood out even more than the gun being in the bagage was the fact that the investigating officer obviously did not safely handle the firearm and negligently discharged the weapon...further endangering the public.
that was my first thought too

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old December 13, 2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Hello fellow enthusiasts, the gun grabbers and the sheeps will love to use articles like this to perpetuate their anti-gun rights ideologies.
I am not sure why people feel a need to say things like this. It seems amazing that this will get said so as to further demonize the anti-gun people because they are so evil in pointing out this stupid and reckless act, but then the person saying it will then do the exact same thing in pointing out the stupid and reckless act.

Quote:
This article shows multiple negligence and carelessness.
So by your statements you have given anti-gunners a voice here without then even having posted themselves.

Of course, can you really blame them for using such materials we gun owners so blatantly do stupid stuff? If the anti-gunners aren't all over this guy, we should be. Such behaviors by the passenger and by the cop are unacceptable.

Quote:
My goal is for us to be able to identify and discussion them so we can keep the education going. so please keep the comments flowing.
I didn't exactly follow what your stated goal was, but don't you think you could achieve your goals without presenting the arguments of anti-gunners first? For crying out loud, you gave them top billing, even, by mentioning them first.

The traveller was grossly irresponsible and the officer screwed up. What are the lessons here? First and foremost, don't take firearms, loaded or otherwise, through airport security checkpoints. If you are not bright enough to understand that you packed it yourself, then you deserve to get busted for it.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:15 AM   #8
dannyb

I guess that the main lesson here is to pack before you leave and don't second guess yourself. I've seen people at airports drop bags containing jewelry worth a fair amount more (judging by what went rolling around when the bag broke) than extra weight fee that the airlines will charge them. I hate paying fees to the airlines as well, but I try to keep things in perspective.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:23 AM   #9
dwatts47

This past summer I traveled the Nazi state of Kalifornia, with a checked handgun (Kahr arms K9 for mag capacity legality).

Not one of the TSA agents that I spoke with so much as raised an eyebrow when I said I needed to declare a firearm. Nor did they get "jumpy" when they asked my to open the locked case and show that they weapon was clear and not being transported while loaded.

This is the PROPER way to do things.

I'm sorry but if you own firearms and are either too mentally slow or just lack the attention span to realize that you have a loaded one IN AN AIRPORT, then I feel as though you deserve whatever you get.
Old December 13, 2011, 11:06 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, this one is a duplicate of a discussion that is ongoing in General Discussion.

To my way of thinking, this isn't a tactics & training discussion, either, so closed.

Oh, and Mr. dwatts?

Maybe you ought to learn a little bit about what Nazi Germany was all about, and their approach to running things, before you start tossing out phrases such as that.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread