The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2009, 09:35 AM   #1
Flapjack23

Intro and Questions (long)

Please allow myself to introduce...myself.

I'm fairly new to reloading. Only last year or so, I've reloaded so far 10mm. .357, and 45/70. I intend to reload .300 WM, .375 H&H (no real use for this one, but got a very good deal on the gun), .480 Ruger, .270 Win, .40 S&W. I got a Lee turret press kit, misc odds and ends. I believe I am competent and pay enough attention to reload safely. I've been using the press as a single station press, but will probably use the auto-index function to mass produce .40, 10mm, maybe .223 for plinking.

My procedure so far (for .300 and .375) is take factory new brass, resize, trim, deburr case mouth, tumble to remove lube (and I like shiny brass), prime, powder, seat bullet, crimp.

I tend to be somewhat anal and weigh every powder charge. Probably wont do that on bulk .40, 10mm, just every 10th or so. I only have the Lee balance beam measure that came with the kit. Does it provide enough accuracy or would I be better off with a good (expensive) balance beam scale or electronic one?

How about my procedure so far. Any problems with tumbling brass as last step to case prep?

Seat bullet and crimp should be 2 steps, right?

I'm aiming for consistency and accuracy as opposed to velocity in my reloading.

Thanks for any input, I hope to learn a lot and hopefully pass along something also.

Andy

OK its not as long as I thought it would be.
Old January 13, 2009, 09:58 AM   #2
DBotkin

The only potential issue I see with tumbling after case prep is I tend to see a lot of flash holes plugged with media. You'll want to put them in a loading block head-up and check or poke each one to make sure they're clear. I use carbide dies for pistol calibers so I don't have to lube them after cleaning. I have also tumbled loaded rounds in corn cob media for half an hour or so to remove the lube, if I have a lot -- otherwise I'll just wipe them down with a rag. I usually don't have enough lube on the cases to really worry about it.

You can seat & crimp in one step, but I prefer to do it as 2 for my .40 ammo (taper crimps with a Lee Factory Crimp die). I seat & roll crimp in one operation for .357 & .44.

As for the rest... I only wish I had a progressive for my pistol calibers!! I suspect I'll be wishing I had it for the .223 as well, but for the foreseeable future it will be used more for varminting than plinking so I weigh them all.

Sounds like you're on the right track to me.
Old January 13, 2009, 12:43 PM   #3
kyle663

get a scale

i would invest in a digital sale too. i have the lee scale from my kit and got a rcbs digital scale at a gun show.
Old January 13, 2009, 01:24 PM   #4
hban373

30-06, 6mm and 7mm rounds

I'm not an avid reloader My father in law was. Going through his ammo inventory after he passed I noticed 30-06,6mm and 7mm basically having the same case. Several of the 30-06 marked cases had differet diameter bullet heads. Can the 30-06 fire different diameter bullets if the case is the same diameter and length? Same question for the 6mm and 7mm. I know you can fire 38s in 357 but not 357 in 38s. I look in his Hornsby reloading manuel volume one and for 30-06 it show different diameter bullets

please advise,

Bruce
Old January 13, 2009, 03:48 PM   #5
The Lovemaster

Bruce, I don't completely understand your questions, but be aware there are five or six cartridges that descended from the 30-06, so it's possible he resized the 30-06 cases into 25-06 or 270, for example.

There is a vast difference between a 6mm and 7mm case, and a noticable difference between 6mm and 30-06 as well as 30-06 and 7mm.

A 30-06 WILL ONLY fire a .308" diameter bullet. Sounds like you need to get a caliper, measure your cases and compare them to the dimensioned drawings in your loading manuals.

One needs to be absolutely sure the proper cartridge is used in the proper caliber, otherwise bad things happen, like guns blowing up.