The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2009, 09:37 PM   #1
ir3e971

cast bullet recommendations for 9mm

I just purchased a new 9mm (S&W 5906) and have shot about 500 rounds this weekend. At this rate of consumption I guess I need to begin reloading 9mm again.

I see 9mm cast for sale at a number of sites. Does anyone have any recommendation for:

1. a good place to purchase
2. a hardness rating that will minimize leading
3. powders (again recommendations that will minimize leading)
4. any hints or tips for shooting cast out of a semi auto.

I have been primarily using unique and bullseye for FMJ in a 45, as well as cast for revolvers (44 and 38 spec). I have never loaded cast for a semi-auto.

Thanks in advance.
Old January 12, 2009, 10:23 PM   #2
ArizonaRick

9MM Cast Load Advise

I have had good luck with both cast, plated, and jacketed loads in my 9's. For cast, stick with 124 grain loads, keep them under 1100 FPS if possible. Unique seems to be the most accurate powder for me accross the board. I have tried Bullseye, HS6, Power Pistol, WAP, Blue Dot, Universal Clays, and a few others, and Unique is alway is the most accurate. Local casters are alway going to be the lowest cost due to freight. I live in Arizona and I buy the ATK bulk 9mm 124 or 115 grain bullets for $79 per 1000 (M) from Dillon. Also try Berrys Bullets (web direct) for 115- 124 gr plated bullets (very accurate, but keep them under 1100fps). Keep your loads under max and you will likely enjoy the added accuracy and "softer shooting enjoyment" that you can create by reloading. Good Luck!
Old January 13, 2009, 01:31 AM   #3
CBP

I've been using Dardas bullets. http://www.dardascastbullets.com/ I've tried both the 124 and 125 grain bullets and tested them for accuracy. The combination I settled on was 5.2 grains of Unique using the 124 gr. bullet with an OAL of 1.150. Dardas makes a good quality bullet. He posts on this forum sometimes. There are other decent bullet casters that you can choose from. I just like his quality, service and price. If you follow the link to his website, you can ask him about the hardness of his bullets. I haven't had problems with leading with the load described. I'm shooting a S&W M&P.

I've also tried Win 231, but I worked up to the maximum loads and wasn't satisfied with that powder. The brass didn't eject very far out of my gun and usually hit me in the head. Accuracy was definitely better with the Unique. Also tried AA#5, but it was smokey and lacked the accuracy as compared to the Unique.

I reload using a Lee turret press. The drawback with Unique is that I have to use the disks. Unique doesn't meter consistently using the micro-charge bar. It varies quite a bit for me. The disk opening limit me to specific charge weights and larger "steps" in weight than I prefer. The good news is that the 0.66 disk opening throws a consistent 5.2 gr. of Unique. I use this weight for both the 9mm and .45 ACP loads.
Old January 13, 2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Ozzieman

I use PENN bullets in 5 different calibers and have had very good luck. They make two different alloys but I haven’t need the harder one in any thing up to mid 44 mag loads and the leading has not been a problem.
I recently purchased several thousand bullets and weighed 10 from 3 different boxes and although the weight was a little low (2 GR) all ten were within 0.2 grain of each other.
I have loaded several thousand of his bullets over the pase several years and they are very uniform in shape having no lead flowing lines and the lube ring is full and has no gaps.
He makes a superior bullet and you will be happy with his product.
He is also very helpful and knows a lot about reloading. I have talked to him on the phone and he gave me a lot of help on pushing 44 cal bullets out of a rifle.
[email protected]

http://www.pennbullets.com/9mm/9mm-caliber.html
Old January 13, 2009, 07:56 PM   #5
floydster

Dardas cast, none better,oh that reminds me, I'm getting low!!
Have to order again soon!
Floydster
Old January 13, 2009, 08:53 PM   #6
ir3e971

Thanks all of you for taking the time to type out a detailed response. Guess tomorrow I will break out the debit card and place an order for some lead bullets! I will let everyone know how it goes, and post if I have questions.

V/R

Bob
Old January 13, 2009, 10:38 PM   #7
tbtrout

I use the Dardas cast 125 gr bullets with win 231 in a CZ 75b. It is a great combo for me.
Old January 13, 2009, 10:53 PM   #8
funnelcake

I use Missouri Bullet Company for my cast bullets. Been loading the "Small Ball" 125gr. LRN is both 9mm & .38 Super. Using HP-38 for 9mm & HS-6 for the Super. Both work well.

Funnel
Old January 14, 2009, 01:05 AM   #9
Crosshair

I cast my own and use the Lee 105 grain SWC mold. Doesn't use much lead and shoots great.
Old January 15, 2009, 12:09 AM   #10
bluetopper

147gr cast bullets perform great in front of 3.3gr of American Select powder.