The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 15, 2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

I got out shooting today

It was fun.
Old April 15, 2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

There is a down side....

It is the residue of bore lube, soot and gunpowder that gets all over the steering when of my truck.
Old April 15, 2012, 05:30 PM   #3
zullo74

The "steering when" ?
Old April 15, 2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

Sure...."steering when"!

Alternate spelling for "steering wheel" WHEN I have consumed two Genius Stouts.
Old April 15, 2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I got out shooting today

Doc: Just what did you take along with you to shoot. If you don't mind sharing that information Sir?_
Old April 15, 2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Took along

...A stainless ROA and a blued ROA, a Third Gen 1861 Navy and a Pietta 1860 Colt.

I have three Colt second and third gen pistols and I am disappointed in the performance of each. They are all very tight and after about two cylinders they get almost unmanagable. Hard to take apart for loading. Hard to put back together after loading. I am happy to have these pistols but I am about ready to turn them back into wall hangers.

The Pietta gave me a little trouble too. Three misfires in the first six shots. Successful discharge the second time around with no corrective action taken. Just recocked it and fired successfully. Number ten caps are a little tight but tens work on every other Pietta I own.

I am a better shot with the Blued ROA than the Stainless ROA. Better sight picture perhaps. The Stainless has a blued sight like the blued pistol but the bluing is begining to fade or wear onthe stainless. I did the magic marker trick today but did not shoot enough to know if it helped
Old April 15, 2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Beagle333

A little soot and lube on the wheel? No prob. . .

Sounds like a fun day though! Any day shooting is a fun day. Even when I break parts, I still wouldn't wish that day hadn't happened, because somewhere in it, there was shooting.
Old April 15, 2012, 11:16 PM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I got out shooting today

Hey Doc Hoy. I don't want to take over your thread here or steal its thunder. But I have a question perhaps you can answer for me. I see you and many others here shoot those 1850-1860s weapons all the time. My Question: do you tune up the triggers on your pistols for an easier pull and let off? I've always wondered if these older styled pistols are capable of that type of work being done on them? Thank you Sir,_
Old April 16, 2012, 04:35 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

I have worked on one trigger...

...I was replacing a trigger in a Remington and decided to fiddle with the pull.

I bought myself a scale and messed with it. I can't remember specifically but I think I recall getting it down to about two pounds.

I decided that for my shooting it is not worth the effort.

This is another instance of the negative impacts of shooting alone (as I always do). If I shot with others who really know what they are doing I might be able to learn just how much trigger pull can effect the outcome.

I have handled pistols in which the owner worked on the trigger and I did not like them. I handled an 1860 Uberti in which the trigger pull was so light you almost didn't have to touch it. It was at a gun show and while looking at it the hammer fell becaused I just brushed the trigger as I was putting my finger in the trigger guard. It was very embarrassing.

On the other hand I still have an 1851 pattern Sheriff with a good trigger pull and when I was still shooting it the darned thing was a great shooter.
Old April 16, 2012, 07:07 AM   #10
straight-shooter

Good to hear you got out to shoot the smoke wagons. My last time out was the first time in too long. When my TOP loading stand shows up i'll be going out again.

I too found the Pietta 1858 and the Uberti 1860 being hard to manage after a few cylinders so I spritzed them with some Windex/Ammonia and wiped and they were back in action. Kind of a pain but it works. Using the TOP loading stand, the cylinder is out of the gun anyhow so no big deal in the future.

Ah yes, the ol' dirty hands on the wheel and the smell of rotten eggs in the car on the way home. "Honey, can you wash my jacket" before i go back to work tomorrow.... Haha.
Old April 16, 2012, 07:24 AM   #11
capper

Hey Straight-Shooter,where does one get a TOP loading stand? I need to get a stand.
Old April 16, 2012, 09:31 AM   #12
straight-shooter

You can find the cylinder loader at www.biglube.com and in the menu on the left hand side look under "Bullet Extras".
Old April 16, 2012, 10:17 AM   #13
Ultravox

Hey Doc, I like to toss some wet-wipes in my shooting bag.

Keeps the powder residue off my steering when.
Old April 16, 2012, 06:30 PM   #14
Beagle333

I got out today too.

I was testing the difference in my beeswax/olive oil vs. my beeswax/crisco lubes and also the difference in Pyrodex and 777 with each lube, and also tried turning the sprue different ways. 60 balls later I find out:

Results:

1.) Pistols still got dirty.
2.) Looks like the problem is me.

Easily summed up in one pic.

7yds, 1 hand

But I had a whale of a time!!
Old April 17, 2012, 01:43 AM   #15
Bill Akins

Doc is a genius when it comes to working on BP revolvers and some of the stuff I've seen Doc do. So when Doc said...."Steering when" and "When I have consumed two Genius Stouts".

Well I'll drink to Doc's health and hoist my Guinness stout right along with him. Lol.

Steering? We don't need no stinking steering! We steer when we finish our genius stout!

Or if one's taste ran to very smart but corpulent ladies, it could be "When we finish with our stout genius".

Grin, just playing Doc.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; April 17, 2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old April 17, 2012, 02:11 AM   #16
Doc Hoy

Bill

Old April 17, 2012, 02:25 AM   #17
Bill Akins

Just gotta be careful Doc, when you've finished the last couple of your Guinness stouts and all you have left is Schlitz, and you yell up to the house for wifey to bring you one. "Bring you a what?" Lol.

But seriously, glad you got to get out and have fun shooting. I just finished installing a new case hardened hammer and stainless (like) cylinders on my 1860's and need to get time to get out and shoot too.

Give this a try just for giggles and grins Doc. Try spraying your arbor with teflon lube rather than using some wet kind of lube. The teflon sprays on with a wet carrier, but quickly dries to a dry teflon residue that won't attract spent BP residue like a wet lube will. See if that helps with your cylinders binding.

Also since I use cornmeal over the powder in my chambers as a fire break instead of using grease over the ball, I find that it not only keeps my gun completely grease free, but also doesn't attract spent BP residue that ordinarily will mix with grease to create a gummy mess that gums up the arbor and barrel to cylinder gap area. So try using cornmeal over the powder charge under the balls instead of grease over the balls and try using teflon spray on the arbor instead of grease too. See what happens and let me know how that works for you.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; April 17, 2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old April 17, 2012, 03:00 AM   #18
Doc Hoy

All good info, Bill

...Except for getting my better half to bring the beer.

She and I have an greement. I don't ask her to bring me beer and she doesn't ask me to go to church.
Old April 17, 2012, 08:23 AM   #19
zullo74

That's probably because she knows you can't drink beer in church!
Old April 17, 2012, 09:37 AM   #20
pgdion

Quote:
I got out shooting today
So you're saying it was a good day then!
Old April 17, 2012, 12:57 PM   #21
Doc Hoy

Everyday

is a good day when you can scare some frogs with an ROA.
Old April 17, 2012, 02:26 PM   #22
Lee McNelly

takes along

2 beers
Old April 17, 2012, 03:11 PM   #23
Hardcase

I missed out on the good weather last weekend while I was up in northern Idaho. Now it's raining again. You can call me a fair weather shooter (it's OK)...I just don't like to get rained on!

I am so itching to get out. The last time I went, I brought the wrong sized balls and had to shoot new-fangled guns.

Maybe this weekend...
Old April 17, 2012, 03:46 PM   #24
Hawg

Quote:
try using cornmeal over the powder charge under the balls instead of grease over the balls
If I use filler I don't have room for the ball.
Old April 17, 2012, 06:23 PM   #25
Bill Akins

Quote:
Hawg Haggen wrote:
"If I use filler I don't have room for the ball ."
Then you gotta reduce the powder charge a bit to make room Hawg.
But you know that. That's the only drawback of using filler over the powder vs grease over the ball....that you can't use maximum powder charges with filler. But since I always only shoot 22 to a rare max of 25 (at the very most) BP grains in my .44 brass frame, nickel plated 1860's, I always have plenty of room for filler. Nothing I ever shot ever complained that I wasn't using a heavy enough maximum powder charge Most of the time shooting paper, tin cans or pine cones anyway. Saves on my powder too.