The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2009, 01:08 AM   #1
isanchez2008

Can you crimp primers in?

I have often heard people talking about removing crimped in primers from military brass. What I am wondering is, can the average reloader crimp primers in himself? Would it be worth it?
Old January 14, 2009, 02:46 AM   #2
Shoney

There are primer crimping tools out there in the used market. None in current production that I know of. The Class 3 shooters used them to crimp for full auto weapons.

Sometimes full auto military arms stretch in the bolt/chamber area due to heat. Wear can also be a factor. Under battle conditions this is a definite possibility. The headspace can increase to the point that a primer could pop out of it's pocket of uncrimped ammo. A loose primer could foul up the mechanism, and the blockage wouldn't allow the weapon to go into battery.

It's not likely that a stoppage would be life threatening to sports shooters. However, during combat you don't want this to happen.

So if you are planning to go into battle soon with your handloads, you better spend a lot of time on Google tracking one down.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 14, 2009, 02:29 PM   #3
LHB1

Why would you want to crimp primers? Why deliberately go to the extra effort to create problems that don't exist? NO. NO. NO.
Old January 14, 2009, 05:15 PM   #4
isanchez2008

Lol. No I won't be in any battles anytime Shoney. Just kinda wondered why the imbalance of info.
Old January 14, 2009, 09:44 PM   #5
swmike

Primers are crimped in to keep them in place under EXTREME conditions. Military loads are often at or above the max for a sport shooter and are also designed to be used in Full Auto (capable) weapons.

Unless you expect those conditions don't worry about crimping. For those of us that use thousands of ex-military ammo cases for reloading the crimp is a bit of a pain. Once it is removed by swaging I definitely don't want it back.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old January 14, 2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Inspector3711

I need an ex motherinlaw crimper....