The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 3, 2001, 12:53 AM   #1
AlbertaCanada

Fixed sights- How much force is needed to move them?

I recently aquired a new 1911 pistol that shoots quite a bit to the right (and High). I tried to tap the rear sight to get it to move, thus bringing the alignment of the sights into reasonable spec., but I could not get it to budge. Any secrets or do you really have to wail on the rear sight?
Thanx...
Old September 3, 2001, 09:16 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

AC, some of these are just super tight and require a "bigger hammer" to move them. Some are staked in place for lack of a better term. Usually on these you'll see some evidence of it. A line or dimple on the slide at the front center of the sight. Use a brass drift punch and after you move the sight you may need to restake it. George
Old September 4, 2001, 07:48 PM   #3
faiello5

If this gun is a Kimber, you will have a very, very difficult time drifting the rear sight. They are extremely tight.

You might want to put a piece of leather between the sight and the punch as I have found that even a brass punch can mar some sights. Good luck!

Regards,
Frank

Old September 5, 2001, 01:00 PM   #4
James K
Staff

There is a tool made for the purpose, but probably not worth buying for a one-time effort. Brownells has them.

Make sure the slide is clamped firmly in a vise, and set the punch carefully before striking it with the hammer.

Remember, move the rear sight the direction you want the bullet strike to move. If the gun shoots to the right, move the sight to the left.

Jim
Old September 9, 2001, 11:41 AM   #5
Waterdog

I would suggest taking some measurements with your caliper before whacking away.

Waterdog