The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 10, 2001, 08:40 PM   #1
Shin-Tao

1300 scary

I was hunting for AR uppers, and had money set aside for the purchase.

Then, quite suddenly, a new 1300 Defender Scary Special came my way. $175, unfired, decked out with all the psuedo tactical stuff I need to be the bad guy on a terrible action movie. PG, sans stock, tac light, shell carrier, everything. Even had a heat shield on the barrel, but I took that off.

Now this isn't the most useful rig, but I have a knack for using these questionable things in an effective manner. The trick is to make sure the target is in the room with you. And slow.

Last edited by Shin-Tao; July 11, 2001 at 09:49 AM.
Old July 11, 2001, 04:21 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Best for phone booth firefights, like the MACs, Shin. Enjoy the toy, just remember to reach for a real shotgun when it hits the fan(G)...
Old July 11, 2001, 09:47 AM   #3
Shin-Tao

Well, I'm sure it's ideal for chasing Van Damme across a sound stage.
Old July 11, 2001, 10:40 AM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I'ld lose the pistol grip and get a Butler Creek folding stock.
Having the folding option is great for storage and getting into and out of cars etc... but when its time to throw down, you have a nice solid and sturdy stock for stability in both shooting and butt-stroking.
A pistol grip on the fore end is nasty. The Winchester's stock - uh - stock is nice and sleek. I'ld try to find the original furniture for the front.
Sans heatshield - good move.

Van Damm - is old news... Now you would have to chase Jamie Fox or Kianu Reeves.
Old July 12, 2001, 10:15 AM   #5
Shin-Tao

Van Damme IS old news, but so are the looks of this ACTION GUN.

I can't ditch the ULTIMATE TACTICAL foregrip. The ULTIMATE TACTICAL TAC LIGHT is afixed to it.

I'm already practicing kicking in balsa wood doors and jumping through sugar-glass windows. I'm working up to jumping through a low-pressure gasoline explosion, possibly while wearing a bandana...
Old July 12, 2001, 10:27 AM   #6
dick w. holliday

Rather than kicking in the doors why don't you do like we had to do in a 3gun stage a few years ago....We had to run up to a door and blow a good size hole or two or three through it with the shotgun then stick the barrel through the newly created hole and engage various poppers and plates on the other side...By the way the door had a place to put cardboard in it for each shooter to blow a hole through....Dick
Old July 12, 2001, 08:21 PM   #7
Shin-Tao

I don't know, Mr. Holliday, wouldn't it be better to kick open the door and then roll across the floor while firing at the bad-guy's henchmen? They won't hit you.
Old August 8, 2001, 02:24 PM   #8
Shin-Tao

Well, I broke down and made my shotgun a bit more sencible. I purchased and attached a new buttler creek folding stock. Admittedly, this weapon is now totally useless for chasing action movie heroes, but I can now use it for conlicts off screen.

As always, I am very pleased with the offerings from buttler creek. Thier stocks are rock solid.
Old August 8, 2001, 04:50 PM   #9
Guyon

Quote:
wouldn't it be better to kick open the door and then roll across the floor while firing at the bad-guy's henchmen?
Precisely. I was going to note that you need to be practicing your rolls. The great thing is that you can incorporate this practice into your everyday routine. Need a snack? Jump out of your chair, shout "INCOMING!", and roll to the candy machine. Need to talk to the boss? Kick in his door and execute a roll maneuver right up to his desk. When the time comes for the real thing, you'll be ready.
Old August 8, 2001, 06:14 PM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Great thread!

Shin,check out gun shows for one of those El Cheapo drum mags for AK clones, maybe you can rig up one for cosmetic purposes only(G)...
Old August 8, 2001, 07:31 PM   #11
Guyon

That's a good idea Dave. I think Superglue would hold it. If a thug thinks you have 75 rounds of 12 gauge ready to rumble, chances are he'll leave you alone.

Does Tac Star make a sidesaddle that'll hold grenades?