The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2001, 10:14 PM   #1
fulltlt

Anyone have a good (cheap) source for lead shot (#8) without
having to pay a lot for shipping?
Old April 10, 2001, 01:48 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

There is really no good deal on shot via mail as it's too heavy. Get it locally. Your best bet online is http://www.wideners.com They sell Star chilled shot for $12 per 25# sack. +shipping of course. 25# to your location would probably double your price if not triple it.
Old April 10, 2001, 01:58 PM   #3
fulltlt

I kind of figured that was the case. My son has taken up trap shooting in a league and recently bought a used MEC reloader. We bought most of the consumable supplies at the Kane County gun show this past weekend but didn't find any shot for sale. I guess they don't want to haul that heavy stuff to the show. Are there any good places in the greater Chicagoland area to buy shot in bulk?
Old April 10, 2001, 02:39 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

If your son is in a league, check with some other league members. Odds are that at least a few of them reload. Trap leagues almost always bulk order components for members. My club actually orders clays and components from the same place and trucks it in every once in awhile. Members make an order just before the club as a whole buys it's clays. I'll bet you can at least arrange free shipping if not a discount.