The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2013, 01:43 AM   #1
Snowdog

Anemic Powderpuff 9mm load for Deringer

I have a coworker who won a Double Tap (deringer type) pistol in 9mm. He's not the biggest fan of recoil nor is his wife, possibly due to arthritis.
They had issues with the recoil using 115gr Winchester white box.

I reload for the 9mm and was wondering if I can help him out a bit by rolling a few light, yet safe rounds for punching paper at close range.

I've scoured the internet but have issues finding such a load. Since this handgun doesn't rely on a cycling slide to function, I'm hoping to find a load that will be energetic enough to reliably exit the barrel.

I have several thousand cases, but only a few types of bullets choose from.
On hand, I have 147gr Silvertips, 124gr Zero brand JHP, 124gr Golden Saber and 115gr plated round nose from Berry.
Of these, I plan to use Berry's 115gr plated RN.

The question is, what would be the lightest load of Bulleye or Win231 I can use with these plated bullets. The information I have so far is sketchy with some accounts saying 2gr of bulleye and others saying 2.5gr. These loads were intended for a revolver though and I don't have to worry about binding cylinders from primer setback. All it needs to do is reliably leave the barrel.

Seriously, 500-600fps isn't a problem... as long as it punches through paper, we're good. The backstop is a sodded dirt bank some distance away, so bounce-back isn't something I'm overly concerned with.

Thanks in advance!

Brevity Is The Soul of Wit.

-Shakespeare-
Old November 29, 2013, 01:53 AM   #2
Valornor

Bullseye is you best bet in powder choice and I would start with the 2.5grn load and give it a try. I would also seat the bullet in the case may 5 to 10 thou under minimum.

Have you looked up light 380acp loads? Everything is damn near the same with just a little added case capacity of the 9mm. Pressure in the 9mm will be less but the bullet should still exit the barrel.

Looking for a new blog dealing with firearms and reloading, check out http://theheadstamp.com/
Old November 29, 2013, 02:12 AM   #3
Snowdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valornor
Have you looked up light 380acp loads? Everything is damn near the same with just a little added case capacity of the 9mm. Pressure in the 9mm will be less but the bullet should still exit the barrel.
Aw heck, I hadn't thought of that. That's a good idea.
I guess my only concern would be that many of those loads are also intended for automatics that need to cycle and thus the least powerful loads might reflect this. However, it does give me a few more search options.

I'll see if I can find a light 115gr hardcast .380acp load intended for deringers.

Thanks Valornor.

Brevity Is The Soul of Wit.

-Shakespeare-
Old November 29, 2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Sevens

I have used many tens of thousands of plated bullets from every plated bullet manufacturer that I am aware of. I would submit that you are going to eventually find yourself at risk for sticking a bullet somewhere.

I believe fully that if you want to do this -- you should be using a lead bullet. It is far less likely to stick, and if it should happen to anyway, it'll be a whole world easier to remove.

Certainly, the tiny little barrel of the subject gun shouldn't be the worst platform for having to remove a stuck bullet, but it'd be much better to never stick one in the first place.

I will also add, however, that a sealed bore is far better for accomplishing this task than any revolver -- not that revolvers are all too common in 9mm, but the point is quite simply that the flash gap between cylinder & forcing cone is a -MAJOR- place of gas escape and a load that may reliably exit the barrel of a derringer or semi-auto is far, FAR more likely to find itself stuck fast inside the barrel of a revolver simply due to that flash gap.

In the end, you should have no problem building some loads to make their little gun go "pop", and that will give them some trigger time with it... but how well that sets them up for success could be argued; afterall, if they have no practice with even WWB 115gr, what might we assume if that pistol is loaded with a high-performance defense load? (no matter if this little pistol is never going to be employed in a defensive role)
Old November 29, 2013, 11:54 AM   #5
Sevens

I'll add that earlier this season I gave a bit of an attempt to produce some "lesser" recoiling 9mm loads, but I had a smaller window to operate in simply because I did want the loads to reliably feed & run in a semi-auto. I elected to try some .380 slugs, 100gr Berry's plated to be exact, and in the end I pretty much shelved the project. I couldn't find a decent balance between "feels much lighter" and yet "will run different pistols."

It's often been argued that you can tone down the recoil impulse of 9mm by running a 147 grain slug. Yes, the bullet is heavier, but the pressure release seems to be tempered and the recoil tends to be somewhat less sharp. This is what I've learned from some buddies of mine, I've not run 147gr slugs in 9mm myself.
Old November 29, 2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Strafer Gott

147gr in 9mm really does shoot softer in felt recoil, and I shoot them quite a bit(reloads), but for light ammo that barely cycles autos WWB is hard to beat. They are positively punky.