The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 2013, 12:07 AM   #1
Tmitch

Need For Extra The Profile Crimp Die

I'm looking for opinions. I want to use the Redding Carbide 3-Die Set. But is it necessary to purchase the extra Redding profile crimp die. I reload both 44 Mag and 45 Auto rim.
Terry Mitchell
Danville, Il.
Old November 27, 2013, 12:42 AM   #2
jamaica

Most 3 die sets contain a combination seating and crimp die. This will get the job done.

I have no info on the Extra Profile Crimp Die, but it should not be necessary.
Old November 27, 2013, 07:27 AM   #3
Real Gun

Hurray for those who can seat and crimp in one operation and yield good ammo. Let's not bully those who decide to seat and crimp in separate operations. They are not fools.
Old November 27, 2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Real Gun

The problem with most 3-die sets is that they include an expander die for manual powder measure, not a PTX. It's fine as long as it will convert directly to a case-activated powder measure.

Lee is good, but Hornady sets have a throw away die for turret and progressive users. I wonder if that is the case with Redding as well.

All but Lee, from what I have seen, require separate purchase of a dedicated crimp die, if wanting to do that operation separately from seating.

Regardless, with some brands, we are not talking about a lot of money with dies included that are not used. It's just that one must be careful not to assume that a "set" has everything one needs to reload a caliber. Some package sets targeted for turrets/progressives, and some do not.

Last edited by Real Gun; November 27, 2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: clarify that unneeded die is expander only, not PTX.
Old November 27, 2013, 09:21 AM   #5
F. Guffey

Dillon did research, in there effort they decided crimping while the bullet was being seated was a conflict, as soon as the crimp folded into the bullet the case below the mouth expanded, because of the conflict they decided the case below the crimp could bulge. They decided the bulge could lesson bullet hold.

Lyman decided the same thing when recommending to crimp and or not to crimp, they decided if the procedure was not done correctly crimping could do more harm than good. roll crimp and or tapper crimp was necessary for pistol straight wall cases.

Redding profile crimp die: The instructions that come with the die says “lightly lube the case’'. Then there is the profile as in identifying the die as being different, it is a crimp die but I have to wonder what profile has to do with crimping.

I have two pistols that like new ammo, I can run my reloads through a carbide full length sizer die after crimping, I am not required to lube the carbide die, if I used a standard full length sizer die, I would be required to lightly lube the the cases. Is it possible I have been crimping first and by running my cases through a full length sizer die to uniform the profile of my reloaded ammo? Redding also has a die identified as a shoulder bump die, it is not possible to bump the shoulder without case body support. Point? I decided I did not need a bump die because it was a full length sizer die with a loose neck.

F. Guffey
Old November 27, 2013, 11:30 AM   #6
jamaica

Quote:
Hurray for those who can seat and crimp in one operation and yield good ammo. Let's not bully those who decide to seat and crimp in separate operations. They are not fools.
Pardon, what do you see in my post that even hints towards bullying anyone?

The reason I say it won't be necessary is simply that I have re-loaded for 50 plus years, many thousands of rounds and never had a Profile die. So, I can truthfully say from this experience that " it should not be necessary".

Whether you decide to seat and crimp in one operation or two, it can still be done with the combination crimp seat/crimp die. You just have to adjust it for seat then seat, then adjust it for crimp then crimp if you want separate operations.

If using a four station turret a second die would be in order.
Old November 27, 2013, 11:39 AM   #7
jamaica

F. Guffy
Quote:
it is a crimp die but I have to wonder what profile has to do with crimping.
I do believe that if you put too hard of a crimp on the bullet, it may, as suggested, bulge the brass below the crimp. Not a good thing.

As I understand it the profile die lends support to that portion of the brass as the crimp is made so that it can't possibly bulge. Yes, I also see the possibility of sizing the bullet a bit on thick brass.
Old November 27, 2013, 03:13 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Then there is the profile as in identifying the die as being different, it is a crimp die but I have to wonder what profile has to do with crimping.
It maintains the 'profile' of the cartridge.

The Redding Profile Crimp die does three things for straight-walled 'handgun' cartridges:
1. Supports the case walls.
2. Crimps.

I said three things, because the crimp is two stages. It starts as a mild taper crimp, but if you keep turning the die in, it transitions to a roll crimp.

It's nice to have, for some cartridges, but isn't a requirement.
I wouldn't buy one for .45 AR. And, I've never felt the need to buy one for .44 Mag. The standard roll crimp meets my needs.
Old November 27, 2013, 05:02 PM   #9
Real Gun

Quote:
Quote:
Pardon, what do you see in my post that even hints towards bullying anyone?
Bullying might be harsh for some, but it is at least harassment of the subject EVERYTIME it is mentioned.
Old November 29, 2013, 08:57 AM   #10
jamaica

Crimping seems to be the one subject that gives people a lot of stress, so it does get beat around a lot for sure. Have a great "Black Friday"! Don't get trampled.
Old November 29, 2013, 05:03 PM   #11

You might want to go to the REDDING website and check for sure, but as I understand it, all Titanium Carbide die sets in revolver calibers now include the Profile Crimp function. I agree though that you'll get better results by seating and crimping in 2 separate operations. The only time I seat and crimp in a single operation is with REDDING dies and their Boss press that has the Top- Dead-Center function that holds OACL tolerances to a minimum.