The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 25, 2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Peter M. Eick

RSI Pressure Trace?

I am starting to think about getting an RSI Pressure Trace setup, so I am soliciting your advice and suggestions.

I bought a contender specifically with this in mind and I am probably only going to use it on handgun ammunition. I don't shoot enough rifle to really need to push the limits much and I tend to stay with book loads for rifle.

So would you recommend the Wireless Pressure Trace II, Pressure II and Shooting Lab Software bundle or get the full Entire RSI Shooting lab? Also why would you recommend it?

What sort of tips can you offer in its use?

What I want to start pressure measure is my 357 max, 357 Mag, 38/44HS and 38 Special reloads. I figure I can do all of this with 3 barrels and I can have fun learning about my reloads.
Old November 25, 2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Dave P

Peter, have you checked over at AccurateShooter? They might well have info.
Old November 26, 2013, 11:07 AM   #3
SL1

Peter, One thought about using your Contender: it has a springy action and the frame can stretch if you use it for stiff loads in cases with large heads. You are probably OK with loads less than 45,000 psi and any case head that fits. The cartridges you list all seem frame-friendly. But, if you get the urge to test some of the hot revolver rounds like the .45 Casull or the .500 S&W, you might want a different test vehicle.

SL1
Old November 26, 2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The difficulty in using it on a Contender (or Encore) is that the gauge has to be mounted where the barrel shape is consistent and not "attached" to anything.

For a cartridge as short as 357mag and similar, the gauge will have to be mounted FAR forward of the cartridge itself. You need to be at least 1/4" forward of the lower "lug" (I don't know the real term) on the barrel and not on any substantial contour if there is one.

If the gauge is mounted in any non-standard location, you must fire calibrated ammo so you can enter an adjustment factor to compensate. You may well need an adjustment factor anyway, especially if you're dealing with low pressure or very thick metal.

Read the manual here and it will answer some of your questions and probably cause several more.

If I had the money (and needed a Chrony), I'd get the bundle for sure. If I were buying a chrony, I'd be buying the CED anyway.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old November 26, 2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Peter M. Eick

I will hit accurateshooter. Thanks for the cross link.

I scanned over the manual. Thanks for the link also.

I will have to rethink the contender concept and investigate more. Obviously I am biting off more than I can chew easily right now. I need to work up a better plan before I invest.
Old November 26, 2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You can email Jim at RSI too. He responds quickly. He despises QuickLoad and firmly believes in Pressure Trace (it is his system after all) so you have to see through the bias. Nice guy though.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old November 27, 2013, 06:16 PM   #7
tobnpr

Cool toy.
Try a search over at the Hide.

I was involved in a peeing contest over there a while back with a guy that swore that "clean" primer pockets shot better than "dirty" ones...

Well, my personal opinion is some things matter, and some don't- and that's one that "don't".

Guy with an RSI PT volunteered to do an experiment (well, somewhat unscientific, but good enough for us) and voila- vindicated me. The "clean" primer pockets had more inconsistent pressure curves and burn than the (OMG) "dirty" pockets...
www.biggorillagunworks.com