The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 26, 2013, 11:08 PM   #51
Moe Howard

Re: Does your gun do both CCW and nightstand duty?

I have six conceal carry guns which include my nightstand gun. My Springfield Loaded is on my nightstand however it is my least carried gun, but the most shot at the range.
Old May 27, 2013, 07:03 PM   #52
dayman

I carry a xds most days. I love it, but it's pretty small. Also, my primary concerns at home are foxes, raccoons, and occasionally a bear that needs to be scared off. So I generally keep a 9mm with a light loaded with fmj on my nightstand. My spare mag has jhps.
In the morning I put it back into the little wall safe in my closet and grab my carry gun. Not a big deal.
Old May 27, 2013, 09:33 PM   #53
FairWarning

No, because I can't fit my 12 GA under a shirt, especially in summer.

But as far as my handgun is concerned, the same one is usually backup at home and primary elsewhere.
Old May 28, 2013, 08:37 AM   #54
CajunBass

Pretty much. Out of the holster, onto the nightstand, and back in the morning.

Simple enough for me.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 28, 2013, 08:20 PM   #55
SauerGrapes

One gun does both. If it's good enough to carry, it's good enough for nite.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old May 29, 2013, 06:23 AM   #56
giaquir

Night stand---Glock 30SF with TLR2
Winter carry- Ruger SR9C
Summer carry Ruger LC9
Old May 29, 2013, 07:35 PM   #57
Hiker 1

Yep. G23 for both.
Old May 29, 2013, 07:46 PM   #58
Special Projects

Nightstand: Glock 21
Summer carry: Talo Colt New Agent
Winter carry: Sig Compact Stainless 1911

So, different guns. I prefer to carry and shoot 1911's, but my nightstand and competition guns are Glocks.
Old May 29, 2013, 09:38 PM   #59
9mmfan

Quote:
I have six conceal carry guns...
I bet that gets heavy...
Old May 29, 2013, 10:27 PM   #60
Moe Howard

I bet that gets heavy...

Ok...that was funny
Old May 30, 2013, 05:43 PM   #61
chaim

Mine are usually different, though they sometimes overlap.

In my case, I live in MD where I can't carry, but I'm often in VA and sometimes in PA and WV where I can (I have a UT permit). So, not carrying everyday may change my answer. After I move to VA (I'm looking at apartments and moving this year if I get a job there) my answer might change.

My potential carry guns include a S&W 65LS (3" .357mag), S&W 1911SC (Commander sized 1911), Ruger LCP, Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro, SIG P290RS, Kel Tec Pf-9, S&W 442, Taurus 85CH, and Rossi 461. I will soon have a .45ACP SIG P250 Compact for that role as well (currently MD State Police have a 2-3 month backlog on their state background checks, while the 7 day waiting period the state requires is long over, they have bullied most FFLs into waiting for the background check before releasing new guns). I no longer carry the 1911 because I am moving away from SA autos (only DAO and DA/SA with only a decocker for autos), I don't carry the 65LS because I need to take it to a smith (it is out of time and spits lead horribly). I haven't put enough rounds through the Rossi or Kel Tec to carry them yet. I used to primarily carry the S&W and Taurus snubs, but since getting the SIG P290RS it has seen about 80% of my carry time. I suspect the Kel Tec and the SIG P250 will get a lot as well once they are shot enough.

I prefer revolvers for home defense. When awakened at 4am and groggy, I'd prefer the simplicity of a revolver (though I may consider the DAO P250 when it is finally in my possession). My home defense/nightstand guns are not actually my first choice for that duty. My Sentry quick access safe is too small for the gun I want to use (my .45LC S&W 625MG), my 65LS needs to be sent to a smith, so I have my S&W 442 and Taurus 85CH in the safe and pop the 442 in my pocket when I want to investigate a suspicious noise or answer the door for an unknown person knocking (but when my overall alert level is low). If the alert level is high, I grab my shotgun or AR.
Old May 30, 2013, 06:15 PM   #62
9mmfan

Quote:
Ok...that was funny
Thank you, Mr. Howard. I aim to please.

When I was waiting for my CHL to come in, during the great DPS backlog of 2008, I REALLY wanted it to still be chilly out, so's I could strap on all of my handguns (5 at the time), put on my winter overcoat, and walk around the block once. Just to do it. It had warmed up by the time it came, so no dice. In retrospect, prolly for the best. With my luck, I would have been stopped, and had a lot of 'splainin' to do...

I have a few more than that now, so wouldn't be feasible.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old May 31, 2013, 02:04 AM   #63
Justice06RR

Different guns

I carry a Glock19 Gen3 for CCW, and a Mossberg500 with a flashlight sits next to the nightstand.

The shotgun is too heavy for CCW
Old May 31, 2013, 02:18 AM   #64
mrt949

MP 40 C or RUGER SP101 .
Old May 31, 2013, 07:44 AM   #65
Tactical Jackalope

Does your gun do both CCW and nightstand duty?

I'm still doing the same. If I don't already have the tac light mounted when I CCW that day/night. If not I just.

Glock 19: Out of holster > TLR-1s > lay down on nightstand. Night night.

My Glock 21sf feel so alone lol kidding, 13 other handguns in there to keep him company. Just lost his duty as carry and night watch.

Also have 4 mags of 9mm Glock 17 mags out on the table just in case.

For those who have said they have a shotgun at night, do you leave it out all day and just put it next to you at night? Or is it locked away in a safe?

I wouldn't leave any weapon out and not in a safe when I'm not around it. Just wondering how you guys do it.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:52 AM   #66
Sheriff Gotcha

CZ-85B (top) was my first gun and was for HD. Shortly thereafter I got my carry license and realized that the CZ was a bit heavy and big for comfortable carry. I wanted a slightly smaller full size gun that was lighter as well, so I got the FNS (bottom).

Now the FNS serves as both a carry and nightstand gun.

I'm looking to get a Rem 870 to keep next to the bed at night. Just haven't found the right price.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:58 AM   #67
spacemanspiff

Night gathers, and now my pistols watch begins. It shall not end until my death. My pistol shall take no cheap ammo, hold no one elses security, mother no glocks. She shall wear no target sights and win no three gun matches. She shall live and die at my post. She is the sword in the darkness that goes Boom. She is the watcher of my home. She is the shield that guards the realms of my loved ones. She pledged her life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:03 PM   #68
psyfly

Nope.

I might be carrying one of three or four choices (incl. Kahr PM9, Para LDA Carry 45, NAA Guardian .32), among others, depending.

My "nightstand" gun stays in my "nightstand"; a Ruger Security Six in my apartment and a Taurus Tracker .44mag at my home.

Oh, and a Rossi 20ga coach gun under the bed, I wouldn't mind finding a way to CC that one .

W
Old May 31, 2013, 12:57 PM   #69
vba

Night stand--- Colt 1991A1 (ORM)
Winter carry-- Same Colt 1991A1 or S&W M&P9c
Summer carry- Kahr CM9 or S&W M&P9c
Old June 1, 2013, 11:41 PM   #70
RBid

Does your gun do both CCW and nightstand duty?

Currently using a Glock 19 (Gen 4) for everything. I don't have a weapon mounted light on it. I have a 220 lumen hand held light next to it.
Old June 2, 2013, 02:41 AM   #71
peacefulgary

I carry this heavy SOB all day, and at the end of the day I take it out of its holster and place it beside my bed, just slightly out of arm's reach.

Old June 2, 2013, 07:03 AM   #72
sigpro2022

Glock G26 carry.
SigPro2022 with Streamlight TLR4 nightstand.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:01 AM   #73
Willie Lowman

I carry either a G26 or a G23. When I am traveling, the carry gun is the bed side gun. At the house I have a G24 with the full accompaniment of extra ammo and flashlights.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:03 AM   #74
Mike19

Carry: SIG P238

Bedroom: Beretta 9 mm PX4 Storm Compact w/ Protec flashlight attached.

Closet by front door: .45 Colt 1911 in case my ex-wife tries to make good on her threat to "blow your f----ing head off" with one of her shotguns.
Old June 6, 2013, 12:01 PM   #75
EveryCaliber

The Glock 19 works well for me. During the day I carry it IWB. While I sleep, it's in the nightstand at arms reach. When I put it in the nightstand I leave it loaded and in the holster. I bought it at a time when I could only afford one gun, so the "double duty" option was one of the main selling points for me. Not too big for carry, not too small for HD, and has good capacity.