The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 19, 2012, 12:40 AM   #1
Edavis456

class A misdemeanor

I want to go for my Premise/Permit, but I have one class A misdemeanor. Would this hurt my chances of getting it? I live in NYC and have not broken any other laws. I never did any jail time or paid any fines.

Last edited by tyme; February 19, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old February 19, 2012, 09:57 AM   #2
kgpcr

What did you do? i think it depends on what the class A was for
Smith M&P 40
Old February 19, 2012, 11:41 AM   #3
AH.74

It's "misdemeanor." And read the requirements carefully. Some states have dis-qualifiers over and above the normal ones with misdemeanors, which are usually ones having to do with domestic abuse.

In most cases if it is not having to do with domestic abuse or drugs, you should be ok.
Old February 19, 2012, 11:49 AM   #4
maestro pistolero

Quote:
want to go for my Premise/Permit but i have one class A mistermeaner would this hurt my chances of getting it ?
Any hints as to the nature of the misdemeanor? Was it violent?

Last edited by maestro pistolero; February 23, 2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old February 19, 2012, 11:53 AM   #5
overkill0084

The nature of the crime is the big driver, as previously noted.
Also the POTENTIAL maximum sentence may come into play as well. Even if you never spent the night in jail for a crime, but you had the potential to go away for say, 3 years, that could toss a wrench into the machinery.
I recall a thread some time back about a guy who was getting jacked up on an old DUI. It wasn't his first and the POTENTIAL sentence was like 3 years but he did nothing close to that. But it created a major poopstorm for him and his family. This is not something you want to experiment with. If there is any doubt as to whether you are legal, you must seek competent legal advice.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old February 19, 2012, 11:58 AM   #6
Edavis456

The lady in the train booth in the train station told a cop I didn't pay my fare, so I was placed under arrest. But I was ROR then let go the same day. I had to show up for court later that year. I was told I would be on probation for 6 months with no jail time if I stayed out of trouble, and I wouldn't have to worry about it the following years. I didn't give the cops a hard time. I showed them my security guard's id, and they ROR me. It wasn't violent also.

Last edited by tyme; February 19, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old February 19, 2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Edavis456

Thanks a lot guys. I have faith that I can get my permit and be merry.

Last edited by tyme; February 19, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old February 19, 2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Technosavant

You should be fine. Sometimes there's a time period to pass (I know someone who had a SIS for a class C misdemeanor- 3rd degree assault*... he has to wait 5 years from the final adjudication of the case to apply for his CCW). Other times there isn't.

* Before anybody says someone with an assault record should be disqualified permanently, you might want to look up what some states call 3rd degree assault. It can cover literally anything somebody took as being threatening.
Old February 20, 2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Ruthless4christ

geeze, remind me to be extra nice to train booth ladies.
Old February 21, 2012, 06:57 AM   #10
Glenn Dee

Edavis... it sounds like you were ROR'd (released on your own recognasense {SP})... Then civen something called a conditional ACD. Adjurnment in contemplation of dismissal. If you are someone who's steered clear of trouble, and arrested for a misdemeanor, then stayed out of trouble for the prescribed time... the case against you would be dismissed. The charge for fare beating in NY is "Theft of services" It is a misdemeanor. NYPD will almost always use any criminal record as an excuse to deny a permit. The definition of a crime in NYS is "A misdemeanor or a felony" Excluding various administrative code misdemeanors.

My advice is to go to the court and get a certified copy of the case disposition. Keep in mind that pleading guilty to a misdemeanor is the same as having been found guilty after a trial. Most often the state will offer to accept a plea to a lesser charge like disorderly conduct. Discon is a simple violation and dont give you a criminal record.

Not including the arrest in the application will automatically disqualify you. Include the arrest information, along with a certified copy of the court disposition of the case. This may even speed up the time frame for the investigation.
Old February 21, 2012, 07:58 AM   #11
Yankee Doodle

There are lawyers in NYC that practically specialize in pistol permit applications. Find one.
With or without competent legal help, you are in for a long fight. You stand a better chance with.