The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 27, 1999, 03:46 PM   #1
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Background:
Kevin Mad Dog McClung of Mad Dog Knives has done it again. For those who may not know it, Kevin is not just a scientist and premier knife maker, but a highly qualified gunsmith in his own right.

Mad Dog is currently putting together a specialized .308 hunting rifle for me...much more on that later. In discussing barrel break-in, Kevin made a strong pitch for Sentry Solutions' products. Seeing as how Kevin is not easily impressed by products (or people ), when he recommends something, it's worth looking into.

Review:
Sentry produces two specific products for bores: Smooth-Kote and BP2000 Powder. Both are based on solid lubricant and dry film technologies beyond my limited comprehension. Essentially, the products create a dry, layered crystal coating that is intended to create a nonstick surface.

Smooth-Kote is a dry lubricant suspended in an alcohol carrier. When the alcohol evaporates it leaves a dry molecular coating in a pre-cleaned and degreased barrel. The product takes a bit of work to use, as the barrel must be completely clean and heated with a hair dryer. That done, Smooth-Kote is claimed to *replace* gun oils and barrel treatments.

BP2000 Powder is a black, graphite looking dry powder that is used to "fine tune" the lubrication process. The powder is applied to a tight fitting patch, wrapped to a jag and used to "burnish" the barrel interior with 40 or 50 strokes.

Upon application of the two products, the manufacturer claims that the bore may be maintained by a few strokes of a *dry* nylon brush and touch up with the (original saved) BP impregnated patch. Bore cleaners are not recommended as they will actually remove the dry lubricant requiring the entire process to be repeated.

I recently used these two products to treat a new-in-box Ruger Model 77/22. As most know, nothing fouls a barrel worse than .22 rimfire lead bullets. Over the past week, I have run 1,000 rounds of nonjacketed .22LR thru the gun. I used the nylon brush method 3 times: 3 or four passes with the brush; one pass with a clean patch; 4-5 passes with the BP2000 patch.

I failed to find a glimmer of lead on the clean patches....they continued to come out coated with the BP2000 powder and some normal powder fouling. A bore light revealed no trace of fouling after the "cleaning" process.

Being charitable and cautious, I subjected the barrel to the Outers Electrochemical system, using Outer's Lead Removal solution. I first ran an alcohol soaked patch thru the barrel to remove the Sentry Solutions' products. The Outer's system failed miserably to find any trace of lead in the barrel and showed it "clean" within about 10 minutes.

Tests will continue, but I think these products may be the ultimate bore conditioner for new and used rifles...clearly, the lack of lead would indicate less friction, higher velocity, lower heat and extended barrel life.

Mad Dog Knives may be viewed and ordered at http://www.mdenterprise.com/

For more on Sentry Solutions products try http://www.sentrysolutions.com/ .

Sentry Solutions products may be purchased from our sister site at http://www.bladeforums.com

Rich
Old April 7, 1999, 07:01 AM   #2
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Rich,
That is an amazing report. Condition of the bore is the most important area in firearms maintenance. I have seen many rifles that were meticulously kept on the out side but with only mediocre efforts given to the bore. If this product is this good I for one will be glad you mentioned it.
Old April 7, 1999, 09:14 AM   #3
MarkW

I am just curious, how did we ever get by without all of this marvelous mystery products.

It is a wonder that we were ever able to hit anything we shot at.
Old April 7, 1999, 10:31 PM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Mark-
We got along the same way we got along without toasters, dishwashers and microwaves...just fine. Progress isn't always bad, though.
Rich
Old April 10, 1999, 10:47 PM   #5
MarkW

When it's progress.
Old April 14, 1999, 09:00 AM   #6
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

While at the Shot Show this year I acquired all types of product samples. One such sample was from “Black Dog”(800-580-3811 ; http://netnow.micron.net/~loonout/lubprot.htm ). From Rich’s description it appears to be similar to the Sentry product. Has anyone used the Black Dog brand or know how it compares to the Sentry product?

Rich if your interested I’ll send you my Black Dog sample pack and you can compare it to the Sentry. I am curious as to how it will stack up.

[This message has been edited by Scott Evans (edited April 14, 1999).]