The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 8, 2005, 10:46 PM   #1
UT_Air_Assault

O/U Choke tube advise

I just went out and got myself my first Over/Under (Beretta Sporting 686. Very broke, but very happy), yet I'm just getting back into shooting trap & skeet and am wondering what you folks may recomend on which tubes to use and on how to set the them up for trap & skeet shooting.
Old April 9, 2005, 01:23 AM   #2
rockinguy2

As far as i know each of the three chokes does a different thing. The full has the smallest spread of bb's but it will teach you how to shoot because one you can hit them with a full you can hit them with anything. Next is the modfied which is probably the best because it is the very consistint and has a much wider spread then the full. Last there is the impaired which has the widest spread but i heard it can sometimes just go over the bird all toghther. From there it is your decision which of the three you want to use
Old April 9, 2005, 03:25 AM   #3
arcticap

I recommend a full choke for trap shooting because you won't be forced to shoot as fast and will be able to shoot more effectively at longer distances. A full choke came standard with my trap gun. Some people can shoot perfect scores with a modified choke but they are usually able to get on target more quickly before the bird gets out of effective shot range.
Old April 9, 2005, 03:43 AM   #4
SmokinTom

Imp. Modified for the top barrel for 20 to 23 yard shooting. Full for 24 to 27 yard shooting is a good start. For singles (16 yard) shooting open it up to Imp. Cyl. or Modified. Cheek down and watch your target. Smoke-um!!!!!
Old April 9, 2005, 07:17 AM   #5
K80Geoff

For Skeet save up your spare change and get two Skeet tubes to use. Beretta tubes are not that expensive and can be found everywhere.

If you shoot Trap at the 16 yard line with a mounted gun Modified choke should do nicely.
Old April 9, 2005, 09:20 PM   #6
kudu

For trap shooting shoot the lower barrel with a mod or full choke in place. By shooting the lower barrel the gun will recoil more directly back and not tend to climb up and into your cheek as bad.

The same for skeet, lower barrel first will help get onto the second target faster, chokes would be skeet and skeet, top and bottom. Beretta should come with 2 skeet chokes, an I/C, a mod and a full. Sometimes an improved/mod choke is also in the mix. Some guns may be set up to shoot skeet1 and skeet2 for the second shot, a skeet2 is a bit tighter than I/C, this is mainly for skeet doubles.

Above all, make sure the gun fits.
Old April 9, 2005, 10:55 PM   #7
HSMITH

What kudu said, the man knows what he is talking about....