The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2002, 08:28 PM   #1
PDshooter

Best load for M1Garand&Bullet?

Whats your best load for your M1
Powder
Bullet wt.
I have been using Mil, surplus IMR-4895, and pulled 147gr FMJ. Thinking about picking up some Sierra 168gr HPBT match.

What do you think
Old March 28, 2002, 10:35 PM   #2
Unkel Gilbey

Here's something to try...

Julian Hatcher was instrumental in developing the M72 match load for the M1 Garand (match accurized rifle - of course) and the bullet of choice was the 173 grain FMJBT. Many different powders were used in an effort to obtain the best results (Hi-Vel, IMR4350, 4320, and 4895) but no one propellant really proved to be superior to the others.

What WAS found out was that with this weight bullet, the optimum muzzle velocity was found to be 2640 fps.

Armed with this knowledge, I would therefore start a quest to first obtain the requisite bullets. This is sometimes difficult. I would recommend gun shows, searching through the Shotgun news, or maybe news groups or surplus websites.

Incidentally, the "Brown box - Special Match" military 308 ammunition uses this bullet - and if you really must have this bullet, some of this Special match ammo would be a good place to start.

I've tried Sierra's 175 grain HPBT with very good results, although the powder charge has to sometime be adjusted to get to the required velocity.

The next thing is to determine which powder will work best for you. Although the Army spent a lot of time and effort to determine that no one powder was superior, these tests were done almost 40 years ago, and I believe that we've come a ways in the chemistry of gunpowder. The key is to try to hit the required velocity, and see if minute changes up or down in charge weight will have an effect on accuracy.

Having said that, a friend of mine passed this load along to me. He said that using the 173 grain (is it 172 or 173 grains???) bullet, and a charge of 47.0 grains of IMR4064, he obtained the best accuracy out of his Garand.

Since my rifle hasn't been accurized, I can only attest that this load is still shooting better than I can hold them, and I've yet to really find the need to try to fine tune it to my rifle.

As with any 'suggested load' that you'd read about here, I'd recommend that you back it off a tenth and build up to the 47 gr. of IMR4064. But I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Good luck!

Unkel Gilbey
Old March 29, 2002, 10:04 AM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

PD Shooter I use milsurp 4895 and the 147 grain FMJ in both my Garand and 03A3. I use a charge of 47 grains but remember this is a NON CANISTER powder, so don't take that charge to heart. 4895 and 4064 are 2 good powders for the Garand. You don't want to go to any slower powder or a heavier bullet than 180 grains. Chance of bending an op rod if you do that.
Old March 29, 2002, 10:56 AM   #4
sundog

47 gr 4064 and a 173 gr NM bullet. Good stuff!