The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 25, 2013, 07:37 PM   #1
g20gunny

700x or wst for 44 mag 310 cast?

I have about 30 lbs of 310 wfngc and a lot of wst and 700x powders and am wondering about using them for slow thumper/practice loads In my sbh hunter. I have shot these bullets at 1330 with h110 and have no signs of leading but am looking for some light loads with these powders. I have seen many people substitute wst for bullseye and have seen bullseye data around 1000fps which makes me wonder if anyone here has had any luck with wst and cast boolits. I may even try them without gas checks and see if they stabilize at plinking ranges. I'm not a fan of substituting powders but am curious if anyone has links to legit wst or 700x load data.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." --George Washington
Old November 25, 2013, 08:51 PM   #2
papershotshells

g20gunny,

I looked in an old IMR handloaders guide that I have in my files and I did find SOME 44 mag data with 700X powder.

Unfortunately, the heaviest bullet weight listed in this guide is 240 grains, as at the time of publication very heavy 44 mag bullets were still off in the future.

According to this guide, 9.5grs of 700X with a 240gr lead bullet gave 1185 f.p.s. But the pressure was right up there at 40,000 c.u.p., so I wouldn't substitute a 310gr bullet with out some research and a healthy reduction in powder charge.

Sorry I couldn't give you more specific data, but maybe that is a place to start your research. If it were me, I'd probably be able to come up with a load from that, through some research and careful interpolation.

Papershotshells