The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1
AL45

Reloading military brass

I picked up around 500 WCC military .223 cases at the police range, cleaned them, removed the primer, removed the crimp with a 1/2 inch countersink, lubed them and resized them. They were fairly tough to resize and some had square shaped marks that I could see with a magnifying glass, evenly spaced, around the top of the neck. Most of the primers went in easy but some took a lot of force. Upon inspection, I noticed that some of the primers were at a very slight angle in the primer pocket and a couple were dented in. I de-primed those, re reamed them, and the next primers seated fine. My questions are: What caused the square marks? If I had shot the primers that were dented and not perfectly flat, what are the likely results? Why was this brass tougher to re-size than the PMC brass I had re-sized. I am using a Lee single stage press and new Lee dies.
Old November 23, 2013, 09:53 PM   #2
cookie5

I think the marks were from crimping the bullet. I have had experience with different mil surplus type brass and they were easy to resize. Doing the primer pockets adds time to the case prep.
Old November 23, 2013, 10:03 PM   #3
AL45

Cookie5, I haven't seated the bullets yet. The marks occurred during sizing, unless, they were already there and I just didn't notice them.
Old November 23, 2013, 11:06 PM   #4
Metal god

I don't know this for sure but I'd say the marks were there before from the crimp . When the case mouth expanded/stretched when fired you don't see them as much . once necked back down there back . I had something like that with 308 case but not the same . I bought some once fire brass and the mouth was flared out a bit kinda like a bell . When I sized them the flare got bigger to the point of a ridge . Never did really figure out what that was but it was on all of them .

As for the primers I had that issue with both WCC-06 cases and LC-09 cases . These were all 308 cases as well using Win LR primers . None of the cases ever had the primer pockets crimped .

What happened in my case was the tight primer pockets cause my priming tool to dent the primer cup . In some cases it flattened them a little and others it flattened one side making it look crooked . All the WCC brass fired fine and although at time they were hard to prime it was not that bad .

The LC-09 brass was some of the hardest primers I've ever had to seat . Those fired so inconsistently that I ended up pulling all the bullets I did not fire do to this issue and scrapping the brass . I was getting 7 and 8 hundred fps differences from shot to shot and at times I was told you could see a puff of something hit my chrono . I believe that was un spent powder do to the primers not igniting all the powder . That I believe was because I crushed the primer so bad when seating them They did not fully ignite or were bent inside the pocket and no longer lined up perfect with the flash hole

What ever the case was for me . smashing the primer cup when seating the primer was not a good thing .

Last edited by Metal god; November 23, 2013 at 11:12 PM.